“in need of renovation”

Ranked #168 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
wakefield
“in need of renovation”
Reviewed 14 November 2005

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and although it was clean it was in a poor state of repair. The hotel needs renovation desperately, the room was shabby and the bath taps leaked. It is very close to universal studios parks, only a short walk but I would say you would be better off at the Doubletree next door which was lovely.

• Stayed November 2005
5 Thank RuthnRobinM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
US
Reviewed 25 October 2005

We stayed at this Hotel for 3 nights-Oct 13-16th. My husband and I brought our daughter for her Sweet 16 b-day. We all loved it. We stayed in a one bedroom suite on the 8th floor. VERY happy with it-very clean and the bathroom was great. We are very particular when it comes to cleanliness of the hotels we stay at....this one was very satisfactory. The pool was nothing great, but we didn't go for the pool. Friday's next door was good-we loved the food. Prices were very reasonable.

Halloween Horror Nights is a must!! So much fun-very scary, though. Definitely not for young kids. Also, the crowd tends to get quite intoxicated the later you're there....

I must agree with another reviewer regarding the taxi scam. We didn't take a taxi to the parks-it's literally a ten minute walk....we timed it. Not bad at all. But when we asked the Bellman to get us a taxi to the airport for our departure, he called a car service. Cost us $40 without tip. Honestly, we didn't tip them-way too annoyed by the whole thing. We got ripped off earlier, too, when we asked for a taxi to International Drive....again, it was a car service. Not a taxi. We were just too tired a frustrated at that point. Make sure you specify many times to the bellman, or call for yourself....but get a taxi with a meter. We got a taxi for the ride home from International Drive and it was much cheaper. Very friendly, too.

Other than the car services, we really enjoyed our trip and I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

7 Thank MistyLou1
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 16 October 2005

Me and two others stayed in this Holiday Inn across from the Universal Main gate on October 12th. We were in a 1 bed room suite, and it was very nice. You can tell that they are in process of renovating the entire Hotel, but they really made our floor, and room look nice. We were on the second floor. I was extreamly worried about the quality of the hotel, due to the negitive reviews, but I got a really good discount with them through a family member, so I deciede to try the Hotel. After one night here, I decieded to reserve a 2 bed room suite for later on in October for my other small vacation for H.H.N. This is not a vary fancy hotel, just really the basic stuff, but either way, it is very nice/simple/plain/clean.

7 Thank John V
Michigan
Reviewed 11 October 2005

I stayed at this hotel as part of a Northwest World Vacations Package. After a long day of flying I wanted to take a walk for some exercise. I asked about walking to the International Drive area, but was cautioned against it. It was suggested that I walk over at Universal's City Walk, but recommended that I take a cab. I was told it would cost about $6. They called the "taxi" for me, but when it showed up, it wasn't a taxi at all. It was a limo service with no meter. The driver took me to Universal and told me the fare was $7, not $6. I grudgingly paid. For my return, I decided to take one of the real cabs from the cab stand at Universal. The trip back cost only $3.25! The following morning, I found out I could have taken the trolly to International Drive area for only 75 cents. The hotel is nothing special, drab 60's era Holiday Inn. I wouldn't recommend it unless you had no other options.

5 Thank MrBillMi
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 August 2005

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for a week and were very impressed. We booked at very short notice (having fled an extremely unpleasant motel on 192) and were treated with courtesy and sympathy. Our room was great - large, clean and comfortable with views of the pool. We could watch the fireworks at Universal each night from our balcony. The adjoining restaurant (TGI Friday's) was fine - and free for my daughter, and room service was great. Best of all, the staff at this hotel are fantastic - they made us feel very welcome indeed and were able to answer all our questions. There is a Universal ticket office in the lobby, which we found handy, and it was great to be able to walk (15 minutes) to Universal. The only slight problem we had was some young boys in the hotel making prank calls to our room - but I reported this to the front desk, and it was dealt with immediately by security - the boys phoned back ten minutes later to apologise. I would certainly recommend this hotel if you plan to visit Universal, though you'd definitely need a car to get to Disney from here.

• Stayed August 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 July 2005

Recently our family spent an evening at the Holiday Inn in Orlando Universal entrance. We decided upon the Holiday Inn because of its reputation and its location. Location of this motel was wonderful--very convenient to Universal Studios and the people at the hotel were friendly and helpful.

Now the problems: First room we were not able to open the door with our key, returned to front desk, we were moved to a new room. Similar problem—now we are not “motel rookies” and we know how to use the card key, but this door was very stubborn. We finally won out and were able to get into our room.

I was very unimpressed with the cleanliness of our room, the condition of our mattress and the bad condition of the bathroom. Bathtub had been refinished some how and finish was peeling off. Ceiling was in rough shape and I spent 20 minutes wiping up the bathroom before we felt comfortable using it. It was late, we were tired, disappointed in our meal at the connecting TGI Fridays and we didn’t feel like moving again. So instead of complaining, I cleaned up.

Discussed this with personnel at check out, they were very apologetic and reduced bill. This was a good resolution to the problem in the morning, but I would have preferred a clean and comfortable room.

Next issue—TGI Friday connected to the motel. It was interesting, on our way back from our supper we heard wait staff outside complaining about the poor tips that they were receiving. I have a clue folks—your service was unacceptable—horrible in fact! We waited for 20 minutes to get waited on, waited another 20 minutes to get a salad after being told it was ready and another 40 minutes to get our food and no follow-up. Nope, it wasn’t busy! Lots of people running around, but very inefficient. My bet is if service was improved tips would improve as well.

This motel could be wonderful with the needed maintenance and cleaning. Again--the people were wonderful! Which is certainly a plus.

4 Thank sportsmom2x2
hong kong
Reviewed 22 July 2005

I checked in on Jul 18 night with booking thru travel agent in HK. This is the most terrible hotel that I had spent my vacation.
I stayed on the 4th floor.

1) The room smells.
2) Air - condiitioner too much noise. Well, it is not noise. It is like an old truck has the engine on next to you all the time.
3) Cockcoaches in the room.
4) Water for shower is weak like drippling.
5) flea bites found on my son within 5 minutes entering the room. then my wife.
6) Walls are dirty.
7) Carpet is moisted and very very dirty.
8) bath room is not clean.

Now, I checked in another hotel near by with a similar rate but a much cleaner room. All I ask for is a clean room to stay for the nights.

sorry, I should have taken photo to post it here.

• Stayed July 2005