“Suites are Nice but Lots of Problems”

Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #171 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 16 March 2006

I have stayed at this hotel for the past 4 years and unfortunately the location is what keeps it going. I always stay in a one bedroom suite which is spacious, clean and quiet. The a/c is the quietest I have ever had in any hotel. Last year I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite as they ran out of 1 bedroom suites and my guests were so impressed. Very spacious and clean. The hotel has had a major water damage and the hallways especially near the elevators do smell. People staying in the regular rooms seem to have many problems with cleaniness and people were switching rooms left and right. They were sold out every night I was there and the front desk was overwhelmed with dissappointed quests. The pool area is nice with a kiddie pool and TGIF's food and bar service. But it is next the I-4 so there is traffic noise. The shuttle was fine with 3 morning depatures and 3 evening departures with 12 and 2 am Thur - Sat nights. You can walk over after carefully crossing I-4 and the walk is nice passing Hard Rock Hotel and takes about 15 - 20 minutes. I would only stay at this hotel with a suite and try to avoid any high times as they seem to overbook rooms (they said rooms decided to stay another night which caused shortage of rooms) but they took care of my room rate for the inconveniences and I hope they can improve the hotel in the coming years because the location cannot be beat for Universal Studios!

• Stayed: March 2006
7  Thank wutsnext
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando

Reviewed 25 February 2006

What a surprise! After reading several of the 'Trip Advisors' reviews, I was slightly worried about our trip. But I have nothing but rave reviews for our 2-bedroom/2-bath suite. The room was clean and spacious (a must when traveling with 4 teenage girls). When I mentioned to someone from Housekeeping that one of our hair dryers did not work, someone from Maintenance was at our door within 15 mins. and the hair dryer replaced by the time we returned that evening. This hotel is on the Orlando "I-Trolley" route which travels to most popular attractions along International Drive. Between the hotel's shuttle (goes to Universal & Sea World) and the I-Trolley, you don't need a car (unless you are doing the Disney parks). For the money we paid, we were extremely pleased with the Holiday Inn. The people were friendly and our rooms were clean. A Great Value for families traveling with kids.

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank SleeplessTraveler
Reviewed 17 February 2006

Stayed at this hotel from Feb.9-12. Check in was fine, lobby was clean and bright. People at the front desk were very friendly and welcoming.
Entered an elevator (3 in a row, with only 2 functioning) and slowly climbed to the 9th floor.
Upon entering our room, you could see some of the plaster and wallpaper coming off of the walls. There was also quite a lot of black mold on the ceiling above the beds. We also found more black mold growing on the carpet, on the walls around the sliding door and on the drapes. There was considerable water damage done to the wall around the sliding door. The sliding door did not close all the way, and we could hear the traffic from the busy street below even though we were up 9 floors. The railing on the balcony was also coming detached from the wall, so did not feel too safe standing out there.
The bathroom sink was slow in draining and by our last day, it was completely plugged.
We visited the pool since my daughter wanted to swim and the pool according to the webste and brochures, said it was heated. It was not heated.
There were security doors at all side entrances where you were suppose to use your room key to open to gain access to the room areas. All doors opened freely without the use of a room key. Anyone can enter the premises.
We awoke the first morning to a few silverfish climbing around the sinks and somekind of long centipede critter making it's way down the wall near the ironing board.
After paying for a morning coffee (no complimentary coffee for guests) at the gift shop, we left for the day.
Upon returning, another elevator was broken and we were told to take the "quicker" elevators on the other side of the lobby.
With the elevators constantly breaking down, we felt it safer and quicker to walk up the stairs. Other patrons had the same idea and we had to dodge people with luggage trying to make their way down while we were trying to go up.
By our last day all but 1 elevator was operational and check out time was a nightmare. People were waiting over 15 minutes with their luggage to get down to the lobby. The elevators were also being used by the hotel staff, (housekeeping carts and maintenance workers)so it added to the crowded conditions.
On the second day, housekeeping decided they didn't need to clean our bathroom and leave clean towels. Dirty towels were left hanging on the shower rod and on the floor of the bathroom. The beds were made and trash emptied.
My husband needed to use the printer in the business center and found it kept jamming. He called and they said they would send someone in to fix it. After waiting 30 minutes and making several more phonecalls, I went to the front desk to ask whether someone was coming to fix the printer. I was told that someone had broken it earlier and it would not be fixed anytime soon. I told them we needed to print out a confirmation and they said they would call across the street to another hotel to see if we could use theirs. I was told that they would allow us to use it, but we would have to pay a 25 cent per minute fee out of our pocket. The Holiday Inn did not offer to pay.
I would not recommned this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank iggy1i
Reviewed 2 February 2006

How this place gets a three star rating is beyond me. The lobby is very nice, and recently updated. So, obviously they make you think the rest of the hotel is nice when you check in, but you get the reality check when you walk down the dirty halls to your flea bag room.

Avoid this place at all costs, and don't use Hotwire to book a room in Orlando, they rated this a 3 star (maybe in Bangladesh!).

BTW, I stayed in room 214.

13  Thank GMStiles
A TripAdvisor Member
NH
Reviewed 22 January 2006

Stayed at this hotel for a conference. My room was on the ninth floor overlooking the pool area--no hot tub. I noted first on entering the room that the plaster was falling off a large area of the wall just inside the door. Also noted large areas of mold on the wallpaper border and several unidentifiable streaks on the curtains. The patio door in my room would not shut tight or lock closed and the street noise was, therefore, disturbing when trying to sleep. While lying there reading one evening the front panel fell off the air conditioner with a loud crash (no one ever bothered to replace it during our stay). Of 5 elevators in our section of the building, most days there were at least 2 or 3 of them non-functioning (perhaps due to renovations??) The TGIF restaurant in the building is undergoing major renovations, I saw no other work being done in other areas of the building. This hotel is in major need of repair. Would not stay here again. Close proximity to Universal is nice, however, crossing Kirkman Road on foot to get there is quite dangerous.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 January 2006

I traveled to Orlando with some colleagues during the week of January 9, 2006 and we had reservations at this hotel. As we pulled into the parking lot you could see that the TGI Friday's attached to the hotel was undergoing some major remodeling and it didn't look anythng like it appeared on this hotels website. We headed into the lobby of the hotel and the check in line was literally 20 people deep with only two clerks handling the check ins, and the designated check in line for Priority Club members was not staffed at all. All of us had requested non smoking King bed rooms and we were all given rooms with two double beds in them, but on non smoking floors.

We went to take the elevators up and half of them were broekn and not functional. When we arrived on our non-smoking floor, it smeeled really strong of cigarette smoke, and the rooms smelled even worse. The rooms faced the highway on an angle and the road noise poured right in through the antique sliding glass doors. Oh yeah, did I mention critters yet? A few cockroaches were scrambling across the floor and the rooms smelled of mold. The wall electrical wall outlets were few and far between, but don't worry, they had those adaptors in the outlets that over load the outlets!

Needless to say we all started to try and find another hotel in the area that had 5 rooms available for a 3 night stay, but we had no luck. We went out to dinner and then came back to the hotel and they didn't have enough parking spots to accomadate the cars, so like others, we were forced to jump the curb and park on the grass. We went into TGI Fridays for some drinks and the place was half ripped apart and it closed @ 10pm for the evening work crews to come in. Somebody in our group found another hotel that could accomadate us, so we all checked out @ 10:30pm because it was a dump and they said no problem. I think that they were oversold because a long line of people were still waiting to check in, plus the parking situation and the large trade show in town. I travel 2-3 overnights per week and this was easily the worst hotel that I've been in for a very long time. Avoid this place like the plague that it is.

12  Thank Onhill
Reviewed 18 January 2006

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Universal Studios Orlando on Kirkman Rd. for business. The room was dirty but the bathroom was unbareable! The floor in the bathroom was disgustingly dirty/grimy. The walls looked as if someone blew their nose on it plus all the wall paper was falling off. The shower was equally nasty. Very dirty/moldy as well as the water barely came out of the faucet and you only had one choice of temp....HOT! You couldn't even put your hand under the faucet, it was so hot. I had to take a sponge bath in the sink with a towel that had a pube on it. All in all, will NEVER stay at a Holiday Inn again!

8  Thank csstrub