“Not too bad, don't expect 5 star”

Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #169 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 9 June 2006

I writing this review because I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Universal about 5 different times and I would like to set the story straight. This hotel is for people on a budget and want to stay as close to Universal and IOA as possible without paying for the onsite resorts. Like many budget hotels around Disney and Universal, this hotel sees a great amount of traffic, and droves of kids. It is not unsual in these budget hotels to have broken ice makers, vending machines and wet carpet in the halls(mainly due to the pools and wet feet). The rooms I've always stayed in have been acceptable, just like any normal Holiday Inn, nothing fancy, pretty basic. The rate I usually get when traveling on business is about $79.00 a night, it is about $99.00 a night across the street at the Doubletree. To be honest, the Doubletree is not in the best shape either and is going through a renovation. If you stay at this Holiday Inn, I suggest staying in a suite here at the Holiday Inn, they are much nicer and if you are in the Priority Club, they usually upgrade you to the suite for free. If you want to great service, great food, good drinks then pay the $200-$300 a night and stay at the Hard Rock Hotel or Portofino Bay inside Universal.

Stayed: June 2005
10  Thank travelpro22
Write a ReviewReviews (2,193)

Reviewed 31 May 2006

The pro's-
-Location is excellent
-Lobby and public areas okay.
-Restaurant good (TGIFridays)
-If you can get it for under $80.00 per night, it is a bargain.

The Con's-
-room dirty (Mold growing on ceiling and walls)
-bathroom vanity corners dusty, dirty, and had hairs, tub dirty.
-housekeeper was sweet, however used a clean washcloth off of her cart to wipe out the garbage can in my room.
-Ice machine on 8th floor broken and has been for months according to hskpr.
-front desk staff (pm shift) (red wig ladies) were all rude and could care less about guests. I asked where Cracker Barrel was located and she sent me to the bellstand to ask him. Turns out, it is right next door. Also, the ladies at the front desk don't smile and are not the least bit friendly. All other staff members in other departments that I encountered were nice.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank goo0325
A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, NC.
Reviewed 25 May 2006

The staff were exceptionally friendly and made me feel at home. Great location, my family and I chose to walk right across the street to both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure on one day and then utilized the complimentary shuttle the next day. By the way, the 2 Bedroom Suite was AWESOME! Perfect for my family...Will definitely stay again the next time we visit Orlando.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
boston
Reviewed 26 April 2006

The bathroom floor was so dirty, I was afraid to take a shower with bare feet. I always had socks on with fear of touching the floor, and not to my surprise, but my socks were always BLACK!!!! I really thought the staff was rude and didn't really care to help out in anyway with questions or concerns. The elevators (that worked) were slow and dirty! The only plus side was TGI fridays and kids eat free. I would NEVER stay at this hotel again!
Traveler from Boston

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 April 2006

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Kirkman Road and I thought it was terrific. I like that the room service is from TGI Friday's which is connected to the hotel. There is a great game room for the kids and a nice pool area. The staff was very friendly, even though it seemed the hotel was very busy as usual. Would stay again.. and it's right across from Universal!

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank SRaven10
Reviewed 20 March 2006

This was the worst hotel I've stayed at in 14 years. It was dirty, falling apart and I didn't feel very safe there at all, despite being on the 9th floor.

On the plus side, it is VERY close to Universal Orlando and the bed in my room was only a month old and surpisingly comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank JusticeSalmon
Reviewed 16 March 2006

I have stayed at this hotel for the past 4 years and unfortunately the location is what keeps it going. I always stay in a one bedroom suite which is spacious, clean and quiet. The a/c is the quietest I have ever had in any hotel. Last year I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite as they ran out of 1 bedroom suites and my guests were so impressed. Very spacious and clean. The hotel has had a major water damage and the hallways especially near the elevators do smell. People staying in the regular rooms seem to have many problems with cleaniness and people were switching rooms left and right. They were sold out every night I was there and the front desk was overwhelmed with dissappointed quests. The pool area is nice with a kiddie pool and TGIF's food and bar service. But it is next the I-4 so there is traffic noise. The shuttle was fine with 3 morning depatures and 3 evening departures with 12 and 2 am Thur - Sat nights. You can walk over after carefully crossing I-4 and the walk is nice passing Hard Rock Hotel and takes about 15 - 20 minutes. I would only stay at this hotel with a suite and try to avoid any high times as they seem to overbook rooms (they said rooms decided to stay another night which caused shortage of rooms) but they took care of my room rate for the inconveniences and I hope they can improve the hotel in the coming years because the location cannot be beat for Universal Studios!

• Stayed: March 2006