“Take Your Chances”

Ranked #165 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Ocala, Florida
“Take Your Chances”
Reviewed 25 July 2007

I will admit the price and location swayed me into booking this hotel for my 9 year son and I. Be warned, this hotel is old. We had to switch rooms 3 times. #1 was over the kitchen area and the room smelled like propane gas and was filthy. Mold on ceiling and holes in the walls. #2 had pubic hairs on bathroom floor, dried urine on toliet, mold in tub, mold on ceiling and water on the carpet around the AC unit and under the bed by the window. The room also smelled like a sewer. Management finaly put us into a suite which was simple but clean. The pool did not have chlorine, was warm and had a "salty" taste if it got in your mouth (most likely from the users sweat). The pool area was rundown aand in need of some work. The staff were very plesent and TGI Fridays were the saving grace for our stay.

• Stayed July 2007
2 Thank Floridanative1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
RI
Reviewed 20 July 2007

If you're planning on going to Universal Studios Orlando and you're on a budget, Holiday Inn maingate to Universal (across the street) is definetly the place to book your stay! We had a wonderful experience and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. It was clean and comfy and a short walk to Universal/Islands of Adventure/City Walk. Although you do have to cross 5 lanes of traffic initially, the traffic lights do provide you a leisure pace to cross. The walkway to Universal is very clean, peaceful, and tropical. It took us approximately 10 minutes to get to the entrance. Now mind you, this hotel is nothing lavishing or fancy, so if you're looking for something really upscale than you might want to stay in the park and pay a ton of money. But for the price, the Holiday Inn was worth it. The pool was refreshing- and the staff at TGIF's was at hand to serve you food and drinks by the pool. My family and I stayed in a one bedroom suite, (which was great) because we have a teenager and the bedroom provided privacy for my husband and I while my teenage son enjoyed the pull-out sleeper with his own t.v. in the living area. The cleaning service was A+. Our room was cleaned spotless every day and there was plenty of clean towels and extra bedding on hand. Also to keep in mind, while the Double Tree hotel is also within the same vicinity and walking distance, what I didn't like about the Double Tree (if you observe in photos) is that none of their windows open for ventilation. While all the rooms are air conditioned at Holiday Inn (as I'm sure with the Double Tree), at least at the Holiday Inn you're able to get some fresh air from the windows as well. I would definetly recommend this hotel if you're planning a trip to Universal.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
8 Thank jewlsinri
Lone Rock, Iowa
Reviewed 6 July 2007

We stayed here for a week beginning May 29. We had a two room suite which was nice, clean and roomy. There were a couple fo drain/faucet problems which they fixed right away. The fitness center was being renovated so they gave passes to a nearby fitness center. I would bypass the information desk as when we asked for about discounted park tickets, they wanted to take us on a resort sales tour. Had plenty of plug ins for the needs of today's traveler.

We spend most of the time out site seeing so this room met our needs for the week.

• Liked — The roominess of the room.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank QuiltAngel
Miami
Reviewed 3 July 2007

Never, ever again, this place is the dirtiest place that we are stayed in The United States, the bathroom was stinking and dirty and the room smell like a pig

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Rey922
Hornersville, MO
Reviewed 11 June 2007

Let me first start by saying, after reading all of the negative reviews on TripAdvisor.com, I was worried about staying at this hotel. However, I did contact the General Manager, Matthew Downs, and he quickly put all of my concerns to rest. He personally gave me all of the personnel contact information that I may need during my stay (just in case something was unsatisfactory during our stay). I could not have asked for better service or a nicer hotel for the price. There were 18 of us and we stayed in 3 of the 2 bedroom suites. It was plenty of room for us. The hotel staff was excellent to deal with and Brenda Keller (the Reservation Manager) made sure all of our needs were met. She is extremely nice, will answer any questions that you may have, and will go out of her way to make sure that your stay is a pleasant one.

The hotel is located very close to Universal Studios. We stayed June 2nd – June 7th, 2007. Check-in went smoothly.

Our suites were located at the end of a long corridor on the 8th and 9th floors. We entered a room with a sleeper sofa, chair, coffee table, TV, small dining table with two chairs and a small "kitchen" that included a full size refrigerator, dishwasher, sink, microwave and a small assortment of dishes, silverware and utensils. The suite had two bedrooms, each with its own bath. Both rooms had two double beds in each bedroom. The bedrooms were nice size. The bedspread, curtains, pillows, etc. seemed to be very new and were of a very nice quality. The bathrooms had a shower/tub room with the toilet and the sink/make-up counter was off the bedroom itself. Everything was reasonably clean. There was plentiful hot water and good water pressure. Small toiletries were provided - mouthwash, shampoo and hand lotion. Lighting was good. Each bedroom had a TV set and adequate storage.

The hotel restaurant is the adjacent TGIF Friday's. They deliver room service and also deliver to the pool area. There is a Walgreens nearby. The hotel has a gift shop, tour desk, shuttles to Universal, business center and pool.

As far as the negative remarks are concerned, I can only say one thing….if you are looking for a 5 star hotel then this hotel will probably not meet all of your needs. However, if you are looking for a 3 star hotel, this hotel will EXCEED all of your expectations. The rooms were very clean upon arrival and the cleaning staff did an excellent job of cleaning up after each of us daily.

Overall, I was very impressed with our stay and will stay there again. Thank you again to Brenda for making sure our stay was a pleasant one.

• Liked — location / suites
  • Stayed June 2007
5 Thank nucoryamato
Sydney
Reviewed 4 June 2007

I must be one of the few people who visit this hotel only because I was attending a business convention at a nearby (and infinitely more pleasant) resort hotel, and had zero interest in the theme parks and other attractions nearby. However that resort hotel was double the price of the HI, and that influenced my colleague's and my decision to stay here instead. We survived.
My initial reaction on arrival was that the place was a dump: I was located in a pretty basic, and clearly old, room. Old furniture, peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, with stains I didn't even want to think about. And with room-service food from TGIF, it doesn't get much worse (in a mainstream US city, that is). My colleague was upgraded to a suite on level 7, and although it was somewhat cheerier than my cell, it was nothing special. This is a very basic HI, and given its proximity to Universal, and the relatively cheap price, one could do worse. Although, the morning TV bulletins about tourists being attacked in other motels in the immediate vicinity tended to amplify the slightly seedy atmosphere and added a certain frisson of danger.
Otherwise, the front-desk staff did nothing wrong, and were pleasant in my brief dealings with them. The room was made up properly every day, and I left with my health and luggage intact. This was despite the risk of combustion from the maze of wires and cables under the desk, where I enjoyed complimentary high-speed internet. (See picture.) I know that electrical equipment is an afterthought at many hotels, but this particular array of wires, cables, plugs and devices must surely set some sort of record.

• Liked — Reasonably cheap and handy location
  • Disliked — TGIF supplies the food
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank AntonyG
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2007

I spent two days arriving to Orlando with my partner. It was very conveniently located in Orlando and very close to Universal Studios, where we spent the following morning.
Hotel is nothing special. Very family-esque with screaming kids in the swimming pool. Staff are friendly and you can use their free shuttle service to go to Universal Studios.
We wanted to use their gym, but they were refurbishing it, so they gave us free passes to an even better gymnasium, which was a nice treat.
Overall a little bit worn out, old furniture, but clean and handy for Universal studios

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple