“A standard convention hotel, but service sets it apart”

Orlando World Center Marriott
Ranked #63 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed here for seven days for a conference. I travel a lot for business and I'm a platinum elite rewards member, so I'm very familiar with convention-type hotels.

The Good:
-- Checking in, the gentleman at the rewards desk was very accommodating. I asked for a room in the East Tower because of the convention, and that tower was the closest. He found a room close to the elevator with a great view of the pool area. The balcony was an added plus
-- Room... I was placed in the East Tower with a room facing the pool. I had a balcony and the room was spacious. I didn't feel cramped at all. The room was clean, modern.
-- Lobby Bar. Rob and Amy were spectacular. As I mentioned, I travel a lot for work and to luck upon bartenders who not only understand the product they serve but remember patrons by name in a very busy setting is rare. Rob was fantastic in his recommendations as was Amy. Their supervisor, Lauren, was on the spot. This team kept the bar running smoothly despite the crush of patrons.
-- Siro Restaurant. Again, great service. Gone is the stigma of a "hotel restaurant" as this Italian bistro served some of the best gnocchi and veal cheek that I have had in a long time.
-- Housekeeping. Prompt, efficient, and well done.
-- FedEx Office. 24-hour access for those late-night "have to get it done" print jobs. I had several large format posters that I needed produced, and the team at FedEx was prompt and pushed to meet the deadlines.

The Mediocre
-- The size of the property. If you're here for a convention, the East Tower is the place to be. Otherwise you'll be walking a long, long time. No need to visit the gym...
-- Valet parking. Their promise of 14 minutes or less... can be a bit deceiving. I've waited 30 minutes for my vehicle on two occasions, and it wasn't particularly crowded. Yes, they had radio troubles, but to expect a tip as I waited 30 minutes for my vehicle without an explanation? Sorry, no.

The not so good:
-- On property restaurants. Yes, Siro was a great experience, but the restaurant hours are dictated by what's going on at the property. Can't get lunch until after 2PM? The "food court" is overpriced for mediocre food. There's nothing within walking distance of the hotel, so unless you want to tack on 15+ minutes to your lunch time, you have limited options. Solaris and High Velocity are often packed.
-- Fees. Because I'm a platinum member, I usually don't get charged for internet. But there is a resort fee that is in addition to the room rate that is quoted (unless you get an exclusive deal). If you are attending a convention and have items shipped to you, expect at least a $10 handling fee for FedEx Office accepting the package and another $$ to deliver it to your room. I had three heavy packages sent to me, and my total was $100+ because of the weight and delivery fees.

Beware:
-- This is a huge property. There is a parking shuttle to take those who opt for self parking ($15/day) to be taken to the main lobby. Valet guests, it's about $25/day.
-- This is a huge property. Restaurants get overwhelmed quickly when there is a convention, so if you want to dine onsite, you'll have to make reservations well in advance. Also, don't be surprised when a restaurant is closed for a private event. The hotel DOES hand out a weekly "restaurant listing" to alert guests what is open when. Keep this handy.
-- This is a huge property. If you're attending a convention, it's a shorter distance to park in the self-parking garage a majority of the venues than if you stayed in the main hotel. Be prepared to walk.
-- The fees. Read the reservation rules carefully to see what will be charged, what won't be charged, and what's included with the rate. Resort fees are typically nonnegotiable.
-- Location. There are no restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

Will I return to this hotel for business or leisure? For business, yes. Having a full service onsite FedEx Office is a plus; however the service from Rob at the Lobby Bar trumps that easily. The service at the front desk was prompt and friendly as well, so yes. I would book a future event here.

For leisure? I don't know. I was here strictly for business and my schedule didn't allow for much free time. For the casual tourist, the prices and fees may be sticker shock. For those who are used to traveling, not so much.

Room Tip: Attending a convention? Ask for the East Tower.
2  Thank Belasaria

Reviewed 27 January 2014

The hotel is located away from the city and shopping; meaning you need transportation to go out for food or shopping. The hotel food selection is absurdly expensive - $17.00 for a small hamburger without fries, $21.00 for a small bowel of pasta with red sauce, $4.00 for an iced tea. As you are stranded in the hotel unless you have transport you are at the mercy of Marriott avarice. I came for a convention and was impressed by the convention facilities but extremely disappointed by Marriott's pricing. I would recommend organizations hosting conventions use Orlando's convention center or the old Peabody Hotel now owned by Hyatt. Hotels located near the convention center are all walking distance to many fine restaurants in Orlando with more realistic and not monopolistic pricing. CONVENTIONERS STAY AWAY FROM MARRIOTT WORLD CENTER!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank jhconklin
Alex P, Guest Care Coordinaor at Orlando World Center Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

jhconklin, thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I am sorry to hear your expectations were not met and you felt the overall value of your stay was not as you had expected. While we are located a little distance from downtown Orlando the resort is just a few minutes from a number of great restaurants, shopping, and theme parks. Additionally, we have a variety of dining options within the hotel at various price points for our guests to enjoy. I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity should you return to the Orlando area on business or on vacation.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Michael was extremely helpful, cheerful and genuinely a nice person. It's so nice to meet someone who is so happy in his position and he made our stay very comfortable. Michael is an asset to your company and we'll definitely plan to return based on his service. Martha and John D

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I came for a meeting and was very impressed. The convention center is attached, so no driving and parking, easy to come back to the room during breaks, etc. There are plenty of on-site restaurants and shops. Room was large, clean, modern, and well appointed. I plan to return for a personal vacation trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Alex P, Guest Care Coordinator at Orlando World Center Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Cynthia S, thank you for the review. We are so glad to hear you had great time and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

unless you want to pay for parking that requires you to take a shuttle to the hotel. Seriously, having to pay $14/night (plus tax) and then having to either walk for 15 minutes or wait for a shuttle to drive you to the front lobby is a real pain. Hotel is huge, plan on doing a lot of walking. Other than that, it's clean and comfortable. Stay here for a conference, but I think you can find better if you're here on vacation.

1  Thank btyrockr
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Great hotel and the service that was provided to me upon arrival was amazing. Andre (bellman) took care of me from the moment I arrived. I had lots of equipment for the meeting we were having at the hotel and he took care of everything. He went beyond and I appreciated it.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We recently attended a veterinary conference and visited the lobby bar most afternoons for a snack and drink before our evening activities. Our server, Teresa, was not only an excellent server, she was beautiful and professional. She remembered our drinks, and paid close attention to our party even though the lobby bar was busy and chaotic. Thanks for taking care of us little ole people from Tennessee.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business