“Great stay”

Ranked #75 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Plymouth, Michigan
“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was here for a conference and brought my husband and infant son along. The room was very spacious with a balcony. We had a crib brought in for our son, and there was still lots of room for him to play around. The bathroom was nice with two sinks. Our only complaint was the room did not have a fridge. It had a fully-stocked minibar but no fridge for your personal use. I imagine they would bring one if you requested it, but we did not ask. It did have an iron and blow dryer.

The room was cleaned every day and housekeeping was great.

Parking is very far from the rooms. I mean, seriously, it is so far, that my recommendation is to find a way to stay here without a car! Parking (without valet) was a extra $16 per day.

The pool complex is amazing. It was beautiful. My husband was able to go to the "Splash Zone" with our 9 mos old and he loved it! The pools are the reason why you can bring your family along if you are here for a conference. Disney is minutes away, right around the corner, if you want to do that as well.

My husband ate at the Italian restaurant one evening and said it was surprisingly good. There is a Starbucks in the lobby that always had long lines while we were there due to all the convention attendees. We also had drinks in the lobby bar one evening and it was nice. There was indoor and outdoor seating.

The convention food was good. Portions were right-sized and we weren't "over fed" which I think happens a lot at these things.

There was another women's group there the same time as mine which made for some confusion. The hotel should have planned the event rooms farther apart so we weren't walking in to each other. The first night many of us were walking into the other groups rooms since everything was mingled together between us and them.

If we were going to Orlando just for Disney or Universal, I wouldn't stay here since it can be so chaotic if they are hosting conventions, but if one of you has a convention and you are considering bringing family and extending your stay, it's great for that.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
MarriottTeamMember, Executive Offices at Orlando World Center Marriott, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear ead_angel,

We love to hear that convention goers bring their families along to enjoy our hotel facilities! Thank you for sharing your positive experience at our hotel from both a business and leisure side.

We apologize about the parking; however, we did want to note that we do indeed offer a shuttle to and from the parking garage since we do realize it can be far. We apologize if you were not made aware of this amenity and we will speak with our staff to see if there is a better way to inform guests of this option.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,085)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

My last stay at the Orlando World Center Marriott.
My wife and I are loyal Marriott brand travelers. Time and time again, we have chosen to stay at the different Marriott brand resorts due to the level of service the resorts provide. Please do misinterpret this as meaning that we are in any way financially well-off or wealthy. In fact, we are very blue collar folks; I am a career law enforcement officer and my wife is a clerical staff member at our local university. We have, however, come to enjoy traveling and staying at a resort that provides a bit of luxury in our lives. I mention these stays only so you may have some idea that we have stayed at many of the resorts all with great memories.

This past June 6th and 7th, my wife and I again were celebrating an anniversary and decided to travel to Orlando to see the Cirque du Soleil show. We searched for a Marriott Resort to stay at and found the Orlando World Center Marriott. At the time, it seemed to be an easy decision and booked a room with a “resort view” as shown on the website; this resort view was a nice view that overlooked the golf course. Seeing it was an anniversary weekend, we were hoping for a nice quiet room with a pleasant exterior view. We booked the room using our travel points from our Visa card. When we booked the room, we were informed that breakfast was part of the package which was an added bonus. We arrived at the hotel a little after 3 PM in the afternoon. The enormity of the hotel was the first thing that struck me. Looking more like a small city with well over two thousand rooms, it was massive. Through our travel, we have come to enjoy the valet parking services offered by the resorts and as we normally do, we drove to valet. The area was busy and seemed understaffed; a theme that would plague the two day trip. Once we were able to get an attendant, the bellman was quick to arrive and take our bags (the Bellmen proved to be the one bright spot in an otherwise horrific hotel). We proceeded to the check in desk which had a total of four staff members working to check in guests that would fill a two-thousand plus room hotel. We stood in line as if we were waiting to get on a ride at an amusement park, guided to take our next steps by a well dressed woman whose only job appeared to be to herd the crowd into the right direction.

Once we made it to the front desk we were greeted by Shane, and another employee who appeared to being trained by Shane. We provided our confirmation number for check in only to be told that we also were required to provide a voucher as well. I was not sure what he was referring to as I have used our travel points from our Visa on many trips and never needed or received a voucher for it. Shane rudely explained that the voucher is how the hotel is paid and he needed to have it. I again explained to him that I did not have a voucher and told him the best I could do was email him a copy of my confirmation, which he already had the number for. I inquired about the breakfast and where we should go for it only to be told that our package did not include the breakfast and Shane handed my wife and I a blue rubber bracelet that we were expected to wear. It felt as if we were at some bar and it identified us as old enough to consume liquor! Shane then went onto explain that there also was a $20.00 resort fee per night in addition to the room fee and the valet parking fee. I asked what that fee was for and the only explanation he was able to provide was that it was a mandatory fee for all guests. (By the way, we did not wear the bracelets.) Now feeling as if I were some sort of freeloader at the hotel and sent to my room to send the email to Shane, my wife and I got to our “resort view” room. Unlike the nice view of the quiet and peaceful golf course, we had a view of the roof of another section of the hotel that had the industrial coolers on top of it. The coolers were so loud that it shook the door of our balcony. Finding this unacceptable I called down to the front desk. After not getting an answer on my first four attempts, I was finally able to reach the front desk. I explained what I was dissatisfied with the room and they told me to wait there and a bellhop would be up to change out our room. We waited for about thirty minutes. I called back although, again, it took several attempts until someone answered the phone. I was informed that the bellman was waiting for us in the North Tower (we were currently in the East Tower). We proceeded to the 17th floor of the North Tower to meet the bellman with our luggage. We went as directed and after great difficulty, found the bellman (Edgar is a bright spot in the service of the hotel!) who took us to our room. Instead of a “resort view” I found a great view of a parking lot. Major disappointment – again.

Being frustrated and angry, I called several more times down to the front desk and asked for a manager to come to my room. I finally got a manager by the name of Susan to at least come to the phone. I explained my dissatisfaction with the room and that this was our wedding anniversary weekend so we wanted a quiet room with a nice view. Susan explained that all of the “resort view” rooms were at the back of the hotel and if looked to my hard left, I would “glimpse” a section of the golf course, but the rooms had the industrial views and noise of the hotel. Susan asked if there was a reason we did not want a pool view and I explained to her the noise was the main reason. She stated that she had a mini suite she would put us in that was pool view and on the 18th floor so the noise would not be bad. I agreed and we moved our room - again.

The room was nice and spacious and would have been perfect had it not been for the Steel Drum band and Brazilian Carnival dancers down at the pool for some sort of convention. My wife and I decided if there was not going to be any peace in our room; at least we would go down, see what all the fuss was about and have a drink at the pool while listening to the steel drum band play. When we tried, we found out that this was, in fact, a closed event and the facilities in the resort were closed to guests! I am not sure how a resort can accept guests and not allow them to use the facilities but it happened. So, now we decided to go to dinner and called down to the valet to have our car picked up. Again, no answer. After three more attempts and still no answer, I finally called the front desk and explained to them that valet was not answering. The front desk said they would have the car brought out so after twenty more minutes, we finally had our car. Poor, understaffed service would prove to be a routine issue with the valet service.

When we came back, we ordered room service for breakfast the next morning (as a breakfast was no longer part of our reservation). The breakfast came on time and fresh, except the coffee pot did not work; the lid was broken and would not pour. That morning we went down to the pool to have some drinks and enjoy the expansive pool. We saw that it was surrounded by very nice shaded chaise lounge chairs. In all the other Marriott resorts we stayed at, the chairs at the pool were “first come, first serve” and waiters would come out to serve you. This resort rented out the first row of shaded chairs for $50.00 per day and if you chose not to rent one you were in the second row of chairs not as plush or shaded. We settled down again frustrated, feeling nickelled and dimed to death and waited for a waiter to come around. After twenty to thirty minutes, I finally went to the bar and purchased my own drinks and asked the barkeep if they had waiters/service staff for the pool. The barkeep stated that they did and she said she would inform the person there that we were waiting for drinks (again, understaffed for the enormity of the resort). We order several more drinks and nachos that were not much more than cheese sauce over tortilla chips - the menu was amazingly limited and poor for such a large resort.
We continued our stay and ordered breakfast for the next morning which was our check out day. Our breakfast arrived at 8:30 AM as ordered; however, the cleaning staff knocked on our door at 9 AM. The checkout time is 11 AM, but the cleaning staff continued to knock on our door hourly until we finally just left the hotel. The stay was not just bad, but a complete and total failure. We feel as if we wasted our money, our time and ruined our anniversary weekend. The resort simply should not have the Marriott name to it. It is no more that another generic understaffed, poor service Orlando resort that herds people in like cattle waiting for Disney World. I can’t explain in words properly the disappointment and anger we feel because of our experience at this hotel. You would be better served at a Motel 6 or another discount chain of Motels in the area, at least then you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: the resort has shuttle service to the parks, so if your main reason for traveling to Orlando is the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jim H
MarriottTeamMember, Executive Offices at Orlando World Center Marriott, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Jim H,

It saddens us very much to read this review as we can completely understand your frustrations and disappointment regarding your experience during your anniversary stay with us. It is simply not representative of Marriott's high standards of hospitality and we have already acknowledged this failing on our part and have made amends directly to you.

Clearly, there were a lot of breakdowns in our service delivery during the time that you were here. We have no excuses for them and can only recognize them and work hard to implement policies and procedures so that these service failures do not happen again.

As a large and comprehensive resort there are certain things that we are not able to change. We do have an expansive property, there are a lot of guests, and we have 1,400+ hosts each and every day to ensure the comfort of each and every person. Perhaps this type of property is not for every guest and we completely understand if some guests prefer a quieter, smaller, more intimate atmosphere. We fully disclose everything we have available on our website and hope that guests make an informed choice prior to booking so that there are no disappointments upon arrival. Once here, we do our best to welcome guests and provide everything they need for a fun-filled, relaxing, stay in Orlando.

Please know that we have taken your feedback very seriously. We never want to have a disappointed guest and we again apologize regarding your stay here.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

service very poor starting from front desks....we had 2 connecting rooms and i will never recomment is hotel to any one we had a bad experience the bathroom was not clean we call and no responce and butler brought the stuff incompleted. for being a 4th of july weekend was a disaster for me and my family. I had stayed in many marriots hotel but this one dont know jow to treat turist at all. Management does not know how to manage this hotel and dont know the potential they have

2 Thank Ruth Z S
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

It is very disheartening for us to hear that you had such a poor experience at our hotel. Our 1,400+ hosts work very hard to ensure that each and every guest has a wonderful vacation experience when they are here with us. You don't specifically state what your issues were with our front desk and housekeeping, but we are sorry if we were not able to satisfy you during your stay. The Fourth of July weekend is a very busy time for us and we do hope that guests are understanding of what might be a busier than normal pace at our hotel which may cause some delays at check-in and with housekeeping turning rooms around. But more often than not, our facilities and experiences more than make up for any service lapses. We sincerely apologize if this was not a happy weekend for you.
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We were sceptical of using a hotel off site of Disney grounds. We were worried their transportation to the parks would be sub-standard and that we would be disappointed.
We are happy to report that the accomadations at the Marriott were so spectacular that we wanted to stay longer!Unfortunately our plans would not allow this to happen.We were traveling to different areas in Florida and it was a unanimous opinion, with my family, that we could have easily stayed at this resort the entire time and not get bored with it!The heat kept my husband and I from going into Disney with our grown sons but the resorts pools are sooo exceptional we never left them the whole day until they returned from Disney! Now that we have found this resort we will never again question staying off Disney's grounds.The only negative (and I use that word mildly) is what It would have been nice for shuttle service to Downtown Disney ,but driving and parking to get there was not a problem. We will be looking forward to going back on our next trip to Florida. Well done Marriott...Well Done

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
MarriottTeamMember, Executive Offices at Orlando World Center Marriott, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear maddycat03,

To say that we excelled at hospitality on par with a hotel on the Disney grounds is quite a review from a clear Disney fan like you, so we appreciate the fact that you think we did such a great job. It really means a lot to us. We look forward to welcoming you back next year!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The service and the atmosphere was wonderful Saran was the Best Too ! In addition to the Lobby Bar the service and the pool bar and the Italian restaurant in the hotel was beyond good. I did a flight of high end rums at the pool that were incredible.

Dear Cyril S,

It is nice to hear that we excelled in our services and that you really enjoyed our Lobby Bar. We will be sure to share your feedback with Saran. Thank you for sharing your feedback.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Holiday weekends are always challenging, however this resort did an excellent job handling the crowds. Spa appointments available with great therapists including Tessa for the round the world massage. Service was great starting with Josh at Siro - making the night great with a command of all the options for specialty liquor including Louis X III. Mikado was typical style Japanese but good. Service at pool from Colleen and Lisa was super. Great weekend.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Donna C,

Thank you for taking the time to share that you found we handled the holiday weekend crowds with great efficiency! It truly means a lot to us as each of our 1,400+ Hosts works hard to make sure each and every guest feels welcome. We are thrilled that you had a great weekend and were able to enjoy our many services and facilities.
Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

My greatest experience was with the Food Court on the first floor. My five year old son was suddenly ill and as soon as we sat down to eat he threw up in the food court. This is not normal for him so I was very worried. But the staff in the Food Court comforted me and took great care of us. Keith, Freda, Natasha, and Mrs Charles that does the pizza were the warmest most caring people in the entire hotel. They made us feel like family. All of them went far and beyond for me and my son. We didn't have to do anything. They were quick to aid us and to ensure my son felt better. Later that evening my boy was good as new, I couldn't wait to go back down there to thank all of them. They all made my trip a joy. Siro and Solaris prices where outrageous. :( Bad value

Room Tip: East side fourth floor was an excellence room because once you come out your room, you are in the li...
1 Thank Kesha M
Dear Takesha I,

We are so sorry to hear about your son feeling ill, but are very glad that our staff was able to assist you.

We apologize if you felt that some of our restaurant pricing was not to your liking; however, our hotel features a variety of food and beverage options at different price points so that everyone can find a place that best suits their taste and budget. We are glad you found the Food Court enjoyable for you and your son.