“If all you want is a bed, this is the hotel for you”

Orlando Continental Plaza Hotel
Ranked #299 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Me and my fiance have just returned from a 2 week stay at this hotel. The main purpose for our holiday was to visit all of the disney and universal theme parks and spend little time at the hotel.
On arriving to the hotel, at check in we were asked to pay $21.50 for the resort amenities, which I paid. However, i was not happy about it and when I asked what it covered it is basically for the use of the safe in your room. But this should be either included in the room price already paid to first choice or been optional. Breakfast was provided in the hotel, which consisted of tea, coffee, cereal and toast which is very basic but better than nothing in a room only hotel.
The room was basic but clean, with two double beds, TV (which had a few channels), fridge with freezer compartment (freezer didnt work proparly), bathroom with bath with shower head. We had an ironing board but not iron and a hairdryer that didnt have enough power to dry hair. The beds were comfortable and they were made every day by the maids, along with the changing of the towels.
The hotel pool was small and the bar was hardly ever open when we passed. The pool was heated which wasnt neccesary in the heat as it was 39 degrees and a cold pool would have been nice. The pool was never busy but used mostly between 9-11pm when people where home from the parks and wanted something to do. The hotel also has a shop which sells snacks and drinks but we didnt use this at all as Walgreens supermarket was right next to the hotel which sold everything you could need at reasonable prices.
The shuttle bus to the parks was never on time. It picks up to go to disney at 7.25am and 11am, returning at 6pm, 9pm and 10.05pm. The bus to universal picked up at 10.20am and returned at 7.30pm (however a taxi was on $6 if you want to make your own way there). When getting the bus, regardless of how long people have been queueing everyone just pushes there way on so if you are polite and let people in front on you then you wont get on! On some occasions the bus was an hour late!
The hotel is at stop 8 on the I-Ride so I recommend that you buy an I-hop pass, which is $17 for 14 days which is well worth it. You can also use this to get to Aquatica and Sea world which are stops 33 and 34. There are shopping outlets located at stop 1 and 42 which are well worth visiting as the prices are up to 70% less than in the UK.
There is free wifi in the hotel lobby and computer stations that can be used but are charged by the minute, therefore we did not use these. Should you want to go on the internet the George and Dragon English Pub at stop 10 cost $5 for half and hour.
If all you want from your hotel is a comfortable bed for the night after a long day at the parks then this hotel will suit you. For families, I'm not sure this hotel has enough to do when you are at the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the car park - much quieter
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jeni-reni-89
Write a ReviewReviews (1,523)

Reviewed 24 June 2011

Hands down, this was the ABSOLUTE WORST hotel I have EVER stayed in, and I'm a pretty frequent traveler. The lobby didn't seem too bad when we first walked in. It looked like something out of the 70's but we were only staying there one night so we figured we'd give it a shot. BAD IDEA. Anyway, we got to our room and being the smart traveler that I am, I wanted to check the mattresses for bedbugs. I casually pulled back the sheets on one of the beds and while I didn't find any bedbugs, I found a GIGANTIC stain that took up about 30% of the mattress. My friend and I promptly gagged at the sight. The best way to describe the stain was that it looked like someone had been murdered, then when the cleaning lady saw the stain, she just flipped the mattress over, even though the stain bled (pun not intended) through to the box spring. We then went back to the front desk to demand a different room. The lady at the front desk sounded halfway sincere when we told her about the stain, but she sure didn't move very fast to correct the problem. In our new room, we checked one mattress-- no bedbugs, no stain. Cool. Then we checked the other mattress: FRESH PEE STAIN. At that point, we RAN back to the front desk and told them to keep their stains to themselves and give us our money back. Absolutely disgusting hotel. PLEASE, spare yourself from this type of horrific experience and go next door to the Monumental Movieland Hotel. It's about the same price and MUCH cleaner, if also in need of some serious updating. We talked to the owner of the Movieland Hotel and he was horrified when we told him that we were going to stay at the Continental initially. Apparently, the Continental has a bit of a reputation for being the worst hotel in Orlando, and we fully understood why. On a sidenote, I was tempted to put up the photo of the "murder stain" but have held myself back from doing so, just to spare you (the reader) from nightmares.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank dayafterxmas
Reviewed 14 June 2011

OMG, never again would i stay or recommend this hotel, it is a dump, not what it looks like in the pictures. My children and i almost cried it was that bad. The room was small and dirty, run down and you have internet in the lobby only and it was so loud with people yapping, It is not even worth the $23.00 i payed, i learned a valueable lesson you only get what you pay for, i would rather spend the extra money and go eleswhere. The staff was rude the manager was ignorant when i checked out, we did not even stay i left. I will say it is a great location, however their is much better hotels in the area. DO NOT STAY AT THIS MOTEL TRUST ME...........

Room Tip: GO for a 3 star and up, it is worth the money.
2  Thank slee_1
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Stayed for 14 nights through First Choice and had a great time. Honestly, if you use the room as a base just for sleeping in at night and spend most of your days around the theme parks and water parks, it's great, near to Wet & Wild, the IRide trolley stop and Walgreens store, within walking distance of Universal and the buffet restaurants. If you're concerned about lack of luxuries, pay more and stay at the Peabody down I-Drive for $250 a night. Saw one (dead) roach, but hey-ho, they live in warm climates.
The room was cleaned daily, towels and bedding changed on request, the TV was fine and the fridge in the room was a bonus. The air conditioning was a bit noisy at night but Walgreens sell ear plugs so that solved that problem, can't comment on breakfast as we always went to Sizzler, Golden Corral or Ponderosa. We only used the pool on the last day while waiting for the transfer as with Wet & Wild just across the road, why spend time in the hotel? The shower was hot and we had 2 adjoining rooms which were useful for our party. Beds were comfortable and free wifi in the reception area was nice (also the safe was free in the room)
I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to get out and enjoy the parks, it did its job very well, the staff and the amenities were fine and I'd go back with no hesitation.

Room Tip: I4 main road is at back - ask for a front room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Close to iDrive and part of a cheap package with First choice was what put us here but based on other reviews we decided to just stay 4 nights rather than the 14 planned and that was 3 nights too long really!

The positives...
Close to iDrive and attractions
Pool is small but heated... not that necessary but nice to get into as it took the edge off the cold water
Beds were comfy and made every day
Towel change daily

The negatives...
Noisy aircon... 60db (I measured it) when running and it was so hot it had to be run at night too.
Windows are by the passageway wherever you are so you have to keep curtains permanently closed for privacy
Hairdryer had little power (took ages to dry hair)
Room in desperate need of a refurb... lamps didn't work, TV remote didn't match TV so you couldn't turn the TV off, Shower unit looked awful and had holes in.
Walking from the bed to the bathroom meant you got dirty feet from the carpet.

So not recommended and was relieved to move to a much nicer place!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
Reviewed 11 June 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 weeks in May. When we arrived we were put in the wrong room as we'd paid for a King room but were given a twin. We asked to be moved and they did so without question. The room itself was fine. The bed was massive, and the bathroom was a decent size and clean. The rooms were cleaned everyday and the cleaners were all friendly. The pool was a bit small and got crowed some days, but i cant say we ever used it as we were out everyday. Breakfast was free every morning but we rarely had it as it was very basic, but cant complain too much as at least there was something! If we wanted more we just went to one of the all you can eats down the road for $4. There was also free wifi in the reception area which was useful. In terms of location it was perfect for what we wanted. It's literally across the road from Wet n Wild, and Universal is about a 15m walk or a $5 taxi ride. Theres a walgreens right next door which is very handy, and loads of restaurants walking distance away (or an itrolley ride if we wanted to venture further). The resort shuttle to Disney was handy as well, a little crowded sometimes but saved a lot on transport. On the whole I would recommend this hotel if people are just wanting a bed for the night in an ideal location on idrive. For anyone expecting a luxury hotel, this isn't the one for them.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank samandrews
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I stayed at this hotel from 28th May for 10 days. The hotel is very basic, but had everything I needed + it was clean. The receptionist was friendly and helpful. The room itself consisted of 2 queen beds, tv, refridgerator/freezer and a small bathroom with bath/shower. The room was cleaned everyday with fresh towels being left. The only downfall was the breakfast. It was just cereal and toast and u had to eat the cereal out of cups. There was never enough space to eat so we ended just going to ponderosa every morning for a 3.99 all you can eat buffet. They have free shuttles to all the theme parks and wet n wild is just across the road. If you want somewhere just to sleep and get washed I would recommend this hotel!!!

1  Thank kelshot23