“The best holiday we have ever had!!”

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #33 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
York, United Kingdom
“The best holiday we have ever had!!”
Reviewed 13 August 2011

The Wilderness Lodge has the key things for a great Disney holiday. It has great location on the lake at Magic Kingdom and the transport system gets you to anywhere else quickly. The theming is fantastic, our two girls of 6 and 9 lived in a real National Park lodge for a fortnight!! The restaurants are good fun, just ask for the ketchup at Whispering Canyon Cafe. Roaring Fork also provides good quality quick service meals and snacks.

The rooms aren't the biggest in Disney but the theming takes you away from the normal corporate feel of large hotels. The pools and gym are large and well laid out and there is never a long walk to anything.

We had a great time, the staff are fantastic, we'll be back!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Korean first
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge repeatedly now and couldn't be more pleased. The theme pulls you in as soon as you walk in the door, you are surrounded by sights, sounds and scents that all work together to welcome you.

To get to the parks you can step out back and take a a short boat ride or take one of the many buses that stop on a regular basis. (note: this is the one resort on the lagoon that is not connected with the monorail, mind you that wouldn't fit in very well with the theme, but you can always take a boat to the Contemporary and then use the monorail if you like).

Every hour during the day "Old Faithful" erupts out back next to the pool. And if you find you are at the hotel in the evening instead of one of the parks, make sure you take a stroll down by the docks. Each night they have a light parade on the water that is not to be missed (ask the front desk for the time they are scheduled to come by).

As with Disney in general, that cast members go above and beyond for you. They will check you in and hold your luggage while you go to the park if your room isn't ready yet. They can help mail gift items home for you. And they are always friendly and welcoming.

When deciding on my rating I was torn between "Excellent" and "Very Good" only because of the expense. I mean it's not everyday that I would spend hundreds of dollars on a room at a hotel. But then I thought I had to be more fair and objective about it, the only way to do that is to compare it to the other hotels that are of the same level of service and in the same area. Those hotels are The Contemporary, The Grand Floridian and the Polynesian. Out of those hotels on the same lagoon, the Wilderness Lodge does indeed have the lowest rates, hence me leaving it at an "Excellent" rating.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 August 2011

When we arrived we kept oohing and ahhing over the lobby. It is very dramatic and definitely
looks like a Rocky Mountain lodge. We loved the river running through the resort and the pool was amazing. The kids loved the geyser and the restaurant is also very good. We used the boat shuttle and it was much more relaxing than driving and parking the car.
The room was okay, we had a balcony overlooking the pool. The kids thought it was great because of the bunk beds.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 August 2011

The Artist's Point in the hotel is an excellent restaurant.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
canada
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Stayed at Disney's Wilderness Lodge for one night in August. This was the last day of our trip and the first time we stayed onsite. It was supposed to be a highlight and we splurged to stay here. I was expecting a lot of Disney magic, but did not find it. With that said, however, the foyer was beautiful and breath-taking. It had a gorgeous fireplace and a creek that flows down to the pool. We were excited to be there and couldn't wait to get to our room. The young lady who checked us in, however, was less than enthused. She did not exude any of the Disney charm that we had previously heard about. Another family was being checked in by another cast member immediately to our right and there was such a difference in the approach; the other lady was super friendly, excited, gave the other children what looked like Disney loot bags and constantly referred to them as prince and princess. My two young children received nothing. I'm not sure if it was an oversite or something, but my two children noticed they didn't get a treat upon check-in and the other kids did. Not a great way to start. We asked about the delivery of our luggage and the lady simply said to give our luggage tag to the bellhop. She never gave us any direction as to where or who the bellhop was. It just wasn't good enough, particularly for the money we paid to stay there. Our room was on the bottom floor and it was showing its age. We were very underwhelmed by it. The only plus was that it was located close by the pool. We paid for a courtyard view and this was really disappointing; literally, our view was of the restrooms. We found a Mickey shaped towel on one bed; nothing on the other which I found odd. I was expecting a lot of Disney extras and hidden Mickey's but was again disappointed. It was a regular room with two beds, one having a Mickey shaped towel, and the worn bedspread had hidden Mickey's as did the wallpaper. There was one Mickey shaped soap and a coat rack that had a few Disney characters on it, but that was it. Nothing magical or fuzzy. So the room and check-in was a let down. The pool area was great, though. It has a kids' slide, lots of towels and a place to buy drinks and snacks. The geiser was not what I expected, either. On the hour, it spouted out a little water, but nothing like I had read about in other reviews. I actually think they may have been having technical difficulties with it because it was so small and short in duration. Nothing great to see. My favorite part was the beach/boat rental area. Just a short walk from the pool, this area was awesome. Beautiful view, little play structure for the kids and a nice sandy beach. We rented two small raycer boats and that was a lot of fun. We travelled all around Seven Seas Lagoon and Lake Bay. It was awesome and something I would highly recommend. The other thing I loved about this resort was the water taxi to Magic Kingdom. It was only a five minute trip and it was very scenic and lovely. We even saw some deer on the way to the MK. The boat wasn't crowded and it was such a relief to know we didn't have to battle with tram lines and the parking lot at the end of the night. I loved the water taxi and its convenience. The water taxi almost made up for the let down of the room and the less-than-magical check-in. I also liked the convenience of charging items on the room card; we used it at MK and the charges showed up on our bill at check-out. It was nice not having to carry money to the park. Overall, the Wilderness Lodge had some positives: the beach/boat rental/pool area and definitely the water taxi. The negatives for us included the check-in and room in general. I know the resort is supposed to be rustic, but there is a difference in rustic and run down. I liked certain aspects of the resort, but I felt certain other things should have been better for the money we paid.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ss69-72
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We took a weekend break to Disney and enjoyed our stay at the Wilderness Lodge. I've heard that the Lodge is sort of a mix between the moderate and deluxe resorts and I think that fits the room decor/amenities for sure. However, the main area of the lodge, restaurants and pool were comparable to the other deluxe hotels. We had dinner at Artist's Pointe and it was fantastic, a fun themed wine list and the food was outstanding. We took advantage of the Florida resident rate for rooms, making our stay more reasonable in terms of price. The bedding and beds in the rooms are showing their age and not as comfortable as I might have hoped, but- I noticed that the TV's have been upgraded and there was a better selection of channels for a rainy day than in the moderate resorts. All in all, a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mec0415
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My wife and our 3 children (ages 6, 5, 2) decided to stay at a Disney property for 2 nights prior to our real vacation at Cocoa Beach. After some internet research, we selected the Wilderness Lodge.
Comments:
- The hotel decor & theme is nice, but not nearly as much of a wow factor as the similar Lodge near Animal Kingdom.
- The rooms are smallish for the price, and feel a bit dated. Bunk beds were a fun novelty.
- We paid more to be on a higher floor with a balcony. That was wasteful for our family. Didn't use it once.
- We really didn't understand how "Disney Transportation" works. Had we, we would have selected a hotel that is on the monorail.
- Taking the boat to / from Magic Kingdom was fun, but lengthy process.
- Taking a bus to / from Epcot is not as much fun and a lengthier process.
- We ate several times at the quick serve "Roaring Fork". It was ok for the kids. Pretty bland for us.
- Why does a hotel that costs 300 - 400 a night have powdered coffee machines? Really?
- Drinks at the pool bar were not resort quality, but resort priced.
- We ate once at the Canyon restaurant. Great service, very bland food. Particularly for the price.
- Pool was packed most of our time there, but they have the staff to handle it.
- Water slide was fun

All in all, this was not a bad place to stay. Its just not great for the money. I think the real value in staying in a higher end resort is the caliber of families staying there with you. Most of the families were classy, nice, and happy.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family