“Best of the high-end Disney Hotels”

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #28 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 20 November 2013

As annual Orlando tourists for 25 years, we have developed a variety of strategies for getting the most out of Disney. Increasingly, guests at Disney resorts get better opportunities than external visitors, so we have started staying a single night at a Disney resort to reap the many benefits. The concierge level at the Wilderness lodge is my favorite. The lodge itself is more impressive than other Disney properties, and the service and attention on the consierge level is outstanding. Even though check-in isn't until afternoon, you can arrive first thing in the morning and take a boat to Magic Kingdom, or transfer to the monorail to Epcot, avoiding the busses and mayhem of the TTC. If you come back at lunchtime with a tired child, all the benefits of the concierge lounge await, including snacks. The themed pool, arcade, and other ameneties are a hit with the kids. At night you can catch the electric parade on the lagoon, and if you ask, there is a single window that affords a perfect view of the Magic Kingdom fireworks. You'll pay top dollar for the room, but for a 1 or 2 night splurge as part of a longer vacation we think it is absolutely worth it! Don't rule out the high-end resorts just because you can't afford them for an entire week.

8  Thank CDBLeola
Write a ReviewReviews (3,621)

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I have been to many deluxe resorts at Disney, and this one is on par with all the rest. The entrance is amazingly open and awe inspiring. Check in was a breeze, we had rooms to the left side of the resort, on the second floor, which made it very easy to get to The Roarin Forks Cafe (which was very good quick serve, but that is another review). The boats to the magic kingdom were very speedy, I never felt like I waited too long. The pool was average. The kids liked, but didn't love the slide, but if think they now compare all slides to the beach club, and there is no comparison to that. We also used the Cubs Den for two nights, and our kids loved it there. We would definitely go back.

2  Thank Joanne C
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for our first trip to Disney this fall. It's best feature is the convenience in terms of transport. It is very close to the Magic Kingdom, which can be easily and quickly (10-15 minutes) reached by either boat or bus. The hotel itself is quite nice. A welcoming reception area, decent and friendly service. The rooms are ok - good size, but perhaps a little dated, although certainly perfectly comfortable, with a nice little porch overlooking the pool area. I didn't like the breakfasts at the cafe - really hectic, not the way I like to start the day, but this is a mass experience, so it is to be expected. We didn't make it to Artists Point, but did have a wonderful drink at the bar - really good margaritas. The pool area seemed nice, though we had little time to take advantage of it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tradewinder
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We were told that Wilderness Lodge is on the low side in price and caliber within the Disney Deluxe resort category. I would still like to try another Deluxe Resort on our next stay, but we were very pleased. Many years ago we stayed at a Disney Value Resort. The room was small and you had to walk quite a distance to the Busses or to the Food Court. Busses often took about an hour total to get to a park with the time you waited at the station and the long drive. Also, once at the Park, the value resort busses parked the furthest away. This was a lot of tiring walking to get into the park, but worse, another long walk at the end of the night, and always a long wait for the bus. We stayed at a Moderate Hotel 2 years ago at Port Orleans and it was a big improvement. Time is so valuable on vacation. Just for travel time, I'm not sure I can ever stay anywhere but Deluxe again. As a Deluxe, Fort Wilderness was very close to the Magic Kingdom and I don't think we ever waited for more than 5 minutes for a bus to or from a park. The bus rides were very short with only the Animal Kingdom being any noticeable time. The bus does sometimes stop at Fort Wilderness, but this is still a much shorter trip than when we stayed at a Moderate or Value Resort. The walk to the bus station or food areas was short and Deluxe hotel busses park the closest to the parks. The feel of a Disney Resort is so great in general. We had just come from one of the Universal Resorts and it is just so welcoming to be at Disney. Lots of smiles and service and attention to detail. This resort's lobby is amazing! Cocktails were slow at the bar as I picked them up "to go" back to my room a couple times, but they were much cheaper compared to our Royal Pacific Universal Resort. It just seemed that getting any counter service food or beverages from anything Disney (parks or resorts) was a bit slow. We preferred the sit down Disney meals in the parks and at the hotel. The hotel does sell retail alcohol for a reduced price compared to bar service and they also sell some limited grocery items in the gift shop which was very helpful. I did wish for a microwave a couple of times, but our room had a coffee maker and fridge. Free wifi, which is expected, but was not available for free at our Universal Resort. Beds were a bit small compared to our Universal hotel and the pool did not have as many bells and whistles and activities for the kids as our Universal hotel. We went to the Hoop Dee Doo Revival over at Fort Wilderness for dinner theatre and I'd recommend it to anyone. We ate at the Wilderness Lodge's Whispering Canyon and the food and service was good, but it wasn't as entertaining as several reviews prior to our trip had claimed.

2  Thank Nerosnow
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My family stayed at the Wilderness Lodge in one of the woods-facing bunk bed rooms. Last year we stayed at the Polynesian and I much preferred this stay at the Wilderness Lodge. As always, the staff was amazingly friendly and made check-in a breeze. The room was clean, spacious and laid out comfortably. The bunk bed option worked out well for us since our kids don't sleep well together. The boat ferry service to and from the Magic Kingdom was great and we waited about the same amount of time as we typically wait for the monorail. There was 1 day that was breezy so the boats didn't run and we had to take the bus, which was much slower. From our 2nd floor balcony we had a partially obstructed view of the Magic Kingdom fireworks. With the potential to have a great view I was disappointed the hotel had no top floor lounge or viewing area, it would have been nice. If you do sit outside at night wear long clothing, I was repeatedly bitten by mosquitoes our first night. Overall we enjoyed our stay but I'm still looking for that perfect Disney hotel!

4  Thank JPMA1234
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This was our first trip to Disney (2 adults, 2 young kids) and we really had no idea what to expect based on all the reviews out there since everyone has different standards. I thought the look and feel of the hotel overall was very nice with a great theme - the kids loved the "Lincoln Logs" look. Everything was always very clean and well maintained around the lobby area and in the room.

The rooms were somewhat on the smaller side with the bunk bed in it. The bathroom was clean and had double sinks which helped with four of us in the room. I wouldn't say it was anything particularly special, but on our trip we didn't spend much time in the room anyway so for our needs it was just fine. We had a minor problem with the alarm clock not working and they replaced it within the hour.

The hotel was also just a short boat ride over to the Magic Kingdom and about 20 mins or so to Epcot by bus.

I wasn't very impressed with the food in the Whispering Canyon restaurant but that's another review...

The pool is ok, and I love that the lifeguards are vigilant about watching everyone. I don't know about the other hotels, but neither the smaller nor the larger pool seemed that great for younger kids (4 and 6). It was probably a little boring in that I think the other hotels may have better slides & activities. We only went to the beach area once briefly and it seemed nice but I don't think there's swimming.

I think we may try somewhere else next time just for the experience, but I wouldn't mind staying here again if there was a good deal.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank live4vacationing
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We just returned from our Disney trip and stayed in the standard view room. It faced a roof and back area parking lot, but we were able to see fireworks (and hear them) from our room. The room has a fridge, but no microwave. It was helpful to store leftover meals as a snack for later. We packed granola bears and a few other items to save money on non-meal items. We were glad we did as a simple Coke from the soda machine was $4. The pool was 78 degrees for comfortable swimming even in November. At 5:45PM each night, they lit a camp fire on the beach and our little one was able to roast marshmallows. The bugs can be vicious. Bring bug spray. There are a few restaurants. We ate in the least expensive every night. Each meal is about $10 per person + a drink. The kids meals are a great value at $5 and includes two snacks, small main item, and drink. The boat trip over to the Magic Kingdom is enjoyable and only about 15 minutes. It took about 1 hour to get to the other parks by bus to and from the hotel because the bus takes multiple stops along the way. I did wish the transportation was a bit quicker, but acceptable.

It was an excellent trip and would recommend this hotel to others.

About the magic bands - it appears most guests were receiving the Mickey Magic Disney Bands as did we... these bracelets allow you to scan at any Disney location and charge automatically to your credit card on file at the hotel with a PIN number. This was extremely convenient, however, they pop off very easily and rumor has it there is a charge for replacing them. They don't go on like a watch, so all you need to do is snag something underneath it and it pops right off. We swam with ours and kept them on the whole time. Twice a band came off on a ride and twice my daughter ended up dropping it somewhere between the hotel room and the bus transportation docking area, which caused my husband to go on a hunt multiple times. Pull a sweater over your head and good chance it pops off. I really hope they upgrade the bands to include a second safety latch. Anyway, we got to the point where we did a "band check" on everyone so if a band was lost, the possible places were minimized.

All in all- great resort. Happy Vacationing