“Great 3 Generation Family Trip”

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #26 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
gate city va
“Great 3 Generation Family Trip”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This trip to Disneyworld we decided to stay at Wilderness Lodge after previously staying at Animal Kingdom and The Grand Floridian. The Wilderness was closer to Magic Kingdom (for the grandkids) than Animal Kingdom and yet still along the same lines. The Christmas decorations were fabulous and the lodge feel was awesome! Our room was on the fifth floor that had a public sitting area with two leather chairs in front of a fireplace that was perfect on that day/night when the temperature dipped near the 30's. Also on the fifth floor was an outside balcony we could stand on and see the light show on Bay Lake every night.
We enjoyed a wonderful meal (w/o the grandkids) at Artist Pointe...it was fabulous! The Kids and grandkids enjoyed the heated pool (even though I thought it was waaay to cold to swim) and hot tubs.

Room Tip: 5th floor offered great views of the hotel yet once the doors closed it was quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank gc-sidelines

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
  • Korean first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge on three separate occassions, prior to becoming "hooked" on the cabins at Fort Wilderness. The Lodge is a beautiful hotel with a lovely swimming pool and beautiful grounds. The pool area is very attractive. The water slide is a "big hit" with the kids and there seems to be endless organized activities on the pool deck if your children are so inclined.

They have a nice bar poolside and a lovely walkway down to the lake. Quite relaxing and attractive.

The grounds are meticulously maintained, and in a typical "Disney" manner, adorable rabbits appeared each evening at dusk meandering around the grounds near the pool and the lake.

The rooms are pretty typical for the higher end Disney resorts, but the resort itself is very charming.

The location is superb for boat transportation to the Magic Kindgom, fireworks and the lighted boat parade.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

The place is super cute. The decor is spot-on and although cheesy, it really does make you feel like you're out west in Yellowstone or something.

The rooms are free of room-to-room noise, however the hallways are echoey and tourists are generally inconsiderate people, so you hear a lot of hallway noise, in the room, when a family comes barreling through after a late night at the park.

We were 3 adults traveling together, and made a last minute reservation, so decided to make a go of it with a room with a queen bed and 2 bunk beds. That was a mistake. The bunk beds are cute idea but for an adult the nostalgia of it doesn't make up for the lack of leg room. I wouldn't recommend trying what we did.

The staff we encountered were all perfectly kind and helpful. I'd return here again for sure.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
aussie in usa
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

This place is gorgeous! We travelled here with two adult children and it certainly brought out the inner children in us all!
Our room had bunks so we could accommodate the two girls without them having to sleep together. The beds were a bit on the short side but once we worked around that, most comfortable. The shower was to die for!! Hotels just don't seem to get that right but everything here was RIGHT.
Somehow we didn't hear ANY noise despite children being everywhere!! Having wifi coverage everywhere was such a bonus for us.
The luxury of being able to check into our flight from the hotel was amazing. It really took the stress out of it all!
My only regret it that it wasn't warmer so that we could make more use of the fantastic pool and surrounding gardens. Would recommend it highly!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ginben
Carlsbad, NM
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for four nights the weekend before the Christmas holiday. My friends and I had two standard rooms, which were located on the fourth floor right off of the Christmas-decorated grand lobby, and it was awesome. Over the years, I have stayed at other Disney resorts (Polynesian, Contemporary, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, and Boardwalk), and the Wilderness Lodge seemed warm, cozy, and intimate, and we loved the theming and Christmas decorations. We read for years it was a great place to stay during the holidays, and we were in no way disappointed!

I arrived via car, and I was greeted immediately by a Disney check-in person and a bellhop. Because I have a mobility disability, I received free valet parking during my stay, which was a nice and helpful perk. Check-in was super easy, and I was struck how cheerful the staff was (even for Disney). I was awe-struck by the huge tree and other holiday decorations in the lobby, including all the usual theming in the Pacific Northwest style. Lots of attention to detail, my friends and I (all middle-aged adults) spent some time just sitting and looking at all the great details such as the fireplace, the lighting, and the indoor "spring." While the pool isn't as much fun as the one at the Beach and Yacht Clubs, we really enjoyed spending time at the pool area, which also has lots of great details to look at, and we really enjoyed the two different hot tubs (one is a "cool" spring--warm but not too hot-- and the "hot" spring, which was very hot with lots of jets and bubbles.) Both were very enjoyable and we met lots of nice people sitting in the hot tubs in the evening and watching the "geyser" and the Magical Electrical Parade.

Two things I want to make sure to highlight: the great Disney transportation available at this resort, and the OUTSTANDING room service. Even though the Wilderness Lodge is not on the monorail, they have water transportation to the Magic Kingdom, which is a lovely ride. One evening, we took the boat at sunset to the MK for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, and it was a beautiful, calm ride past the Contemporary and into Seven Seas Lagoon. While I had to wait for a big boat because I had a mobility scooter ( the smaller boats cannot accommodate them), the wait was minimal (ten minutes) and the cast members running the boats were respectful and patient with me. We had similar experiences with the buses that run to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. The buses were easy to use, even with a scooter, the drivers were kind and courteous, and compared to other resorts--such as the Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach Club location-- there were not a lot of people on the buses when we were. The buses serve the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness, so the ride was scenic and short (again, compared to some other bus routes at other resort locations I have experienced).

Finally, because we were a small group of adults, which means we were much more in leisure vacation mode than "we have to be at the parks when the rope drops" mode, I was able to take advantage of room service at the Lodge, which I have done only once before this Disney trip. The room service was outstanding in every way! The people taking orders were helpful, even offering to call me before my order arrived to make sure I was out of the shower! But the food and portions were, surprisingly, outstanding! I ordered breakfast one morning and lunch/dinner one late afternoon before going to one of the parks. The yogurt/fruit/granola combo was large and satisfying, but the best thing I had was a (real, sliced) turkey sandwich with cranberry mayo and multigrain bread. I still think about this sandwich! It was huge--enough for two meals--and really tasty and filling. Worth the money for both taste and convenience! I think my party dined at every restaurant in the Lodge, even had wine and fondue at the Lounge late one evening, and while they all have a very different atmospheres and menus, we enjoyed each one. However, weeks later, I still think about that awesome turkey sandwich with homemade potato chips from room service!

Overall, my party had a wonderful time at the WL. I love staying at Disney resorts, and I have my favorites. After this holiday stay, the Wilderness Lodge is now definitely one of my new Disney resort faves.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Rhetprof
NYC
Reviewed 8 January 2014

It's a lovely place, perhaps better suited to adults or families with older children simply because the theming is more restrained than at many other Disney hotels; my 3-year-old would have preferred characters galore. There were a couple service glitches that prevent me from giving a higher rating. One was that check-in took over 20 minutes even though there was no line, and the cast member who handled it simply didn't seem to know what he was doing (and is perhaps a bit too much of an introvert to work at Disney reception - he seemed like he would rather have been doing anything other than interacting with humans). Another was that it took three phone calls and a wait of an hour to secure 1 PM check-out on our last day; our first request was lost. That time sink prevented us from being able to execute the plan we'd made to visit Downtown Disney that morning. Fortunately, we hadn't paid retail rates for the hotel. Check discount sites before you book thru Disney! We saved over $100 per night.
I'll conclude with some of Wilderness Lodge's better features: we had an excellent dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe; my daughter had the time of her life at the pool; and the boat to Magic Kingdom is quick and so convenient.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank curtiny
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

This was our first Disney stay with our family, and we were very happy with our choice. The place is beautiful (especially at Christmas), with a great pool area and a smaller pool for the kids. We have two 4 year olds who loved the kiddie pool, which also allowed the parents to relax a little. The staff was also extremely friendly and helpful, we didn't like our initial room location and were moved to a higher floor without a problem. Loved the feel and vibe of the place overall. The only negatives in my opinion are relatively small. 1. The quick serve restaurant is small and not layed out very well. You could potentially have to wait in 3 lines to get everything you want, and at peak times it's sort of chaotic. 2. Shared buses to all parks other than Magic Kingdom, which is a short ferry ride away. All in all I Highly recommend this place, especially for families with small kids.

Stayed December 2013