“Not worth the $$ difference” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #35 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Tupelo, Mississippi, United States
“Not worth the $$ difference”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed here a couple of years ago. The hotel from the outside is gorgeous. Very reminiscent of The Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone- the lobby is gorgeous too. Great arcade and really good restaurants. The reason I only give it 3 stars is, I have also stayed at the Value resorts and as far as the "room" itself? Hardly any difference. We were not in our room enough to make up the huge difference in $$. You are paying more for the ambiance in the lobby etc...NOT your room. We were club level and had a balcony also. It was nice seeing the fireworks from the balcony but I would rather spend more on something besides hotel perks.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dana S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Korean first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed here again in Nov 2013 for Christmas party at the Magic Kingdom, Tomorrowland Dessert Buffet, as well as several Epcot Food and Wine Festival reservations (Italian Tutto Gusto) and "Frunch" (French regional lunch). Also dined at Ohana, Sci-Fi Diner, Boma, California Grill, Kona, Whispering Canyon, La Hacienda. Was very convenient and enjoyed the theming as a mid30s professional couple with no kids for a Foodie vacation. Spent a day at DisneyQuest. This was an extended 10 day Disney trip - we enjoyed the pool as well as the daily pool activities - great things like painting small plastic frogs, making key chains etc. Also took a walk around the grounds and saw deer, rabbits, etc. This is a convenient location and gives you great access to the theme parks by bus or boat. The Roaring Forks quick service has great flatbreads and ok breakfast. We always book Jiko after a day at Animal Kingdom park for an amazing gourmet dinner. The new wristbands are in effect and were convenient. Make sure you book when Disney has their sales. Room only pricing is often better than the meal plan as we don't always want dessert and would rather have appetizer (meal plan has limitations). And travelocity sometimes has additional % off. This is our go-to Disney resort (I also like Beach Club, hubby likes Animal Kingdom Villa) for best price and location in the deluxe category.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yvrgirlToronto
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Simply loved it here, spent 8 nights here, it is truly a gem in the magical world of Disney. All the staff genuinely love their jobs and it shows. Cannot wait to return one day.
Especially the concierge 'Kirk' who made our trip even more magical with a lovely touch in our room of balloons and candy for our boys.

Room Tip: We stayed in room2150, very nice and comfortable
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank UkBarney
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Our family of 4 has stayed here before and we really enjoy it. This visit was no exception. Here's what we liked:

1) Theme/Grounds - one of the best around. When you walk into the lodge, it is incredibly impressive. It is huge with details like totem poles and a giant fireplace with rocking chairs in front. There is a little "stream" that flows through the hotel and then outside and eventually into the pool, and in the lodge there is a small bridge over it. The kids loved playing (running?) on it! Outside there are 2 pools, the main pool had a small water slide perfect for our 9-year old. There was a "geyser" that erupted every hour (?) and wooden bridges and flickering "lantern" lights at night. The grounds were quite big, and beautiful with flowers everywhere. We enjoyed roasting marshmallows on the beach.

2) Location - Our kids were 9 and 5. We loved the proximity to Magic Kingdom and that we could take a quick ferry ride to the park. We also took a ferry boat ride to the Contemporary where we had reservations at California Grill. We had a car and drove to the other parks/resorts, but bus transportation was available.

3) Restaurants - Roaring Forks proved to be great counter service, and we enjoyed dessert at Territory Lounge one night with the kids. We did not try Whispering Canyon or Artist's Point during our visit, but they were there, too!

4) Free WiFi and nice, warm showers!

Here is what we thought could use improvement:

1) Sleep quality - the shower was nice and hot with good water pressure, but the beds were not very comfortable. They were very soft (too soft) and not supportive. Both my and my husband's backs started to become sore at the end of the week. I brought my own pillow, and was glad I did so.

2) Service - it just wasn't the "Disney" service we have gotten used to. When we arrived, I took my daughter inside to look at the lodge. We were excited. We just got to Disney! My husband was still outside, trying to get my tired 5-year old and some luggage inside. The Disney attendants greeted me outside and immediately began ushering me inside. I explained that I wanted to wait for my husband and joked that I wasn't the one settling the bill. They were pushy. They said if we registered online, no credit card was needed, and moved me along. I was disappointed. I wanted to see my 5-year old's face when he walked into the lodge! But they weren't taking "no" for an answer, so we begrudgingly ended up checking in without my husband and guess what? They DID need his credit card! Despite registering online, they needed it again. And so I missed my 5-year old's face walking in for nothing. We had to wait for my husband at the counter anyway. As my husband pulled up the car, he was immediately greeted by someone who offered to "help him with his bags." My husband asked if he could take them up himself, and was told no. So he joked that "yes, he would love help with the bags!" We waited in our room for them to bring the bags and some Garden Grocer delivery items we ordered online. They brought them up and my husband noticed that we were missing some of the grocery bags. A few minutes later, they found them and brought them to us. My husband tipped him, and then we realized that 2 pieces of luggage were missing including my 9-year old's suitcase. We waited again, and worried, until they eventually found it (within 1/2 hour). In dealing with these "small" issues, we ended up wasting quite a bit of time and missing an opportunity to take the kids to the pool (as promised) before our dinner reservations. Sadly this could have been avoided if we would have been able to take up our own bags as you do at Disney's Hilton Head resort. There were lots of other little things - no Disney experience during our stay. Very little smiling and "magic." No stickers for the kids at check-in or during our stay at the hotel. I remember in years past, they got stickers everywhere! One thing I will say is that the life guards at the pool seemed EXCEPTIONAL. There were multiple life guards who appeared to take their jobs very seriously. They were always monitoring things and we even saw one jump in and pull out a toddler who seemed to have gotten a little excited to reach for a toy in the deep end. We heard a quick whistle and then a jump without hesitation. Impressive. We also had great service at the Territory Lounge.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TrpReviwr
Sandpoint, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed here in a Disney Vacation Club One Room suite. The room was very nice. Had a minor maintenance issue, which was addressed by the staff immediately. The location is very nice and peaceful. Quick bus or boat ride to the Magic Kingdom. The only problem we had was the transportation from here to any of the other parks. It seemed like we had to wait forever anytime we wanted to go to EPCOT. I would stay here again for peace and relaxation, but I would stay somewhere on the Boardwalk for convenience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank mmik3
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is one of my favorite Disney Resorts, with a beautifully expressed wooden lodge theme, complete with Disney character totem poles. We celebrated a family reunion at this resort in Jan 2013. I stayed in a Deluxe Room on the Club level, which had a living area with a sleeper sofa and coffee bar, and two queen beds in an adjoining room. The two rooms shared a spacious bathroom sink area, that had a separate door to the toilet and shower. This made getting ready accommodating for multiple women! Since we were on the club level, we had access to an inclusive continental breakfast, which had a nice selection of fruits, pastries, yogurts, and oatmeal. This was something that helped our meal plan extend really nicely, as one meal was already covered in our room expenses. We also enjoyed the Roaring Fork quick service cafe, which worked with our meal plan. In terms of transportation, the Magic Kingdom was easily accessible via a little boat ride across Bay Lake. The other parks required a bus ride, or catching the monorail at the MK. I would return again, without question, and it would be one of my first recommendations for someone looking for a Disney experience.

Room Tip: I recommend the club level for the amenities
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank archima_cm
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

As I have pretty much stayed in every hotel disney has to offer (because they are a different class) I like to feel that I can make a good comparison, and this hotel really does stand out. As you probably know all of the Disney hotel's have a theme and the theme of wilderness is very evident throughout this hotel. I found that this was a much more relaxed hotel, although still an obvious presence of little kids, I think this is a good option for either families with older children or adults alone. Our room looked on to a spectacular water feature and It was lovely to watch various people have their photo taken at it. Our room also overlooked the pool although it was not noisy at all for how close we were and also Disney's bay lagoon which was as stunning as ever. Although the pool was always relatively busy, I felt as though I had stumbled across a hidden treasure when I discovered the hotels private beach which no one used!! It is not as though it is hidden away from the traffic of people, but literally no one sunbathed there, I could sit for hours without so much as another person even contemplating sitting there. Perhaps this is because you can't swim in the lake, but the 2 pools are visible from the beach area so I don't see why this should be a problem. I recommend you use the beach!! The lobby also had a very wilderness feel to it, with frontier music always playing and a smaller water feature inside. Every hour on the hour a huge geyser shoots into the air near the pool which is entertaining for all to watch. The jogging/cycling trail at this hotel is the best I have seen in any Disney hotel. It runs through a forest that goes on for at least 5 miles as there are different routes you can take. I also frequently came very close to deer during my walks/runs which really was magical. The transportation is very good, you can get a boat from the hotel directly to the magic kingdom and home, which is very convenient when leaving the park after magic hours at 3am. The only thing which was not as good about this hotel was the food services. There was an over the counter restaurant and a buffet style restaurant, and the selection at both was not extensive. However this was not a problem for us as we always eat out. Rooms where of the usual excellent disney standard and the service here was especially excellent, the reception desk were very helpful when a member of our party had lost their mobile phone. On the whole, an excellent more quiet disney hotel that I throughly recommend you give a chance .

• Stayed August 2013