“Update Needed In Many Areas But Mainly the Menu!”

Disney's Yacht Club Resort
Ranked #52 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Texas
“Update Needed In Many Areas But Mainly the Menu!”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The hotel is probably good for young families without much travel experience. However, as a seasoned traveler, I found it to be in desperate need of updating - rooms, lobby area, furniture, menu, uniforms of service, etc.

I could handle the furniture and uniforms, but the fact that the same menu is offered in every restaurant and on room service with very little variety, was very disappointing. I felt as if I had eaten the same meal for 3 days.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank mikni2wri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Thai first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel with family due to discount promotion offered by Disney. Rooms are spacious and well kept. Decor was reasonably fresh. Had to ask for the mattress to be changed to a firmer one but this was done promptly and efficiently by the hotel staff. Room was ground floor overlooking the lighthouse and offered great views of the nightly fireworks. Kids loved the pool. The pool makes the hotel worth the premium even without the discount rates. One of the best locations on property.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This was our 2nd visit to this resort. Our original room had a view of a very large tree as you opened the balcony doors.However, we did not unpack, went straight to reception and they swapped the room to one facing the lake! We could view the fantastic fire work display at EPCOT every night. The real beauty of this hotel is that you can walk to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios and not have to catch a crowded bus. The only downside to this hotel is that there is no food court and only 2 refill stations for your soft drinks. These are located in the Beach Club, adjacent to the Yacht. We think this is the best Disney Hotel, it has all the magic and more,hence stayed there for three weeks. Families tend to stay in the Beach and adults in the yacht and there is a themed pool with sanded bottom, lazy river and entertainment for the kids. All in all you will have a fab time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the car park or lobby
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We had heard very nice things about the Yacht Club but we were very disappointed with our stay.

The pros

- It is very close to the back entrance to Epcot which gets you into the World Showcase near the Canada exhibit. This made for easy access to lots of lunch and dinner options.
- It has boat access to two parks which is great if you are done with walking
- The Captain's Grille restaurant had some truly delicious food
- The "lagoon view" rooms have a nice view of The Boardwalk and water.
- The hotel gift shop has a nice stock of snacks and cold drinks along with most things you might need if you forgot it at home.
- When the AC was working, it really kept the rooms cool in hot weather
- The bathroom showers had excellent water pressure
- The bell hops were quick and full of information and helpful hints about the hotel and the park
- The maids left towel animals on the beds which were quite cute

The cons
- The rooms were not clean. Food trays were left outside our door for several days (not our food), the bathrooms had brown smears on the walls and the towels left in our room had a very bad smell.
- Turn down service is not automatic. When we requested it, it didn't happen consistently.
- The staff did not respond well to problems. They had quick excuses for everything but would then change their response when we didn't immediately go away.

Examples:
The three rooms we first got assigned did not meet what we had been told in terms of bedding arrangements. We had called four times leading up to this trip, including the day prior to arrival, to confirm our plans.

We had a friend from the area try to join us for lunch and she was turned away at the gate. When we asked to have her let in the concierge told us no and there was no way she could get in now. When we asked to talk to a manager, the manager told me to tell my friend to lie about why she was trying to get in. Specifically telling me, to tell her, to tell the gate keeper that she was here to pick me up instead of here for lunch. This seemed silly to me and his excuse was their 'high security measures'. When I refused to have my friend lie about why she was here, I left the desk area and made new plans for lunch. They tried to flag me down later to give me a parking pass that I hadn't asked for but it was much too late to be of use.

When the AC wasn't working the front desk told us to wait in our room for a repairman. After an hour and more calls to the front desk we finally left for somewhere cooler since it was over 100 outside and getting quite warm inside.

Twice when we asked to be given the email or phone number of a manager to talk to about one of our problems we were told no, they don't do that. Another time we were given a business card that only had the address of the hotel on it, no name of the manager or way to contact them at that time.

We "hooked up" our park tickets at the hotel but one of our party was continually redirected to guest services when we entered the park for the first two days. I don't know if this was a hotel or a park issue, but it took up about an hour of extra time each day due to lines.

Room Tip: Lagoon View rooms had a nice view all day and evening.
4 Thank Jennifer K
Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The services at the hotel was excellent. The atmosphere was very nice. But my room was dirty, on the first day, the bathtub was not cleaned from the previous guest (I hope is not from before that). I found shave hairs (I hope that it was from legs but not sure) on the tub, I signaled it but it was not cleaned neither on the day I signaled it or the day after. I stepped on the LED on the floor and I found rest of snack from the previous guest (I hope that it was from legs but not sure). For the price of a night I would I expected a cleaner room. The services for attending a conferences were very good and the buffet was very good and for everybody taste (carnivorous to vegan).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Djassfr
Malvern, PA
Reviewed 15 October 2013

It all started once we checked in...The magic bands were not activated so I had to walk all the way back down to the desk. Beds were uncomfortable, small fridge, small bathroom I mean small there is just enough room to swing the door open...Did not love the room or the pool. Don't get me wrong the pool is nice but there are three major design problem. 1. it is too spread out. If you have smaller kids you constantly have to keep an eye on them and walk all around the pool to keep an eye on them you can't just sit and relax you have to move from 1 place to another. 2. The water slide, it is nice and fun for the kids but not for the adults. The entrance to the slide is outside the pool area, and you have to walk across a PUBLIC WALKWAY to get to it. So, you constantly have to get out of the pool and make sure your kids gets there safely with out be abducted. Come on Disney.....there should be a private walkway to get to that slide. So you constantly have to get out of the pool to watch your kids make it safely...3. The hot tubs.....I noticed several times the hot tubs were not being watched by the life guards....one is really secluded and the other is sorta behind a the life guard. It takes 30 seconds for a kid to drown.....The marketplace for quick service meals was very limited and not good. The drinks by the pool took for ever to get and for her to come back around again...The hotel was clean and the staff was nice but that is about it. At 400.00 a night I will not be staying there again. And I would not get the dining plan. I did not like the food at Disney to spend that much on food....

5 Thank homersMom
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at the Yacht Club from 10/9-14/2013. I called the night before and requested my two rooms be near each other and on an upper floor near the elevators. When we arrived, we were greeted by a woman with an iPad who said both our rooms were ready and connecting...great start! To finish the check-in process, we went inside. The front desk area was swamped, so the woman took us over to the concierge desk. The clerk who completed my check-in was by far, the most hard-to-understand and slow front desk person I've ever encountered at Disney. I am not trying to be mean, but her accent was so thick I could hardly understand her English (and I speak fluent Spanish!!!) We were at the desk for at least 20 minutes...after much confusion on our MagicBands (which really wasn't her fault, but she should've been more educated) and whether or not our rooms were truly ready, we were off to rooms 2125 and 2127. I wasn't thrilled being on the 2nd floor, but at least they were connecting and near the elevator. The rooms were very well-appointed...one had two queen beds, a day bed, and a desk (2127) and the other had two queen beds, a chair and ottoman, and desk (2125). The beds were very comfortable. In 2127, the balcony was totally unobstructed and looked out onto the lagoon. In 2125, the balcony had an awning and was in front of a lamppost and tree, so the view wasn't totally clear...whatever. Typically, we stay at the Grand Floridian because I like monorail service. But, I realized on this trip that the rooms at the Grand are really showing their age and need a renovation badly. These rooms were newer looking and brighter. We requested turn-down service and received it for free! This was very generous seeing that only concierge level/suite and Grand Floridian guests are supposed to receive. The maid was not overly friendly and insisted on tapping on our door every single morning at around 8:30 to clean our room...that was kind of annoying. On the third night, we noticed the flushing mechanism on the toilet was broken. We notified the maintenance staff at around 6:00pm and it was fixed by our return to the room at 11:30pm. On the fourth night, Magic Kingdom had late hours, so we took advantage of them and arrived back at the hotel at 12:30am. We were thirsty, but the gift shop was closed. So a man at the front desk, Allan, said there was vending machines...only on the first floor...only at the end of the longest hallway I've ever walked down. So, I made the trek down to the room, only to have all my bills ($1, $5, $10, and $20) be declined. I returned to the front desk (this was at almost 1:00am now) and he said hold one moment. He brought me up to the 5th floor concierge level and gave me 4 bottles of water for free. It was very nice, and that is the kind of service I have come to know at Disney! The airline check-in process was great, and there were no other issues at the hotel. Overall, the Yacht Club is a great resort for families with older children who enjoy Epcot and Hollywood Studios (they are both accessible by walking and boat!!!) and are looking for a more quiet hotel. I would most definitely stay here again, but my heart truly belongs at the Grand Floridian.

3 Thank jMarg27