I was told by a Cast Member that when Prince Charles was at Walt Disney World earlier this year, the Yacht Club was the resort at which he stayed. You might wonder why he didn't stay at the Grand Floridian, the "flagship" hotel of WDW. But when you walk around the Yacht Club, you can kind of feel why this may have been his resort of choice. It has a more sedate feel than the other deluxe resorts. The decor is in muted grey, burgandy, and navy. The nautical theme sports lots of ship wheels, rope, and woods.
My room overlooked the marina and had a balcony that was great for watching the sunrise and eating a danish picked up from the Boardwalk Bakery on an early morning jog. The hallways can seem like an endless, confusing maze (not that Chuck had to worry about this since he was in the presidential suite). Luckily my room was right around the corner from a single elevator that opened near a door to the quiet pool and a pathway out to the boardwalk, so I didn't have to backtrack to the lobby when I wanted to go to Epcot.
The Yacht Club is a great hotel for early morning exercisers. The path around Cresent Lake makes for a scenic sunrise jog and the Boardwalk Bakery is open early so you can stop in and pack the calories on that you just burned off getting there. You could also jog the path from the Boardwalk area to Hollywood Studios. The fitness center is open 24 hours with your card key or Magic Band (though sadly the sauna room and plunge pool have been separated into the spa and no longer accessable from the fitness center). I saw at least 6 or 7 treadmills and eliptical machines, as well as weight machines, free weights, balls, mats. There are bathrooms and push button lockers available in the fitness center. You can swim laps in the quiet pool (offical opening time was 7am when I was there but a Cast Member told me the quiet pools at all resorts would be going to 24 hours since they are going to more strict hours for the main pools).
While the Yacht Club is a more subdued resort, it wins points with the kiddies for the great Stormalong Bay pool. This meandering pool has a shipwreck slide and a sand bottom. Kids also like the Beaches and Cream soda shop but I would suggest being there when they open since they don't take reservations and the popluar, small space fills quickly. I am told that even Prince Charles had a Kitchen Sink sundae sent up to his room and that the Yacht Club staff once closed Beaches and Cream so that Queen Elizabeth could eat there. Goes to show there's a little kid in all of us, I guess.
One of the best features of this resort is the ability to walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios (especially handy during Food and Wine Festival or Star Wars Weekends). The Yacht Club is a little further down the path than the Beach Club or the Boardwalk resorts but not excessively so for someone who is used to getting around on their own mobility.
The staff was unfailingly cordial, polite, and well-informed. Even though I arrived at about 11:00, they had my room ready, which I partly attributed to completing online check-in ahead of time.
This was the only Deluxe Resort in Walt Disney World that I had not stayed in so my selection of this resort for this stay was more about checking it off my list rather than a buring desire to stay here. However, after my time at the Yacht Club, I would happliy select this resort again. If it's good enough for the Windsors...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Delight in the formal grace of a grand New England-style yacht club at this lakeside hotel. Relax in the inviting elegance of a plush lobby replete with nautical touches, explore the whimsical Stormalong Bay and rent a variety of watercraft from Bayside Marina. Sharing many amenities with its pastel-toned sister, Disney's Beach Club Resort, Disney's Yacht Club Resort is walking distance to Epcot and a convenient boat ride to Disney's Hollywood Studios. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Disney's Yacht Club Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney`s Yacht Club Hotel Orlando
- Disneys Yacht Hotel
- Disneys Yacht Resort
- Yacht Club Disney
- Disney Yacht And Beach Club
- Yacht Club Orlando
- Disney Yacht Club Resort
- Disneys Yacht Club Resort
- Disney's Yacht Club Resort Orlando, Florida