“Value for the Money?”

Disney's Yacht Club Resort
Ranked #52 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just got back today from an overnight stay at this resort. The location, the grounds, and the lobby are wonderful! The staff was above average, as well. Every staff member we dealt with was personable and actually seemed to enjoy what they were doing. A big plus, in this day and age!
We had lunch yesterday and breakfast this morning. The food was very good and the prices were what we expected to pay at a high-end resort. The rooms, however, did not reflect a high-end resort. We appreciated the double sinks, and the bed was very comfortable, and everything was very clean. However, some things needed to be redone. There was a nasty yellow stain on the tile floor next to the toilet bowl that went around it for a few inches. Those tiles should have been replaced even if it meant reseating the toilet bowl to get to the tiles.The space between the door and the bowl itself could not have been more than one inch, if that.
We had a balcony which was very nice, however, we were told we would have a garden view.
The view was overlooking part of the tennis courts and a building that held linens. That building was partially hidden by the trees, but we heard what sounded like the a/c running.
In all fairness, we paid $286.98 for the room, a big bargain over the $400 plus rate, but, I wonder how someone would feel paying so much money for that room. For $300-$500 for a room, I expected something grander. Perhaps, I am just old-fashioned and expect too much.
What was nice was the fact that when we arrived on the 4th floor around noon, our room was ready for us. That was a bonus. What I found troublesome was that when we went up to the 4th floor, one part of the hallway that was close to our room had an exhaust smell. The a/c there was going full blast, and the smell was as if someone left a car running near the a/c intake vent.
Our room had no exhaust smell, nor that musty hotel odor, so that was good. I did mention the hallway smell to one of the hotel women at the front desk. She seemed concerned and said she would bring it to someone's attention. When we got back to the hotel in the evening, I did not smell it, nor did I smell it later when I went downstairs again much later in the evening. I was disconcerted, however, that I smelled it again when I went down for breakfast, and later, when I
left to check out. I brought it to the bellman's attention who helped us with our luggage. After I mentioned it to him, he said, yes, he did notice it once I mentioned it to him. In any event, I told the woman at the front desk when we checked out. I told the gal, while I thought the hotel was lovely, I would not stay there again due to that problem. It is very possible that on the other floors there was no problem, but I did not check that. Since the smell had not permeated into my room, and I had not smelled it at night in the hallway, I had assumed maintenance had found the problem and fixed it. I guess not, since there it was in the morning. So, there you have it, the hotel is classy, the staff is helpful and friendly,the rooms and linen are immaculately kept, the location to the boardwalk and Epcot are within walking distance, and the boat to Disney Hollywood is a stone's throw away. That was worth the $300. However, the rooms need a bit updating, and the balcony door should have a screen. A poor mocking bird banged its head into the door 3x this morning before I realized where the noise was coming from and closed the drapes. Had the door been open at that time, the bird would have been in the room. It is wonderful to have doors that open to a balcony, but without screens, I certainly would not keep the door open any time of the year in Florida! I am a Florida resident, and I know what creeps and flies around at all times of the day and night! Disney, make the most of the balcony doors and invest in screens for your guests. For the kind of money the guests pay, it is worth the investment.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nocook2013
There are newer reviews for Disney's Yacht Club Resort

Reviewed 1 December 2013

The hotel needs some updates though; the wallpaper from the hallways is not really attractive. The rooms don't reflect the value. In change, the lobby is stunning; nice place to enjoy a cup of coffee or a glass of wine or the entire bottle.
Unfortunately, we did not have the chance to enjoy the pool for too long....most of time, it was closed.
Indeed, he resort is beautiful, . and there are so many things to do and see.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Angie T
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We didn't actually stay here but we went for lunch at beaches and cream restaurant, so we had a good look around the resort after lunch.
The staff were very friendly, each person said hello to us, the hotel is stunning, so clean and immaculate, the pool is huge and areas for all ages.
It's right opposite the boardwalk so has stunning views of the boardwalk, plus a lovely promenade to walk along, there was loads of parking available and very friendly staff on the gate.
If I could afford it I would definitely stay here as it's just beautiful and so much to do within the resort.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lou98uk
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Can't say enough about the yacht club resort.
Rooms: deluxe, lots room for 5 people, quiet
Hotel: walking distance to Epcot and so many restaurant options,
Can't be beat
Pool: huge, lots of room, great fun slides for big and little kids, loved sandy bottom pool!! Great snacks and meals poolside, lots of shade if needed and quiet areas
Resort: beautiful place to walk around the lake, pretty flowers
Staff are great
We switched resorts at the end to riverside and it was easy process !
Would highly recommend resort and can't wait to return

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank mecrla
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This beautiful hotel offers an exceptional setting and easy walking pathway to Epcot. Greatly enjoyed our lovely, large room overlooking the lagoon with fireworks reflecting on the water nightly from Epcot. The toiletry amenities were exceptional with the inclusion of sunscreen and refreshing mint foot cream. And who doesn't like to come back to their room dotted with towel characters? So fun!

Great pools to refresh yourself in after a long day at one of the parks. But it's also nice to just sit in one of the sandy beach areas and watch the boats go by.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the lagoon so you can enjoy nightly Epcot fireworks from your balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TOCazzie
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Very similar vibe to Grand Floridan , a little cheaper but in some aspects the Yacht Club is the best Disney hotel being on the boardwalk and walking distance to the various bars and restaurants in that locality . Rooms are large, clean , nautically themed and upmarket . The lobby bar doubles as a morning coffee shop , great open space lobby area , restaurants , and superb landscaping and access to Epcot by complimentary boat shuttle. Would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at the Yacht Club while attending a conference, staying two nights and kicking myself for not extending my stay. While the conference didn't offer a lot of opportunity to experience the Disney magic, I can offer the following:

The Superlatives
*I took the convenient Magic Express shuttle from the airport to the hotel. When I got off the bus, one of the Disney ambassadors greeted me before I reached the door, called me by name, and took me directly to the front desk attendant who was ready to check me in.
* The magic bracelet was waiting for me at the front desk (if you book early enough, I understand it is mailed to you). The high tech-looking bracelet had my name on it, another great Disney touch. The attendant explained how it worked (in other words, how easy it was to shop!). If I wasn't thinking about shopping before, I was then.
* The facility is gorgeous, relaxing. The location is also a huge advantage, since you can walk or take a boat ride to Epcot, visit the Boardwalk, etc. The famed Disney buses also are ready to take you anywhere else.
* As conference facilities go, this is on the top of the list. The conference facilities were comfortable, and there were Disney reps standing alongside conference reps seemingly everywhere, watching your face to see if they could detect that you needed something. The food and snacks were great, and branding was everywhere (egg sandwich in the shape of Mickey??).

Things that might affect your stay:
* While the rooms are comfortable, they are not huge, not really commensurate with the $$. I am not sure I would pay rack rate. If you are expecting a huge room because of the $$, you may be disappointed. Instead, you are paying for the convenience, the overall grandeur, and the brand.
* While the Magic Express from the airport was very comfortable, I also opted for my luggage to be picked up for me and delivered to my room. The luggage took almost four hours to arrive (not typical), and it affected my ability to change into something more comfortable to walk around the property. Since I was traveling alone, I should have retrieved my own bag. For families, this service may be a huge help, as long as you can wait for it to arrive.
* The hotel is huge. I've seen a couple of reports that their rooms were far away. That absolutely can happen. There are enough alternative exits and entrances that this can be minimized, but it's just a by-product of the size of the place. My room was far, far away from the conference facility and lobby (restaurants, pool), but very close to the entrance to the boardwalk.

Disney is truly the happiest place on earth. Where else can you witness grown men wearing Mickey ears -- and it's perfectly ok? There are as many adults skipping as there are children. Even while attending the conference, the Disney magic was contagious. Yes, I am going back, only next time it will be to skip along the Boardwalk.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business