“Good times and great location”

Disney's Yacht Club Resort
Ranked #58 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is a hotel that is good for families or couples. My husband and I stayed here with a small group of his co-workers and their spouses.

Pluses first:

You must take advantage of the Disney Magical Express. This will get your luggage handled at the Orlando airport and to your room within 2 hours of your arrival if you come in before 10:00 p,m. No standing at baggage claim (I forgot about this and looked like an idiot when I went to Delta Baggage Service to file a claim when I did not see my bag...the agent said Oh Disney gets your luggage from the plan). Head down ..I smiled and walked away...embarrassed. I almost missed my flight and thought my bags did not make it. Because they had the Disney bag tag, Delta got it on the plane.

Ok back to the review. You just by pass baggage claim and go to the Disney Service Center. You show them your magic bands or papers and you are directed to a air conditioned limousine bus. No luggage dragging here. A tip though-if you do the pass and plan on going to one of the parks right after your arrival, where the clothes on the plane that you are planning to wear at the park. That includes your comfortable shoes. Your bags will be in your room but Disney asks for a 2-3 hour window. If you are traveling with kids, imagine the relief of not having to deal with counting bags and getting someone to bring up to your room. This is only available if you stay on a Disney property.

The Yacht club will be one of the last resorts when they are dropping off guests. You will notice the very nautical uniforms and you will be greeted by a Captain. If you do the Disney bands, it's "Mickey to Mickey. That means you touch your Mickey on your band to the Mickey reader at the check in and viola....up comes your registration. Easy peasy!

The rooms-
No key...again the magic band...Mickey to Mickey unlocks the door. Now you start to believe these bands are magic. The room has a Nautical theme but not at nauseam. We had a king bed suite. Super large balconies but I think all the rooms have one. Two sinks but only one outlet port. I had to trade places with hubby to plug in curling irons. There is a work desk with additional outlets but not the kind you find at hotels that cater to business travelers. They are good enough and you will find others in your room to plug in laptops and other electronic devices.

Bed was comfy. Overall average size room.

Location-

The location itself is wonderful. You do have a small private beach ...yes a beach. Big outdoor pool with a ship "wrecked" off the beach for the kids to run around in. Again this is private so if you need to close your eyes to relax a little...go ahead. The kids will be fine.

They do have a salon and spa. I only found out about them the day before we left. I needed a hair product which they did not have. Hubby and I walked to another property that had the hair product I needed. I paid a hefty price but beauty always comes with a price.

There is a Boardwalk here which is great. We had brunch at Kozzina's (sp?). It's a chef Kat Kora restaurant. The super Disney fan in our group said it's shutting down in October. No reason why but man we had a great Greek brunch there. They also had a walk up window if you wanted to get a pizza. Hope they put something else just as good in it's place.
There are other smaller food outlet options. They are there to serve those residing in the timeshares. One place has some really cute desserts and offer bagels in the morning.

ESPN I believe is there too .

The Boardwalk could use a little more life. I hope there are plans to expand it.

Food-

Do the buffet! It's great. We only ate here twice for breakfast and it was fabulous. They offered some unique breakfast items you just don't see at a typical buffet. The uniforms of the staff may look a little dated but you get service with a smile.

They also have an omelet guy. He definitely is a Disney worker. I asked for an omelet made with Egg Beaters. He said he would have to go get the carton. I hated to see him walk away and have other people waiting. I said that's ok I will just get egg whites with other ingredients. I walked away to get other goodies. Came back and with a cute grin, the omelet guy said he got the Egg Beaters for me. That's how they do things at Disney!!!! Thanks for the great service omlete guy!!!

Getting around-

The two ways to get the Disney properties from here are by the Ferry our the free Disney bus up front. The ferry will get you to the back of Epcot. That is important to remember if you leave late at night. My husband and I made the mistake of leaving Epcot at the front entrance. We ended up on a bus to another Disney park just to take another bus to get to the ferry! Hubby was not happy about that.

Going to the other parks, you can take the buses/shuttles at the front of the hotel. They are free. The ferry though was a little more fun. It's free too.

Gift shop

Gift shop-Nice but this is the only place I would say needs a smidge of improvement. I do wish they had more regular items you see at other gift shops you see at non-themed hotels. Again, the hair product I was looking for was nothing unusual. While the shop did have some travel size toiletries, I just wish they had more basic things. If you need first aid items or basic hair stuff, you may need to take a cab or use your rental car to go off property and go to a nearby CVS. I do recall seeing one not too far away when I first arrived. I did cave on a very cute top. Hubby bought wine so he could get the free Disney back pack. I failed him when he walked around earlier in a fanny pack from all places...Universal studios. His co-workers teased him a little by stating fanny packs were outdated even though we got it two years ago. Oh well.

Bar-

There is a small bar area and lounge. The bartenders are extremely engaging. They will fix whatever you need and will also make recommendations. Again that is how they do it at Disney.

Would I stay here again?

Definitely yes but I am curious about the other properties now. Some are much closer to the park but again I did not feel we were so far away that we were isolated.

Last but not least-use the Magic Express to get your bags to the airport. The magic is over though when you get home.

Your back at baggage claim in our home town waiting on your bag. Oh well! The magic of Disney is at one place...Disney. :-)

See my other reviews on Epcot, The main Disney Park and Disney Studios. If you are a foodie and like Southern food and bar b que, see my review on Hoop Dee Do Musical Review.

Room Tip: Get a room where you can walk right out to the Pier.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank melnatl
Write a ReviewReviews (2,431)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The moment you walk in the front door, the ‘captain’ on duty greets you. This sets the tone for the boat like feel of the resort. The Magical Express dropped us out front and we were greeted and escorted in by a cast member. She led us to the front desk where we picked up our check in package (I had taken advantage of on-line check-in prior to arrival). Our room was ready so we headed up to check it out. We were in a beautiful location overlooking the quiet pool with a great view of one of the huge dolphins on top of the neighboring resort. We had read so much about the pool we decided it had to be the first thing we did. We changed and took off to check it out. It was fabulous. So much larger than I thought it might be. The lazy river was so relaxing. My daughter enjoyed playing volleyball in the pool each afternoon and she loved playing in the pool with the sand beach leading into it. It was convenient to have an easy lunch/snack/cocktail at Hurricane Hanna’s while at the pool. The servers walking around the pool area and bartenders were the best. The room was large with 2 queen size beds and chair and ottoman. The location was quiet and I did not hear any noise from our neighbors. I enjoyed the in room coffee service each morning on the balcony. There is a dispenser in the lobby where you can get a glass of chilled lemon water as you walk to the elevators. That was a nice touch. The location of the resort was great. It was a short walk to Epcot. We took the ferry to Hollywood Studios which took less than 10 minutes. We took the bus to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. We found minimal waiting times for the buses. We enjoyed dinner and the entertainment on the Boardwalk (a short walk or ferry ride across the lagoon) one evening. My daughter spent a couple of stormy afternoon hours at the arcade and had a great time playing the games and meeting other kids staying at the resort. We had dinner one night next door at the Beach Club’s Cape May Café seafood buffet. It was excellent and so much to choose from – shrimp, crab legs, salmon, pasta and meat dishes. The ice cream at Beaches and Cream is worth the splurge – so delicious. The store at the resort has everything you might want – including a swim suit for my daughter who wanted one last swim before we left. The Marketplace in Beach Club offers all the store in Yacht Club has plus food to go – like freshly prepared hot pizzas, sandwiches and salads. Looking forward to staying here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank bcnj
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Best location! You are able to walk to Epcot and walk or take a boat ride to Hollywood Studios. Great accommodations, cast members are extremely courtious and helpful. Had a room far from the elevator with a balcony which overlooked the boardwalk. Great pool, enjoyed the lazy river.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SkateGirl314
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our view of the lagoon from our lagoon view room was beautiful from our balcony, but there is no longer a view of the Epcot fireworks from any of the rooms at this hotel as the trees have grown tall and obscure that view. This is a very nice hotel, however, and very convenient to Epcot. The bed was very comfortable and the staff was courteous and helpful. The concierge desk is well staffed so that you don't spend vacation time waiting for assistance. We were awakened very early in the mroning by a baby we could hear crying for an hour in the room next door. That wasn't good.

Room Tip: Choose an odd numbered room with a lagoon view on the 3rd or 4th floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cocoa120141094
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel is ideally located within walking distance to EPCOT, the Disney Studios, and the Boardwalk. The rooms are very comfortable the pool is fantastic and the quiet pollo in the back is great at night This is an excellent place to stay for adults

Room Tip: Go for the lake view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ignatsz
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Still the best located place to stay in the mighty Disney Kingdom, staff are superb, area is brilliant.
Mickey had better get busy with the pixie dust and paint soon though. The hotel is looking tired and scruffy with badly chipped surfaces, dirty elevators and grotty carpet.

Get busy Mickey or lose guests

Room Tip: Lagoon or pool view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank TonyCav343
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I was hesitant to write this review as our trip to Orlando and our stay at the Yacht Club Resort took place last November. However, after reading the recent reviews, I feel compelled to add my comments lest another couple or family have a miserable experience such as we did. Forewarned is forearmed.
In early November 2013, my husband and I looked forward to a week’s stay to celebrate our anniversary. We were so excited to check in to the Yacht Club Resort. Our family has enjoyed ten visits to Disney World since 1996, and we always stayed at the Beach Club Resort. After reading the less than stellar reviews, my husband and I opted to try the Yacht Club as we always thought it was a bit more upscale than the Beach Club. It turns out, that assessment may have been correct in years past but the years have been tough on the Yacht Club. The first room we were assigned was a ground floor room and immediately upon opening the door we were hit with a strong, almost overpowering smell of mildew/mold. This had never been the case on any of our previous ten visits. In fact, I recall a clean room smell that was almost floral and spicy. We immediately requested another room. And then another. And then another. Yes, we had to check into 4 rooms before we found one on the third floor that was only mildly moldy smelling. I might add that after going through four rooms, we were hesitant to ask for another at the risk of being labeled too picky. However, no one is too picky when it comes to one’s own health and there is no reason to stay in an expensive room that smells so strong of mildew/mold that sneezing ensues.
In addition to the crazy odor, our last and final room had the creepiest feeling carpet that obviously needed to be shampooed. It almost felt wet it was so grimy. Also, the bathroom shower curtain rod was rusty, one of the ship’s wheel lamps on the wall did not work, and there was black mold in the corners on the bathroom floor as well as mildew on the window panes. And one of the rooms we were assigned had a huge missing paint spot on the door. I would consider none of the rooms ship shape.
All in all, our stay was just a major let down. We feel we want a do over, but our anniversary has come and gone. I trust Disney will heed some of the negative reviews and invest in maintaining or updating their property so loyal guests can once again book a room at the Yacht Club Resort and know they will have a fabulous stay. Please hurry before the Yacht Club sinks.

Room Tip: Try for a third or fourth floor room. Avoid first floor rooms with walkout balconies.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple