“Unprofessional waiters-Grand Floridian Restaurant”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This is our second time staying at the Grand Floridian. The property is beautiful and the rooms average for the price. The towels are abundant as well as the toiletries. The bed pillows are the size of postage stamps, need to be larger.

Our issue this time was the wait staff in the Grand Floridian Cafe. On our first day, we stopped in for lunch. The minute we sat down a waiter came over to complain about the messy table left next to us. He went on to describe the country they were from and how difficult they were. He announced this in front of 3-4 tables. Two days later he came over to update us on his $3.00 tip from that table. He was not even our waiter either time! So very unprofessional & UN-DISNEY! Our waiter was very slow and seemed confused most of the time. He disappeared for long periods of time.

I have to say, Disney service in general has dropped in the last 10 years. This includes the parks.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank maryann b
Write a ReviewReviews (4,512)

Reviewed 6 June 2012

I am going to provide a different review being a teen. I had a blast with my parents and younger brother. We stayed in a theme park view room. Upon check-in we were put in a "dormer room". Avoid them! The balcony had room for a max of 2 people and the room itself was small. However we went to the lobby and asked for a room change. They were very apologetic and attentive. We were put in another room and were very satisfied, it had a bigger balcony and room then the rest. The hotel doesn't offer incredible views but still awesome ones. We rent a car at the airport and find it easier that Disney transport. We did enjoy the monorail at the hotel. This hotel is very nice and the slide and pool are sick! We try to stay at a different resort everytime we come but we would come back. The people there were very helpful in printing our plane tickets home. It's a teen's paradise, the rents enjoyed it too

Room Tip: "Dormer rooms" on the top floor are smaller
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank TylerTeen
Reviewed 5 June 2012

The rooms were dingy and needed to be done over. We also stayed in three different rooms over two nights due to mechanical malfunctions(toilet overflowed and day bed did not work) in the first two rooms. This ruined our stay due to the mechanical malfunction stopped my 3 children under 6 from napping both days. The always poor Disney service shinned through. The bellmen that moved our luggage three time was the only one who really expressed any compassion for our situation by not accepting tips for our last two moves.
The karma part of the trip was when we were waiting at the tram terminal to the Poly and the general manager asked my 4 year old son what he remembered most about his 1st time at Disney = "You made my grandmother cry and I missed my naps". It was awesome he was mortified and we got on our tram and went to breakfast and other patrons felt so bad for us for the whole tram ride but the GM was speechless and did nothing.
Pool area was great, kids had a good time and it was nice to be able to shower before we got on the plane to go home.We had a late flight and checked out but stayed many hours after check out. good room size for a family of 5.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the boat dock if the Magic Kingdom is your primary destination. It is farth...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2012

The Floridian was a great location for Disney world which is the reason we chose it. We only had a four night stay, so wanted to be as close as possible to the action. I actually chose the Floridian over the other hotels because of all the positive comments it had on Tripadvisor. There were some great aspects to being at the Floridian, early access to Disneyworld, great transport to and from the resort, a convenient diner to have late night snacks, you can chose the ferry or the monorail to get to Disneyworld, which the kids loved, great kids pool and also wonderful movies in the evening for the kids to enjoy around the pool. There were a few downsides to the hotel though....the room was a bit outdated and extremely small for our needs. We wanted to upgrade, but all rooms were booked up. There was construction going on around the pool area while we were there. Everything in the hotel comes at Disney prices. We were totally prepared for this but you feel a bit stuck because once you are on the resort, you never really get to go out into the 'real' world. We wanted to buy some bits for the fridge from the outside world but never got around to it. So my advice would be to try and stock up on snacks for the room before you get to the resort, especially if you have kids with you and make the effort to go out of the resort to eat in a restaurant because restaurants in the resorts become extremely packed and you have to book in advance to guarantee a seating. Overall the hotel was amazing. Staff were friendly, and they always gave you great bits of advice, the food in the restaurant was great and catered to dietary requirements. Out of all the resort hotels I think that this one is worth booking......so you can get the whole Disney experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bikinilondon
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My family just returned yesterday from a 6 night stay at the Grand and were amazed by place! As you enter you smell beautiful aroma and fresh flowers, you feel like a princess. We stayed in the conch building which was right next to the boat launch, very convient and a great place to watch the fireworks and boat show at night. Another great spot to watch the fireworks is on the casprilla grill and games patio seating. The rooms are beautiful and very clean the beds are very comfortable. I would stay here again but next time just buy maybe four days at the parks that way i have more time to enjoy the resort. I loved how the resort restaurants will fit you in even if u don't have a reservation of course that's different at the parks, I recommend making reservations in advance if u want to eat at a nice restaurant at the parks. We had the deluxe dinning plan, which is great because everyday we were have a character breakfast or dinner and eating at the fancy restaurants. I highly recommend Le Cellar at Epcot Canada best steak ever!! The best breakfast I had was at Hollywood Studios at Hollywood and Vine.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank MelissaA83
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We just returned from a quick three night stay at the Grand Floridian Resort and it was wonderful. We had a room in the main building and the cast members were excellent. The food in the lounge was good but very similar to my last visit I wish they would change it up more. There is construction going on by the beach pool and the spa is closed so we did not spend any time at that pool. Kelly from Travel with the Magic got us a great rate, made all my dining reservations, and gave me some wonderful tips about the Grand. We used the boat to get back and forth to the Magic Kingdom and that was quicker than the monorail especially going back to the Grand Floridian. The room was clean and the mouse keeping was wonderful. I love the towel animals and the the H20 toiletries you can get full sizes downstairs in the store. I have stayed at many of the Disney resorts and the Grand really is the best. I cant wait to go back for the Holidays!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Alicnwondrln
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I am finally back from my trip to Disney World. I stayed Memorial Day weekend at the GF and really enjoyed my time there. This was my first time staying at a resort on the monorail so I was reading reviews on here months in advance and really anticipating this trip! I had stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort last year and visited Citricos for dinner. I was in awe upon first entering the grand lobby. I am a young guy but there's just something about hearing the band and pianist play during the evening hours(They start at 3 and stop around 10pm) that really puts a smile on my face. The hotel really does take you back in time to the Victorian days! It's a very relaxing and peaceful experience.

So I will start from the beginning. I pulled up to the security gate and they do ask you for your last name and ID before letting you through. I pulled up to the circle and was immediately greeted by the bell and valet staff. I chose to self park vs the valet service which is a daily fee of $10. They took my luggage and gave me a retrieval tag. I then walked past what looked to be a manger who greeted me with a hello before I entered the gorgeous lobby. I had selected the online check-in service to cut down on time.

This was a bit of a grueling experience. The room was not ready and the receptionist was having some difficulties with making me new KTTW cards. She did, however, have an "earning my ears" ribbon on her name tag (I'm not mentioning her name because it was not her fault that she wasn't trained properly) so I cut her some slack. While she was doing something on the computer, I had asked her if I could be in Boca Chica but she ended up putting me in Sago Cay which was no big deal but she put me right next to the elevator on the second floor.

She asked if I needed a bellman and called their desk but no one answered. I guess they were busy but it's quite ridiculous to wait 5 mins for a bellman to assist you. I told her forget it we will walk the grounds and find the building ourselves.

The rooms are larger than a moderate room at Disney. and include a nice balcony and day bed. The furniture is quite dated for a place that charges nearly $400 a night. Disney finally got more TV channels which was nice but they look horrendous on the HD flat screens since Disney isn't supplying HD feeds. If you look down upon entering Sago you will notice the ugly tiling from the 80's. Again, this place needs a major renovation. The walls are also quite thin so you can hear the other person in the next room. I also had an adjoining room so that may have contributed to the noise factor.

Naturally the first thing you want to do when you get settled is go to the theme parks but by that time I was ready for a dip. The resort has two pools. A main pool & smaller zero entry pool with a slide & waterfall. I will also point out that the zero entry also had a chair lift for those who are handicapped. I mainly went to the main pool with the jacuzzi. The jacuzzi is quite large and crowded most of the time with lots of kids so go early in the morning for a nice peaceful dip. The pool area is again very dated. The tiling is 20 + years old and looks like it's going to break off at some point. I'm not sure what Disney is waiting for. There's countless reviews on here stating that Disney really needs to put some money into this place. I also want to point out that the hours of the pools have changed. It is no longer 24 hours. The pools close at 11 which is ridiculous since many of the theme parks remain open for extra magic hours and most people don't get back to the hotel until 1am. Another thing I'd like to mention is that they play a movie late in the night so you can swim in the pool and enjoy a nice Disney flick. There's an itinerary in the room listing what movies play each night. It turns out that the movies listed are never actually playing. So I wasn't too happy when I made the trip back from Epcot to watch Toy Story 3 when they were playing something else instead. The same thing happened the following evening when Tangled was scheduled.

I had a late night snack at Gasparilla's. The sandwich was made to order and tasted all right for a quick service meal. The breakfast is also quite good. They have a grand breakfast where you get 1 serving of everything or can double up on some Mickey waffles. A hidden gem is definitely the fitness center located past the construction. Ah yes, I forgot to mention the construction. I will get to that in the moment.

If Disney spent half the time, effort and money they did on the fitness center as they did the rooms, this place would be 5 stars! I didn't have much time to utilize it but everything is brand new equipment with everything you need to get in a good workout.

Now back to the construction. This phase is going to go on for sometime and at least 3/4 of the beach is blocked off due to the new DVC building that is going up. There are barricades around the zero entry pool and all along the path going to the Spa, Wedding pavilion, and eventually the Polynesian. The crane is also not the greatest sight in the world either. Noise, however, was minimal. I was never bothered by any of the construction except for the groundsman blowing leaves outside my balcony at 8am. The grounds are remarkably kept clean.

I'm going to wrap up my review since it is getting long but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. Is the Grand Floridian nice? Absolutely! Would I stay here again? I'm currently planning a trip in December. The GF is very expensive and some will argue a bit too expensive for what you get which is, I'm sorry to say, an outdated resort. However, being on the monorail saves you a lot of time if you plan to go to Magic Kingdom. I would suggest taking a car to Hollywood studios to save time because the buses are really hit or miss. I waited an hour for one on one of the days!

The final plus is that you can also see the fireworks from the boat launch area. They plug in the audio so you can enjoy exactly how it is in the park minus the crowds. I would give the Grand Floridian a 5 but until they put some more money into their "flagship resort"..I'm giving it a 4.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family