“Great for business or pleasure!”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
“Great for business or pleasure!”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I stayed here recently for a business conference so that part was not ideal but the property itself was terrific. At a hotel this large I think it is hard to pull off incredible service but these guys did it. The food during our conference was terrific and even creative, the grounds were beautifully done for Christmas time, the gym was great, and the staff was, well in a word, happy! I sent out a tweet when I was there that I will repeat in this review; "If everyone had the attitude of the staff at the Grand Floridian Hotel, the world would be a much better place." For business or pleasure I encourage you to visit the Grand Floridian.

Room Tip: It is a large property so if you don't like to walk you might request something close to the mai...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mark Q

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (950)
  • Turkish first
Greendale, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 December 2013

The Grand Floridian has always been the jewel of Disney's monorail resorts. Elegant and beautiful. We were able to stay at the brand new wing, the DVC addition 2 weeks after opening. Rooms are the same size and layout of any other DVC property and with the undertones of Mary Poppins we found the stay nice and glad we had the opportunity.
However, because of the space around the monorail, visitors will find themselves taking a nice walk each night to the monorail or bus station. The food court is also fairly distant .
You can't beat the room views of the castle or 7 seas lagoon. Points are considerably higher, which we struggle with, was it worth it? Our preference is still Wilderness Lodge or Boardwalk depending on the focus of the vacation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Vickie11361
Waldorf, Maryland
Reviewed 20 December 2013

First and foremost... the perks of having a cast member are terrific and my stay at the Grand Floridian was 60% off the bottom line. YES!!!!

On my bucket list was to stay at the Grand Floridian during the Christmas season to see the decorations and I accomplished just that! The Grand Floridian is just amazingly GRAND!

We stayed in Room 9439 and our room overlooked a view of the Polynesian/Disney's Wedding Pavilion and we were able to hear and see the Light Parade on the Lagoon every night!!!

The building we were in (Big Pine Key) was very close to the main building for check in, right next to the pool, and near the quick service (short walk).
What I Liked:
The look and feel of the elegance of the 1900's
Spacious Room w/balcany
Comfortable beds and pillows
Nice roomy bathroom area, tub and shower were great.
Clean room, smelled great
Bed turn down service w/chocolate every night
Relaxing robes to use during your stay
Beautiful grounds
Gorgeous decorations for Christmas
Not a huge resort, so you are not walking very far to the quick service, etc.
Orchestra and piano every night and day in the atrium lobby area with lots of seating areas to look at the Christmas tree and smell the gingerbread house.

What I didn't like:
I loved everything! There was nothing to NOT like about the Grand Floridian, Disney at its finest

If you do anything, I would recommend visiting and/or stay at the Grand Floridian during the Christmas season (early in December is the best time). The live size gingerbread house is done; they sell candy and goodies out of the gingerbread house. The enormous Christmas tree in the atrium is beautiful, as are all of the decorations in and around the grounds.

If you can’t go to the Magic Kingdom, there is a view of the Magic Kingdom Cinderella's Castle from outside of the Quick Service to watch the fireworks, but you don't hear the music. If you want to view the fireworks and hear the music, stroll to the Polynesian (yes, you can walk there), and go to that beach area to hear and see the fireworks.

During Christmas Time -- Make sure to
Visit the spa on the grounds of the Grand Floridian, it's worth it!
Visit some of the other resorts just to see the decorations
Go to Hollywood’s Studios to see the Dancing Osborne Christmas Lights
Make sure to have a dinner at the Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios
Pin Trade -- it’s fun! Any cast member has to trade -- it’s fun to see what each family member comes back with

Room Tip: Any room in this resort is a good room, they all make you feel like you are stepping into the early...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank klocco1
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed at this resort for the second time back in October (the first time having been way back in 1998). Both prior to this recent stay at the Grand Floridian, and since then, I have stayed at many other Disney resorts, and I just can't get over the prices that they charge for the 'monorail resorts'. Is it nice being so close to the Magic Kingdom when you have kids with you? Absolutely. This time my entire immediate family went to Disney, including my 7- and 2-year-old nieces and my 4-year-old nephew, and for their sake alone it was amazing being right next to MK.

Unfortunately, the bus situation leaves a lot to be desired. I'm sorry, but when rack rates for these rooms are around $700/night on average (once taxes etc. are added in; we didn't stay during official 'low' season but it wasn't 'high' season either) I really think that the 'monorail resorts' should have their own buses. Sure, the Grand Floridian was the last stop on the bus route, which was great for getting *to* the other parks - but coming back from them? Forget it. It literally took me 40 minutes to get back to the hotel from Hollywood Studios one day (it was a Thursday afternoon and I got on the bus at 3:23 PM and didn't arrive back at the hotel until 4:06 PM - yes, I timed it).

Our rooms were in building 9 and were 'water view', but again we were disappointed. We had a view of the water, yes, but it was of a dirty-looking little lagoon. The elevators in the building were slow and showing their age, and when I tried to take the outside stairs my key card (which worked for the room) wouldn't let me into the building. I don't even want to get into the issues we had with the magic bands, but I suppose as they are still being 'tested' and we did have three separate rooms with so many people, there were bound to be problems for some of us.

Employees were always friendly and everything was, as usual, spotlessly clean. Beds and bedding were very comfortable and it was great to finally stay in a hotel room (seriously, for the first time in a while) that had proper climate control. The 24-hour snack bar was awesome as well. Though the menu is limited late at night, it was really great being able to get a pizza at 2 AM after a long day in the parks.

I find it funny that people say the decor is 'dated' because it's themed to the Victorian era...it's *supposed* to be 'dated'. All in all, the Grand is a beautiful hotel, but every time I go back to Disney (and I visit there a LOT) I feel like they are price gouging more and more, and even a month and a half later I'm still in a bit of shock over how much we paid for these rooms when compared to what we actually GOT for that amount of money. (Seriously, I can get a two bedroom, two and a half bath suite in a gorgeous hotel on the Strip in Vegas - on a weekend, no less - for the same amount of money that one room cost at the Grand Floridian.)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank ageeksaga
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed at the Grand Floridian for a night for a birthday celebration and after reading some of these reviews I was a little nervous. First of all, the property is absolutely beautiful. And for all the people who say that the rooms/furnishings are dated, you have to understand that the theme of the hotel is Victorian-golden-age-of-Florida, so there's lots of florals, four-poster beds, etc.

We arrived around noon and were fairly confident the room wouldn't be ready but much to our surprise there was one available for us. Kasia from Poland was very accommodating and fulfilled all our requests. We were able to switch from two queens to a king bed in Sago Cay and the room itself was amazing.

No complaints at all. The room was quiet (except for the booms of Wishes around 9pm) and the turndown service was an added bonus.

We will definitely be back... the room however was very expensive even with the discount we received, so it's only going to be a special occasion place for us.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matt W
Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Three generation girls trip to visit Disney at Christmas time... It did not disappoint! I always wanted to stay at the grand Floridian due to its beauty and grandeur from viewing it from afar. We had the opportunity for our one night stay on Sunday, December 8th. We had booked a basic garden view room back in August at a decent rate. I had started planning our trip via MyDisneyExperience app and our magic bands were ordered, customized and shipped well in advance. Everything online was very convenient and helpful. I completed the online check in one day prior to our stay and was able to make 2 requests for our room. After reading reviews I choose Conch Key and a dormer room with an early check in request. Day of stay we arrived at 8:30 am and went to activate our magic bands and complete check in. Check in was SLOW to say the least but we ended up getting both our room requests. We were in room 7428 which was a dormer room with magnificently high cathedral ceilings, 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa and the best of all- a perfect view of the magic kingdom! What a surprise to see that as I previously stated we paid for a garden view room only. Yes- the balcony was small... It fit 2 of us comfortably. Seats on balcony were raised and allowed for beautiful lagoon views and of course the magic kingdom castle as well as monorail to the left. Rooms were spacious compared to the moderate hotel rooms, also had large closet, double vanities with lots of counter space for three girls and all of our cosmetics! Regular toilet with tub/shower combo behind closed door. We all were very pleased with the size, comfort, cleanliness and decor of the room. We had a delicious room service breakfast in the morning that was affordably priced ( for Disney) and had plenty of food. Magic bands worked great and were very convenient. Just an FYI: main doors to the out buildings lock at a certain time and magic bands will not open the doors... Only the traditional room keys will so carry them with you as well if you will be out late. We had not one complaint the whole time. I can't wait to go back for another magical stay!

Room Tip: Dormer rooms have beautiful high ceilings and feels so much more spacious and luxurious.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Krista M
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Wife and I planned an anniversary weekend at Disney and chose the Grand Floridian. They won't guarantee a King bed but reservationist assured me she would speak to Mgr and our anniversary request would be honored. Got to check in and not only did they not have a king, they had no record of request. Disney also has new electronic wristbands that are supposed to open room and allow charges. Problems all weekend. The colored ones we ordered ahead had to be replaced with plain black ones. My wife's never worked. This is our 2nd stay and same type irritating issues each time. GF is a beautiful property but too many issues for the price.

• Stayed December 2013