I was a little reluctant, as a solo traveler, to book a Disney property hotel. Lets face it, no matter where you go in Disney World you are going to be dealing with loads of kids, but did I really want to deal with them at my hotel as well? But I was in Disney World for the Princess Half Marathon and the advantages to being in a Disney property outweighed my concerns, as as it ends up this was an excellent choice. Many many great things about this property, the main one to me being it is very small as Disney World Resorts go. Getting from my room to the shuttles, the pool, the dock for the river boat, was a very short walk. The best way to describe how small it is - they only need one bus stop for the resort/theme park buses. The room was very comfortable - I had a Riverview room with two queen beds. There were no King rooms available when I made my reservation and the King rooms cost more anyway.
The rooms all have refrigerators which is very nice. The "closet" was just a hanging rod along the vanity area of the bathroom, but there were plenty of hangers. There is a large chest of drawers. The bathtub was nice for soaking after the half marathon or just a day of running around theme parks. The water pressure in my shower wasn't all that great but was hot and good enough.
There is a bar/jazz club and one cafeteria style restaurant on the property - one of the downsides of the size of the property was the limited eating choices. But there are more restaurants at the adjoining Riverview property which is a short walk down the riverside path. Also you can grab the riverboat from the dock at the property and take it to Riverview or to Downtown Disney where many many restaurants await. I only had lunch and grabbed an order of beignets from the food court, both of which were very good but the service is PAINFULLY slow. They only have one person at each food station who takes your order, then makes your order. Nice that nothing is premade but at lunch time it can take 20 minutes to get your sandwich. In the morning plan on a very long line for the beignets.
Since its a small property it only has one pool - there is no "quiet pool" that you will find at many of the larger properties. There is a water slide in the pool and it seemed pretty good sized. Even though it was warm there weren't a lot of people using the pool.
There WERE a lot of people in the jacuzzi - particularly after the half marathon. One of the main benefits of this property as far as I was concerned. I was surprised how many of the reasonable and moderate properties did not have a jacuzzi.
The bus service is for the most part excellent. When you are picked up you are taken directly to whatever park you are heading to. When you return, the bus is only going to the two Port Orleans properties, and the French Quarter is always the first drop off. I rarely had to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus at either the hotel or the theme parks. The exception was at Hollywood where a bus pulled up to drop off people then left without taking on passengers. We waited a full 45 minutes for a bus and would probably have been there longer if we hadn't gone up to every other bus that pulled up and asked them to tell the dispatcher how long we had waited.
The staff was extremely friendly and extremely helpful. Right after I checked out I realized I had left my Ipad on the bed in my room. A cast member called all over walked back to the building with me and helped me find the housekeeper who had cleaned the room already and pick it up.
Disney World isn't a trip I would make frequently but if I have occasion to be going there again I will definitely stay here again
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Revel in the romance and pageantry of New Orleans's historic French Quarter at this Resort hotel, where cobblestone streets, gas lamps, wrought-iron balconies and fragrant magnolia blossoms evoke the Antebellum era and colorful Mardi Gras characters and jazz keep things lively. Then stroll along the Sassagoula River to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside, home to Cajun and Creole specialties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Alpha Holidays Limited, Expedia, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney Port Orleans Resort
- Port Orleans French Quarter
- Port Orleans Orlando
- Disney Port Orleans French Quarter
- Disney Port Orleans Hotel
- Disneys Port Orleans Resort French Quarter
- Port Orleans Disney
- Disneys Port Orleans Hotel
- Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter Orlando, Florida