“So many advantages to this Disney property”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #59 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I was a little reluctant, as a solo traveler, to book a Disney property hotel. Lets face it, no matter where you go in Disney World you are going to be dealing with loads of kids, but did I really want to deal with them at my hotel as well? But I was in Disney World for the Princess Half Marathon and the advantages to being in a Disney property outweighed my concerns, as as it ends up this was an excellent choice. Many many great things about this property, the main one to me being it is very small as Disney World Resorts go. Getting from my room to the shuttles, the pool, the dock for the river boat, was a very short walk. The best way to describe how small it is - they only need one bus stop for the resort/theme park buses. The room was very comfortable - I had a Riverview room with two queen beds. There were no King rooms available when I made my reservation and the King rooms cost more anyway.

The rooms all have refrigerators which is very nice. The "closet" was just a hanging rod along the vanity area of the bathroom, but there were plenty of hangers. There is a large chest of drawers. The bathtub was nice for soaking after the half marathon or just a day of running around theme parks. The water pressure in my shower wasn't all that great but was hot and good enough.

There is a bar/jazz club and one cafeteria style restaurant on the property - one of the downsides of the size of the property was the limited eating choices. But there are more restaurants at the adjoining Riverview property which is a short walk down the riverside path. Also you can grab the riverboat from the dock at the property and take it to Riverview or to Downtown Disney where many many restaurants await. I only had lunch and grabbed an order of beignets from the food court, both of which were very good but the service is PAINFULLY slow. They only have one person at each food station who takes your order, then makes your order. Nice that nothing is premade but at lunch time it can take 20 minutes to get your sandwich. In the morning plan on a very long line for the beignets.

Since its a small property it only has one pool - there is no "quiet pool" that you will find at many of the larger properties. There is a water slide in the pool and it seemed pretty good sized. Even though it was warm there weren't a lot of people using the pool.

There WERE a lot of people in the jacuzzi - particularly after the half marathon. One of the main benefits of this property as far as I was concerned. I was surprised how many of the reasonable and moderate properties did not have a jacuzzi.

The bus service is for the most part excellent. When you are picked up you are taken directly to whatever park you are heading to. When you return, the bus is only going to the two Port Orleans properties, and the French Quarter is always the first drop off. I rarely had to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus at either the hotel or the theme parks. The exception was at Hollywood where a bus pulled up to drop off people then left without taking on passengers. We waited a full 45 minutes for a bus and would probably have been there longer if we hadn't gone up to every other bus that pulled up and asked them to tell the dispatcher how long we had waited.

The staff was extremely friendly and extremely helpful. Right after I checked out I realized I had left my Ipad on the bed in my room. A cast member called all over walked back to the building with me and helped me find the housekeeper who had cleaned the room already and pick it up.

Disney World isn't a trip I would make frequently but if I have occasion to be going there again I will definitely stay here again

Room Tip: The river view rooms have a nice view. Rooms by the pool are more centrally located but would seem t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank Dianeinla

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights and 5 days and Disney knows how to treat there guests. The rooms were nice and clean, good sized and the bathroom with the double vanity was really nice. The only problem was we found a few hairs on the ceiling around the fan, and the house keeping was ok but did not wow me. There were some nice touches such as mickey towels, and animal towels, and a picture of Mickey Mouse. The rooms also had queen beds which was nice. Not all resorts at disney have queen beds. The pool was nice and comfortable lots of towels, and not busy, and during the day they have activites for the kids which is nice. The food at the resort was amazing, large portions and fast service. If you like drinks the bar area was nice and live entertainment weds-sat. Drinks are expensive so bring your own, that way you can save a little.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank captainfunk
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Ok, All of Disney's resorts and properties are really nice, but we fell in love with the ambiance of these grounds. The rooms were really nice, ultra modern, and clean. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The theme is supposed to be Mardi Gras related, but honestly it gives off a really nice southern comfort/Big Easy/New Orleans feel. We loved the manicured grounds and the wrought iron work that is abundant throughout. The restaurants were exceptional. The shuttle buses arrived frequently, and there is even a riverboat ferry that will transport you to Downtown Disney (the only of it's kind in the Disney World Resort). Disney lists it as a "Moderate" price resort, and it really is a gorgeous relaxing property in that price range. When I'm in Disney, I know that I will spend only a limited amount of time in the hotel room, but I still want somewhere nice to lay my head at night. This is the place!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Im-Batman1971
Reviewed 10 March 2013

As parents of older children, we needed a resort that wasn't too kid oriented, but that still had the amenities a pre-teen and teen would enjoy, like a pool, and a good restaurant, when we were not at the parks. French Quarter met and exceeded our expectations. With good size rooms, queen beds, double sinks, and a huge pool with a water slide, movie nights on the green, and bonfires with unlimited roasted marshmallows, the kids never were bored. The food was excellent, and the fact that on weekends, we could go to the bar at night, leaving the kids in good hands, and have a drink or two while listening to live music, was perfect. The atmosphere is magical, the scent of beignets in the morning, and jazz wafting through the air, with boats taking you to Downtown Disney on a whim, and curbside shuttles to all the parks, FQ was ideal in every single way, for our week long stay. My ONLY 'gripe', if you can even call it that, is the limited use of the jacuzzi, for adults, because it was open to children too, and my husband and I often tried to get a soak in after a long day walking around, only to find it full of young kids. If they made one separate for adults only, I think it would be awesome and welcome, for tired parents, to slip away for a little bit, from the hubbub. Other than that, staying here is a trip we won't forget, ever. It's beautiful. We fell in love.

Room Tip: Pick garden view rooms for easy access to everything on property, buildings 4-7 are perfect, and fro...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Yogadragon
Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

More intimate than the riverside. 3rd floor balcony room in building 1 was just fine. Clean and relatively quiet. Pool was clean and slides were fun. Not overcrowded. Food in restaurant was surprisingly good and there are many no. Fried food options.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank DCHotelSnobs
Reviewed 9 March 2013

This is a quiet little resort and super convenient to the food court, the transportation and pool from any room. The resort is laid out like streets/town squares with cobblestone streets and is well themed, true to Disney style. That being said, my girls felt like the FQ was "not very Disney." For first timers or young and young at heart that want to feel immersed in Disney, I wouldn't recommend this resort. However, its a great resort (my husband and I liked it a lot); the rooms with queen sized beds and a dressing area with curtain and double sinks make for a comfortable stay. Although we had a standard, parking lot view, we didn't overlook the cars; there's a grassy, park like area in-between the lot and the rooms. A corner room is nice because there are more windows. Although there were loud street cleaners outside our room, we couldn't hear them once in the room, so the rooms are well soundproofed. Bathrooms are tiny but fine and they provide H20 products. The bus service was quick; we never waited longer than ten minutes. Only once out of our 6 days did the bus stop at all four stops at Riverside before going to the parks. The ferry to downtown Disney is nice and relaxing. There weren't many kids at this resort compared to other Disney resorts. We walked to the BEAUTIFUL Riverside along the path by the river and it was crawling with kids, was very lively and looked like a much more fun place to stay for kids....but it is SPRAWLING. IMHO, the French Quarter is a great for couples, families with very young children for the convenience and pool, and people with mobility issues. For first timers, I recommend the Art of Animation, or if budget allows, the Polynesian.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank yogimomma
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Spent four days at Port Orleans French Quarter ( a moderate Resort) at Disneyworld. Had a wonderful time! Resort was quiet and quaint. We had a room on the 3rd fl. Bldg #7, Riverview. Room overlooked the river, and a 3-5 minute walk on path to sister resort Port Orleans. Mardi Gras parade was going on during our stay. Weather was the best ever, 75-80 degrees. I tool that opportunity to sit by the pool every afternoon. Very quiet. I love the streets and the gardens. The fountains are beautiful. plenty of benches to sit and read. Everyone was very friendly and our room was always cleaned beautifully The one drawback was that the maid didn't get to our room until 1or 2 O'clock. Other than that everything was wonderful. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a quiet spot. Plus, you can take a boat to Downtown Disney instead of a bus.

Room Tip: Ask for Building 7, which is the last bldg. on the resort overlooking the river. We had a corner ro...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple