“Great stay, lots of activities...smaller resort (which we enjoyed)”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #58 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We had a great time at Port Orleans. It is a smaller resort and we really enjoyed having the quiet. The room looked newer and was tastefully decorated. We really liked how the toilet/shower was section off from the sink and dressing area (we were able to get more people showered and dressed quickly this way). The wi-fi had strong service as well. We were in Building 7 on the 3rd floor. I thought this may be a problem as it is one of the buildings farthest away but it looks deceiving from the map. It only took us maybe 5 minutes to walk from our building to the pools and main building. The pool area was usually clean and during the day there are always pool activities going on. Everyone was really nice while we were there and wanted to accommodate our every need. At night there was a campfire and then a movie and it was a nice way to relax and unwind (my 5 year old usually fell asleep during the movie).
The resort is about a 10 minutes walk to Riverside (which is much larger). It was nice to have a change of scenary and use their pool and we rented a surrey bike (which we had a blast one).
The only problem we had was with housekeeping. They kept moving things and we were unable to find one of our cell phone charges. We called down to the front desk and they had one for us within an hour. They were also quick when we needed more towels and pillows.
I am glad we decided to choose a moderate resort instead one of the basic/economy ones. We would probably stay here again but would like to try a different resort next time (not Riverside, way too busy for us).
FYI...there is no fitness center on site...maybe it is because you walk so much at Disney they don't think you need one.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 7 and liked being a little farther away from the pool and main building. It...
6  Thank Amanda G

Reviewed 10 June 2014

LOVE THIS RESORT! The food court is great and never super busy, cute store, nice pool, nice and VERY clean rooms. I suggest a room in building 2, 4 or 5 to be close to the pool and food court. We had a pool view so it was sometimes loud late at night and in the mornings so I suggest a garden or river view. I like how everything is close unlike some of the other resorts where there can be a lot of walking. Buses look 5-10 minutes every time we waiting and most of the times we had to pick up or drop off at Riverside so that was a pain especially after a long day on the parks and we had to stop at all 4 bus stops at Riverside before getting home to French Quarter. During busier seasons you won't have to deal with this. We also sometimes had to pick up or drop off at Typhoon Lagoon. So, it you are counting on the motor coach, get there early (up to an hour before the parks open) so you can can on a bus in case you have to pick up at Riverside. Don't be in a hurry if you are leaving the parks after closing because it will take you some time to get back to your room. We never had this problem when we stayed at Pop Century, Riverside, Caribbean Beach or All Star Music. I guess because it is a smaller resort they share before the busy summer season even though there was a lot of people staying at the resort and using the bus service. If you have older kids, they make not like the slide. My daughter loves the slide at Riverside, French Quarter, not so much. We had to go to the pool at Riverside one day because the one at French Quarter is "boring". If you have little kids it should be fine but if they are older, the slide is nothing to be thrilled about. It is too bad because the pool is really cool and the Sea Serpent looks awesome, especially at night. I highly recommend this resort to anyone. Walking around the grounds at sunset or early in the morning is so beautiful and peaceful. My FAVORITE Disney resort so far!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have stayed at other Disney moderate resorts and found this one to be quite nice. I love the fact that everything on the complex is pretty close in proximity. If you have ever stayed at a moderate resort you know that you have a pretty good chance that you are going to have to walk a good 5-10 minutes to get to all the places on the resort. This was not the case with Port Orleans French Quarter. The down side to this resort was that the rooms were just average. There was nothing special about any of them here. If you left a note or asked for anything the housekeepers would leave it for you. Another benefit to staying at a smaller moderate resort is that the lines for the buses and the frequency of the buses to go to the parks were great. My family did not wait for more than 10 minuets for a bus to arrive. We also had a scooter, and there was only one time that we had more than one person with a scooter get on the same bus with us. I would definitely stay at this resort again. If you have mobility issues and want a resort with everything very close this is it. Also, the bar in the lobby was nice. The bartender makes some slamming drinks!

Room Tip: Great for people with mobility issues. Building Two was in a decent location to the boat dock, lobb...
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We are Disney fanatics that visit at least once a year and sometimes more. French Quarter is our favorite Disney moderate resort because of it's size. It is much smaller than most of the Disney properties so you don't feel like you are still standing in line in the park when you are at the hotel. The rooms were renovated a few years ago and it is one of the few moderate hotels which has queen size beds as most have only doubles. The pool is very nice and the food court is not overwelming like some of the larger hotels. The cobble stone street and horse drawn carriages are a nice touch. It almost feels like you really are in New Orleans.

Room Tip: You will pay a little more for rooms on the river but the view is nice.
5  Thank Nancy30342
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed for the 3rd time at POFQ 5/31 - 6/4/14. I have stayed at other Disney resorts and this is our favorite. However, I was sorely disappointed in the service. We did early check in and were told to check our bags in with bell services and when we arrived back to the resort they would bring our bags to the room. We came back and the guys were rude and handed all the luggage to me and my 11 y/o daughter...really??? I lugged it to our room, on the 3rd floor. Day 2 I left a tip for the "mouse" keeper. She cleaned the room and left a towel animal, but left a bottle of cleaner on the side of the bathtub. Since my kids are older it wasn't a big deal but if I had had little ones it would have been a HUGE deal. Day 3 I left a tip and there was no towel animal. Day 4 I forgot to leave the tip and she didn't take the dirty towels. From now on I will only tip the very last day and it will be according to service. We saw other rooms with awesome towel animals, but not ours?!?!?! The majority, not all, of the workers in the restaurant are rude. One of our beds was very squeaky when getting in and out (and I always LOVE Disney beds) What happened to Disney Magic? Most likely I will return to Disney World but I'm not sure I will stay at this resort. If it weren't for the boat ride to Downtown Disney I would definitely not return, but love that ride.

Room Tip: Building 5 is near everything.
1  Thank slccH2010
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here in May for 2 weeks and completely fell in love with it. It's a great size - has a main building with a store, restaurant, bar and reception. It has 5 buildings with rooms, and a big enough swimming pool.
There is a grass area in the centre of the buildings (3 & 4) from what I remember, which plays movies at 9pm everynight. The movies change every night, we definitely enjoyed watching Frozen and Tangled under the stars!!

The rooms were great - properly sized to accommodate the family size.

The rapid refill cups were definitely worth the money - there was a great choice of drinks (dr pepper, coke, lemonade, water, sprite etc) and you could refill it whenever you want.

The food was pretty good (chicken quesadilla and choc chip pancakes with strawberries being our favourites).

Staff were very helpful - especially Toni the man on bell services! Real easy to talk to and did a great Donald Duck impression.

There was shuttle buses from the outside to epcot, magic kingdom etc and a boat ride was available by the pool to downtown disney.

Could not fault this hotel - loved it!

2  Thank Shannon J
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Our stay was great in every way!! The grounds were immaculate and it really had a New Orleans feel to it. Loved the Food Court, the boat to Downtown Disney was a real plus, and the staff was a big help. The rooms were really comfortable and our third floor room in Building Five with a River view was great!!

I did a lot of research to find the right Resort between Value and Premium and we are so glad we chose the French Quarter!! Disregard the low, grumpy reviews, you will Love it Here and we had two teenagers that loved it!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family