Just returned from a 10 night stay at the POFQ and wouldn`t hesitate to return or recommend to family / friends.
We flew Virgin and were able to upgrade our prebooked seats at the airport to extra leg rooms seats at £50pp (though there is no charge for the window one as you do get part of the emergency exit door in your legroom) you can also upgrade to premier `on the day` for £149 pp which is half the price of pre booking this service but is subject to availability.
For this trip we didn`t hire a car but used the Magical Express and Disney transport with great success. On arrival at Orlando Int.airport we made our way straight to the Magical Express pick up counter and collected our onward and return coach `tickets` we decided to take our own luggage with us as we wanted to arrive at the hotel with it and not wait for it to follow us on later, but you can have your luggage tranferred for you.
The check in at the hotel was very efficient and you are given an info.pack.
There is a South Quarter comprising buildings 1-3 and a North Quarter comprising buildings 4-7. We had requested a king size bed but unfortunately none where available but the room does have two doubles. In the room there is a table & chairs, large drawer unit with TV and coffee machine with supplies replenished daily of coffee/sugar/whitener. There is a also a fridge in the room and a padded bench. A tiled area is off the main room with two large hand basins, hanging space for clothes, ironing board and a small safe is in here behind the curtain which is there to divide this area from the room if you so wish. There is a bathroom off the tiled area with bath, over bath shower & a toilet, there is a pull out clothes line over the bath. You get bath/hand soaps and shampoo/conditioner supplied and replaced throughout your stay. The room was clean enough and sheets changed every 3/4 days. Towels seemed to be changed everyday whether you wanted or not!
The resort is small so everything is nearby. There is a good sized pool with water slide open until midnight, there are plenty of sunloungers and tables/chairs and courtesy towels are available. There is also an outdoor hot tub in a shaded garden area, it seats about 8 people and is operated by a button on the wall where the shower is. There is the Mardi Grogs pool bar open 11.30 til dusk.
Between the pool and hot tub is a laundry building with plenty of washers / dryers and soap powder machine. .
There is the Jackson Square gift shop / convenience store, it`s here where you can also collect items bought at the parks which are then delivered here for you usually the following day, saves you carrying things around all day that you buy in the parks, the only exception being any food items.
You have the Scat Cats Club Bar open 4 - 12pm with live music Weds.-Sat. and then there is the Sassagoula food court which has a bakery open from 6am-midnight. Breakfast is served 7-11am. Lunch and dinner 11am-10pm with a limited late night menu after 10pm. There is a good choice of cakes,pizza,pasta,burgers,sandwiches,salads etc. Good value is to buy a drinks cup which you can then refill free from a self service drinks counter.
There is a bus stop A and B at the front of the hotel, the buses run between all the parks approx.every 15mins. You have to expect there are peak times that they will be a bit busy but we found them to be regular and efficient.
You also have the rivercruise at the rear of the hotel, behind the pool area, this operates between the French Quarter / Riverside and Down Town Disney. It makes a pleasant change but they do only hold about 38 people so can fill quickly and takes a little longer than the buses.
We got to Sea World and Universal studios by booking at the reception with a company called Mears, they collect at the hotel using either cabs, mini buses or coaches depending on numbers. I think you can also use the I trolley but you would have to get to Down Town Disney first to catch one?
There is cycle hire available from Riverside and you can take a horse drawn carriage ride which take a route around POFQ & Riverside lasting approx.half an hour which operates between 6 - 9.30pm, I`m unsure on the charges for these.
Anyway, if you`re going I`m sure you will not be disappointed with your choice of resort. We thoroughly enjoyed it!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Revel in the romance and pageantry of New Orleans's historic French Quarter at this Resort hotel, where cobblestone streets, gas lamps, wrought-iron balconies and fragrant magnolia blossoms evoke the Antebellum era and colorful Mardi Gras characters and jazz keep things lively. Then stroll along the Sassagoula River to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside, home to Cajun and Creole specialties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, TravelUp, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney Port Orleans Resort
- Port Orleans French Quarter
- Port Orleans Orlando
- Disney Port Orleans French Quarter
- Disney Port Orleans Hotel
- Disneys Port Orleans Resort French Quarter
- Port Orleans Disney
- Disneys Port Orleans Hotel
- Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter Orlando, Florida