We stayed here on December 16th for one night. While we did not get a renovated room (I've heard that they should have them all renovated by April or May 2011), we did have a lovely room in Building 2 not too far from the Food Court/main building.
We loved the tree lined walking paths and the quaint, romantic ambiance. It truly is the romantic resort we were glad we had picked 11 years ago for part of our honeymoon.
The kids loved the alligators playing instruments and all about the pool. It was entirely too cold for us to consider swimming while we were there, but the kids (8 and 6) both said it looked like it would be fun - especially the slide.
Our room was clean and fresh smelling. There was a small area chipped on a tile in the bathroom, but I'm not ranking the hotel much lower because I know they are renovating soon :) I like that they give several to-go cups by the coffee maker instead of just 2 like some hotels do. It's convenient if you want both water, coffee, or to have the kids split a juice, etc.
We ate at the Food Court and it was very good (review will be separate), though not excellent. I wish that they had just a little more variety as I'm sure if we had been here more than a 2-3 days like most people, we might have gotten bored with the menu. The beignets were wonderful though :) On my rating, I am putting that the hotel has a restaurant and room service, but please keep in mind that it's really a Food Court/Quick service restaurant and that room service is really just pizza delivery ;)
We did LOVE Elliott Dyson (the jazz musician that they have some nights for free in the lobby) as he was fabulous. We must have stayed watching him for 2+ hours and it was one of the highlights of our trip. The Scat Cat Bar open to where he played is also nice. Dyson was absolutely wonderful with our kids and all of the kids that stopped by with their families.
The hotel was decorated for Christmas and it was really beautiful, especially the lobby. It was one of the best decorated that we saw over the next 10 or so days (and we stayed at the Animal Kingdom, Beach Club, and Carribbean - we switch hotels a lot, lol).
We are hoping to go back for one night (as we are DVC ;) ) in the near future so we can try out a newly renovated room and see Dyson again :) I am overall giving this a 5, even though it's more like a 4.5 with the rooms that need renovating. Once the remaining rooms are done, I'm sure it will truly be a five star for its value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Revel in the romance and pageantry of New Orleans's historic French Quarter at this Resort hotel, where cobblestone streets, gas lamps, wrought-iron balconies and fragrant magnolia blossoms evoke the Antebellum era and colorful Mardi Gras characters and jazz keep things lively. Then stroll along the Sassagoula River to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside, home to Cajun and Creole specialties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp and Southall Travel so you can book your Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney Port Orleans Resort
- Port Orleans French Quarter
- Port Orleans Orlando
- Disney Port Orleans French Quarter
- Disney Port Orleans Hotel
- Disneys Port Orleans Resort French Quarter
- Port Orleans Disney
- Disneys Port Orleans Hotel
- Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter Orlando, Florida