“Perfect stay - Request to extend group rate makes it sweeter!”

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Ranked #173 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Smyrna, Georgia
“Perfect stay - Request to extend group rate makes it sweeter!”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

First of all, our group rate was $111 and change, a Disney bargain. I also had a minivan at my disposal. My review should be taken with that context in mind.

The surroundings are scenic, beautiful and well-manicured as is all Disney property. The "happiest place on earth" is also the safest place on earth with a manned entry gate at all times, checking all who enter. Parking is free.

Stays at Disney's Coronado Springs resort can be quite variable. If one is involved with convention activities, then it is important to stay in areas close to the convention center. I stayed in the 1st building complex (incredibly close) while my friend stayed in the 7th building complex (usually requiring shuttle service). He was able to walk to the convention center but asked rides of me fairly often.

The room was spacious, decorated well, and had most every amenity except a microwave. Refrigerator was a real plus. Rooms were clean to a fault. Internet was free but somewhat spotty. One of my computers was rock steady, and my other computer kept getting knocked off.

The hotel was introducing bracelets with a chip to open doors, gates, and to charge to the room. They were impressively packaged in a suitable gift box, and the bracelets are personalized with an individual's name on it! They also issued room cards, which worked as a backup. Most of the time was spent getting the bracelet exactly placed so that it would activate the door lock. Still, once they get the bracelets fully working, it will be more convenient to use the bracelet. It won't get lost!

Disney food is always overpriced; that should be a given, but I was impressed that our main restaurant was open until 11pm. They have a refillable drink mug that has a smart chip within it and knows how many days you will be staying! It was interesting how that chip was used to prevent people from giving their refillable mugs, etc.

I would take the minivan off property and eat, since workers in our group were not out to impress anyone in particular.

The convention staff were very accommodating for our event. They helped us as much as possible at every turn. We were running a chess tournament for 1500 people and we had their attention.

We checked in a day early in advance of our event and still got the group rate of $111. We tried to extend our stay and were offered a $230 rate. We declined that rate, but remained persistent, asking to contact group reservations to continue our group rate. That did the trick, and we stayed another day at $111+change.

A few of our well-educated parents of our playing audience did not like the Disney experience - thought it was too unctuous and lavish of a life style. That was a little surprising; apparently the Disney experience does not appeal to all....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Fun F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,561)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

As a frequent Disney traveler I feel like I know the park, I know what to expect and where the magic is. Look as I could, I just didn't find it here. No one made me feel special. When my family stays on a Disney resort we like that we are transported out of this world to a world of magic. We never encountered the magic at Coronado. The people were nice, the room was clean and very nicely decorated. The hammocks were great to lay and relax in. The buses were convenient and frequent. The place was busy, and the people made it known they were busy, they were gruff and short and never once put on the facade that they were there to entertain us, share magic or joke, the feeling was that they were there to work. The restaurants were ok. When I thought about it more I think that it was because a convention center. They seemed to cater more to business people than families on vacation. They wanted to process people in and out as quickly as possible. And yes, the squirrels don't move.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Flakenbake
Franklinton, Louisiana
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We are currently on vacation and just checked in to the resort and our room is horrible. It was harf to find and when we did it smells like smoke. The room is patched together and nasty. No where near the quality when we stayed at Port of Orleans Riverside. The room is very dated and old! We visit Disney every year and this is not what we expected.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank millerman929
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This hotel is typical of Disney. Beautiful grounds and lobby, rooms and restaurants are of course overpriced. The food was average and servings a bit large. We did buy the fountain drink refill cups and that is definitely a good value. The grounds are kept very clean and it is a very pretty resort. Rooms were not as clean as I would expect from Disney. Our room was in Building 7B a good size but the bathroom smelled funny and had mildew on the ceiling. Staff was friendly and helpful. It is a very large property so be prepared for some walking to and from the main areas such as pool, lobby and convention area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wendy L
FL
Reviewed 15 December 2013

$300 for 2 nights in a dumpy motel, complete with concrete walls. I stayed here for an event at the convention center so the proximity to disney was not important to me. I asked for a room close to the convention center in the same building as friends. I was assigned a room in the building farthest from the convention center, friend was 2 buildings away. I called disney ahead of time to confirm this request, was told "no problem". Disney tells you what you want to hear, but does what is easiest for them. My friend's room was not available for 2 hours after checkin time. The bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank CAL104
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Nice grounds at this hotel but the rooms are small and ours was dirty at check-in (toilet had not been cleaned, towels had stains.) also the toilet ran all night and the thermostat was broken. Terrible, and when you think about how much the Disney hotels cost, even the "moderate" ones...

Stayed December 2013
3 Thank uigrl
Ohio
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I like the hotel the rooms are clean, it is easy to get to from anywhere on Disney property, it is landscaped very nice, the pool area is really nice, although it was too cold to use while we were there. I did not like the food court at all, we ate supper and breakfast there and neither one was any good, the only thing we ate there that I thought was any good was the pizza, I did like that. They don't have many options for snacks or drinks, I was really disappointed with that, but overall it isn't a bad place. The staff were all very nice and helpful, the hotel is very pretty I just did not like the food court at all I personally think it is the worse one on Disney property

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family