“hotel great, food very expensive”

Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando
Ranked #166 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Red Oak, United States
“hotel great, food very expensive”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Food and service was excellent, but when we went down to happy hour, we had 2 drinks for $18 with a $3.00 off coupon for breakfast buffet. Went to breakfast buffet the next morning and it was, I believe $28 per person which with the coupon brought it down to $25, plus gratuity, plus tax per person!!! We left and went to the Golden Corral that was with in walking distance.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Louis E, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Tom P,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing this review. I am so happy you enjoyed our service during your stay. I have passed on your comments to our food and beverage manager. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I hope to see you again soon.

Louis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

If you want a hotel close to Universal, you won't find much better than this, it's walkable, 10-15 mins maybe, although there is also a free shuttle if you are feeling a little lazy, or tired! Being so close meant we could walk there and back during the day, pop home, change and then walk back again for dinner and drinks in the evening.

The hotel had fantastic customer service, as you come to expect from American. Especially the young guy at the Parks desk who helped us decide which parks to visit and saved us loads on our tickets.

We were also handed free cookies on arrival and told that we could ask for more cookies whenever we wanted! We didn't really use the facilities at the hotel, but there is a pool, bar, coffee shop etc. should you want to use it. The rooms were massive by European standards. We had adjoining rooms and both had double beds. Rooms were very clean and modern. There was a TGI across the road and a fantastic Italian restaurant nearby, sadly I don't recall the name, but it was near Hooters and not within City Walk.

The only downside was the cost of breakfast, which was approx £18 per person.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Louis E, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Lisa V,

I am so happy to hear your stay was so perfect. I am glad you enjoyed our rooms, location and our staff. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this review with us, we really appreciate all of the wonderful feedback. We hope to see you again soon.

Tampa, United States
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Recently attended a conference which the hotel was hosting, check in was at 4pm. We didn't get to check in until 5:45pm. Room was clean but not as nice as expected. It was convenient for the event I was attending but wouldn't recommend it to anyone who was looking for anything but a room to stay in for the night.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Michael E,

Thank you for staying with us during your conference and for taking the time to share this review with us. I am so sorry it was after check in time before you were able to get to your room. I have shared this with our staff that is responsible to ensure this doesn't happen again. I hope the next time you are in the area you will give us a chance to show that this is not the normal service we provide.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I just returned from our Orlando vacation with our kids and stayed at this Hilton for 7 nights. We picked this hotel because we are Hilton Honors members and wanted to stay close to Universal. The location of the hotel is ideal if you are planning to spend time at Universal, only a 15 minute walk from the hotel to the park. They also have a shuttle, which we never used. Because we are Hilton Honors members, we were told that we would get a room upgrade. If our room was upgraded, this hotel needs some serious work. Our room was musty, the bathtub had mold, or some sort of dark stuff on the caulking, and the tub faucet was not secured to the wall. The carpet at the entrance of the room was ripped and frayed, which wasn't a huge deal, but the room just looked really tired and worn out.

The staff was very nice, but when we inquired about getting our HH points back if we end up staying somewhere else because of the condition of the room, they didn't even ask what the problem was. We ended up staying because it was the closest hotel to Universal, but I wouldn't want to stay there again.

Pool area was nice and very clean, laundry facilities were very clean and well kept. Buffet breakfast is insanely expensive, $20 per person, including my kids and the buffet was basically the same spread you see at a free hotel breakfast except there is a waffle and omelette station. I can't spend $80 for my family to eat breakfast, so we only went there 1 day during our stay and that was because they gave us a free breakfast voucher.

Dear olgamueller,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this review with us and telling us how we can improve. Your feedback is so important and I truly appreciate it. I cannot apologize enough for the issues you had in your room and for the lack of caring when you reported it. I have spoken with all the departments involved and This was corrected. If you are ever back in the area, please let me know so I may personally block a room for you.

Best regards

kinnelon, United States
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I could not have asked for a better hotel accommodation to compliment our vacation experience in Orlando. The cleaning staff, front desk staff, Joe T from hotel security and Philip (waiting on us at breakfast) provided over-the-top service.

Dear James H,

Thank you so much for your review! I am so happy to hear what a great time you had staying with us. I really appreciate you letting us know about our outstanding staff members. We have shared this with all of them. please come back and see us soon.

Pittsburgh, United States
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed here for a family vacation. The staff was great. Location to Universal was good. It was about a 15 minute walk. We choose to walk rather than the shuttle, because the shuttle made 4 stops before arriving at Universal. Walking was much faster. The AC uit in our room was a bit loud but other than that, it was a great place to stay. Very clean.

Dear Scott M,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing this review. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed our location and our staff. We all hope to see you the next time you visit Orlando.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I called to request an early check in and ended up not showing till 3 pm. The front desk was friendly and efficient and gave me a room. The first room was not up to par and I called the front desk to voice concerns. Linda, the front desk manager took over immediatly and changed the room and checked in on me more than once to be sue it was perfect. The warm cookie was a special treat. I had special requests during the stay that were accommodated quickly and professionally. I would recommend this hotel to others. It was less than 5 minutes drive to Universal and City Walk. I was told it could be walked in 15, maybe next time.

Room Tip: The higher floors in the front offer great views of the Universal area
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Louis E, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear car277,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am so glad to hear of the wonderful service you received from Linda. I have shared this with her and it brought a smile to her face. I loved to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel. We all invite you to come back and stay with us again soon.