Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow
“Brillian”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great Hotel and service stayed for 6 nights however I much preferred the Loews Royal pacific which is where I stayed last year, cannot really say why as both were excellent its just my preference however I would recommend both Hotels 5 star

3 Thank lizpaterson47
LPBHManager, General Manager at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoy our on-site sister property, Loews Royal Pacific Resort as well. With its closer proximity to the parks, the Royal Pacific is fantastic! We appreciate you choosing Loews, and hope to see you on campus again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (753)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2014

After spending a long day at Universal it was so nice to come back to a large room with a great bathroom and comfortable beds. Dining options that aren't so crowded and areas to relax. Using the water taxis to get to the amusement parks & city walk was very nice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife, 7 year old son and I stayed at the Portofino hotel for a short family vacation. While we did go to the theme parks the first day, we found ourselves staying at the hotel and enjoying its many family friendly amenities and restaurants. Their pool was a blast and the staff was very friendly and attentive.

The room was clean, spacious and had a great view. I really don't have anything negative to report. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the marina
Green Features: The hotel offered your standard eco option of reusing towels and linens in order to cut down on laundry usage
2 Thank Gpedre
Thank you so much for your comments and recommendation.
While the two theme parks at Universal Orlando Resort are a major attraction, we are proud to offer amenities to keep you entertained right here at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel. We are glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Room was fairly clean upon initial inspection and check in a breeze. Went to pull out bed and blanket was dirty. Requested another and was never delivered. After about an hour called and said my daughter is asleep and will not need it. Front desk said, " let me get this straight, do you not need one or should we try to give you a clean one tomorrow?" I said, the child in need of a blanket is sound asleep and I don't want you to wake her. " so you won't be needing the blanket?" Ugh!
Brushing teeth and notice green mold around the silver stopper at bottom of sink. I am from florida so i understand mold and hard water--a little Clorox will take car if it in 5 seconds. Just disappointed. If it were not for Harry Potter I'd be at the Ritz.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank A C
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. What you’ve described in your review is not representative of the high standards we have and will be addressed with the appropriate departments. Also, please accept my sincere apologies for the miscommunications that occurred. One call to our team should have been all that was required on your part and I am sorry this was not what you experienced. We strive to provide efficient and courteous service to all of our guests. We hope that you will consider staying with us again.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had blood on my duvet and it took 2 hours to get it removed - until 1AM! Iron was broken, 2 days to replace it, cockroaches in public bathroom, spa sink broken, lockers didn't work, and it didn't feel clean, housekeeping was slamming doors while supervisor walked the halls yelling each morning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

7 Thank Timothy Q
Germany
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Oh I really want to love this hotel. We booked a special family trip with two older teens to celebrate a milestone birthday for my husband. We paid for concierge level, and I specifically mentioned it was a celebration. At the very high prices, I had hoped for some mention, something in the room, anything from the hotel acknowledging our visit. This is the usual practice for a hotel at this level. The hotel is beautiful, the room was lovely and we had a nice view of the pool. We were not offered a map, and as we were checking in just as the world cup was kicking off the America vice Germany game, we inquired about where to watch the game. The staff had no idea. We were not told where the concierge room was, and when we asked a maid, she seemed to not know. We asked if anything special was happening at the park, and no one we asked on the property knew about any special events. Honestly, our biggest complaint was that the staff all seemed like it was their first day on the job. they were pleasant, but just had no idea. I asked the concierge for help planning a special birthday dinner - she recommended the hotel restaurant, but had not eaten at any of the restaurants on premises. I asked for help making reservations, but she knew so little about the food or the place that I decided to make reservations myself. I called Mama Della's and told them it was a special event. we had a lovely meal, the food was excellent but very expensive for small portions. I had hoped the waiter would bring dessert, offer music, anything - but again nothing. It was such a let down as we went to orlando to celebrate and just gave up trying to celebrate at the Portofino. Even after telling the hostess at the restaurant it was a birthday - nothing. It was a big disappointment.
all of this said, the views were lovely from the outside piazza. No one told us there was opera in the evenings - so we were pleasantly surprised to hear it when we were enjoying a glass of wine by the water. If only the staff was trained, and the concierge staff knew something about Orlando, Universal, or the hotel itself the hotel would improve immensely. It was a very expensive week that we enjoyed - but primarily because our room was comfortable, the pool was excellent and the poolside drink service was friendly and knowledgeable. Please Portofino invest in staff training and take a little effort to make people feel special. We never did.

Room Tip: ask for a pool view, on one of the upper floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Travelingtheworld27
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed in two villa rooms with the club convenience. If we had taken advantage of all the club benefits, it would have been worth the extra price. Although the staff was extremely helpful, our time in the parks meant little time enjoying the benefits of the club. Our room was a standard room but larger than most other hotel rooms. The bathroom is large with both a tub and shower; however, during our stay, their was urine on and around the toilet and the shower door/walls had lots of grime and mold. Since there was a mix up with our room and we were not assigned a room until after 6 PM (although we arrived at 6:30 AM), when we finally arrived in our room after the closing of the park, we were too exhausted when we learned about the bathroom issues. Therefore, I ended wiping up the urine (yuck!!!) and living with the shower grime and mold (yuck!!!). Again, a beautiful hotel (we've stayed there before) but the uncleanness of the bathroom made this trip memorable in a negative way.

3 Thank W. R
Thank you for your candid feedback. Please know that your comfort and enjoyment are our priority. These issues you mentioned should not have been an inconvenience to you during your stay, so please accept my sincere apologies. Your comments about the condition of the bathroom and housekeeping are important to us, and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know where we can improve. As a Florida resident, we hope to welcome you back soon to experience our intended level of service.