“Good location but question the cost”

Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando
Ranked #57 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed for 7 nights in June2014. Staff was very friendly and the room was adequate. There were 4 of us aged 55 to 15 and the beds being what I thought was supposed to be a queen were really more of a extra full. It was a good thing we brought extra cots because there was no way we could pay the$15 per day extra for one roll away, also no fridge or microwave unless pay $15 per day for that also.
I don't understand why a deluxe hotel that you pay a premium for has to charge for a fridge, microwave and parking per night. We have stayed in other hotels very close to the park for a lot less and have never had to pay for any of those. Extra bed I can understand but not the fridge, microwave or parking. I understand it's an on site hotel and there are perks such as Express pass and being close to the parks but I do think it is a little much. Also found out that the self park is also overflow parking for a venue and my husband had to wait for a space or we were going to have to pay for valet parking.
We will probably stay onsite again but it will have to be a few years before we can enjoy a visit to this hotel again. I really did enjoy it but was really disappointed at the extra cost, not that anybody at Universal cares about that. They are just in it for the money!

Room Tip: Bring a noise machine to block out noises and towers 3 and 1 are closest to the pool and walkways.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Wendy F
LRPR, General Manager at Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Aloha Wendy F!

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback on TripAdvisor! We truly appreciate your feedback regarding our products, services and more specifically – your individual experience at the Loews Royal Pacific Resort. As an alternative to implementing a resort fee, we’ve built what you might consider an 'a la carte' menu of utilized amenities. We are pleased that you had an overall enjoyable time in the Islands and we look forward to your return. Mahalo!

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this for my daughters graduation. It was actually three rooms with adjoining doors to the center "suite" room. Two queens on one side, king on the opposite. The suite part was huge! Awesome view of the pool. My daughter and her friends had adequate room and privacy and I had more than enough room and privacy. The suite had a very large table, tv and pullout couch AND a third bathroom which came in very handy when four girls needed to get ready. Nice kitchen and full size fridge. A bit pricey but the extras make up for it. Location, Express Passes, Service and Staff were top notch. Unfortunately was not able to try any of the restaurants but the pool was very nice and clean.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Jay S

Aloha Jay S!

Thank you for the “sweet” FIVE out of FIVE rating on TripAdvisor. Special occasions are always fun to celebrate and we are glad that you allowed us to host your daughter’s graduation. We are pleased that the suite was very accommodating and that you had a chance to take advantage of the hotel perks. We look forward to your return. Mahalo!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Though I live locally here in Orlando, I booked the Royal Pacific Resort as a tropical weekend getaway for myself and my partner. I found that check-in was easy, pleasant, and I was happy to be offered options for customizing my stay. Jacqueline at the front desk was friendly, quite personable, and we quickly learned that we had a lot in common since we both happened to go to college for the same subject area.

My room was comfortable and as described. Since we were on the 7th floor we had a beautiful view of the waterways and of Island's of Adventure with Harry Potter's Hogwarts castle in the far background. From our room, viewing the sunset over the parks was quite beautiful.

The housekeepers were very nice and always had our room perfectly ordered and stocked with fresh towels on our return. I enjoyed the swimming pool and loved the convenience of ordering food and drinks from wherever we were seated in the pool area! The activities staff by the pool was super-friendly and helpful. They even had all kinds of activities for guests to participate in.

I want to especially thank Jacqueline at the front desk for creating a warm, friendly, and positive first impression and preview of what our amazing weekend would be at the Royal Pacific Resort. I'm also thankful for the thoughtful congratulatory card and amenity she sent to our room in honor of my recent graduation from college. Thanks to Jacqueline, my partner and I had the opportunity to enjoy a fabulous breakfast at the Island's dining room.

On another night we also had the opportunity to do the Wok Experience. The Wok experience was a delightful opportunity to choose from select ingredients and let the chef prepare it before your eyes. Then, while you are dining, a pretty Hawaiian dancer will come by your table and dance while a guy plays on the ukulele. One thing that stood out to me was that the ukulele singer was trying to sing his songs while the restaurant was pumping different music through their speakers. Despite this quirk we had a lot of fun there that night.

Our stay was perfect, wonderful, and we can't wait to do it again. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I always read through the reviews before I choose a hotel, I look at the good and the bad and then weigh the two before making a decision. Based on all of the negative reviews I was prepared to be un-impressed but chose the hotel anyway based on the location and the park perks that come with staying onsite.

Upon arrival we were greeted warmly by the staff, check-in was easy and we were on our way to the room. We had a room on the first floor, which I was initially disappointed with, it was a handicap room, so no bathtub which was disappointing, I was looking forward to a soak after a long day at the parks. Initially, I was going to ask to be moved, but then realized the location was perfect, we were just steps away from the pool, elevators and walk way to Universal. I figured the location made up for the lack of bathtub :-)

We thought the hotel was beautiful, the room and beds were extremely comfortable. Our room was kept very clean. The free Wi-Fi was a nice plus, the signal strength was good enough for me to check emails and do a little work in the evenings.

We really loved the perks that came with the hotel stay, we took advantage of the express pass, early entry to Harry Potter and the boats were a nice way to travel back to the hotel after a long day at the parks.

We are definitely spoiled now. I can't imagine staying anywhere else when visiting Universal.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Skyruisstoo
LRPR, General Manager at Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for the fantastic review and FOUR out of FIVE rating! We are pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations and shared the spirit of aloha to you and your family from check-in to check-out. We look forward to hosting your next vacation very soon to continue the memories. Mahalo!

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights with our family of 4(kids 7 and 4).The room wasn't quite ready when we arrived at 10 am but we received a text about 30 min later and it was ready. The room was very clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. All the staff were very friendly and professional. Only minus is no fridge in the room but it wasn't a big deal as we brought a cooler for water and drinks. Ice machine was right across the hall. The grounds are beautiful, clean and well maintained with an "islands" feel. The pool is great for kids with a water play area themed like a ships deck and there is a sand beach. There was also plenty of chairs, shade, and complimentary lemon water, towels and chair covers. Lots of poolside activities for kids with very nice activities staff. Drinks at pool bar were a little pricey but they bring them right to you with plenty of wait staff who were friendly. The location was awesome. About a 5 min walk to citywalk and Islands of Adventure. There are also boats if you are tired but it was generally faster to walk. My whole family agreed that it was, as the Universal commercials say, "the best vacation ever!" Also you can pool hop to the other hotels which is what we did for one day, kids loved it. We are already planning to go back next year.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank NorALskier

We would consider a FIVE out of FIVE rating "the best vacation ever!", thank you! It sounds like your family enjoyed plenty of fun in the sun by our pool and beach areas. We appreciate such positive feedback and we are certain these memories will last a lifetime. Mahalo!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed for a week at this hotel in June and found it to be excellent. Staff were all very helpful and the rooms were spotlessly clean although a little tired. I did not find them to be small at all although only two of us were sharing. The hotel is not opulent compared to other luxury hotels in the area i have stayed at but you are paying for the location and benefits of a resort hotel
Used the hula bar at the pool side for snacks and the Islands dining room for breakfast buffet and found the prices reasonable for a hotel of this standard.
The express passes and early entry to universal studios and islands of adventure were invaluable as was the easy access to the parks using the walkway or the water taxis which run every 15 mins approx.
I used the self park for my vehicle which I. Have to admit made me annoyed as it is 21 dollars per night, entry by swiping your room key. I appreciate however that it would cost this at other hotels in the area.
Overall this hotel was very nice with great staff and ideally situated for universal. I would certainly return here.

Room Tip: I headroom in tower two second floor which was adequate and quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank croftheadbob

Your FIVE out of FIVE rating is terrific, thank you! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Relaxing by the pool while indulging in some delicious snacks from the Bula Bar is always a great option. We hope that you stay with us again next time you visit Central Florida, Mahalo!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We are a family of 3 and we stayed here for 2 weeks at the end of May 2014.

We chose this hotel mainly due to the location and the unlimited fast passes (which were such a blessing, waiting no more than 15mins for a ride that had a 75min wait time for non fast pass people).

On arrival, we were greeted by very friendly staff and were able to access our room straight away. There was a dispenser of very tasty punch for guests to enjoy at reception too, which we were grateful for after travelling over 12 hours.

Our room was in tower 3 and overlooked a small lake and part of the carpark. The room was basic and quite small but we were not in Orlando to spend the day in our room!

We had such an amazing holiday, and we made a good choice with this hotel.

When we had enough of the parks, we could laze around the large free from pool with water jets for the children. Activities were put on during the day which was great, but best of all, they put on a movie poolside every evening. My son loved that he could watch his favourite movies whilst in the pool until 10pm!

The pool bar/grill was great. The drinks were expensive ($26 for 2 glasses of wine), but happy hour is 7-9pm, and they are then much cheaper. The food was delicious and reasonably priced too. You have to try the nachos! It's a HUGE rectangular plate that could feed a family of 4 for $14! They had lots of healthy options on the menu too, which was good. Staff were extremely friendly and remembered your name. They were genuinely interested to talk to you, and it wasn't because they were after a tip because 18% is automatically added to the bill.

We spent many days at either Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure. It's just a short water taxi ride away (less than 5 mins) or a very pleasant walk (5-10mins). Both parks were amazing, my 8 year old son loved them. Some days Daddy would sit around the pool and I would take my son to one park and do his favourite rides, then go back to the hotel for lunch. After lunch, I went to the other park. Such a great location!

It was my husbands 40th in April, and I emailed in advance to see if there was anything that the hotel could do. On arrival he was given a card that was personally signed by all staff, then a few days in we came back to our room and a huge basket of goodies was waiting for him. Thank you RPR, it was very thoughtful and very much appreciated.

The ONLY negative are that the rooms and bathrooms are quite dated and the walls are VERY thin. It would not have been so much of a problem, but our neighbours in the next room thought it was appropriate to let their children shout, jump on beds and bang drawers at 6:30am! Not the hotels fault, but the walls are quite thin as we heard them talking also.
I think a refurb is due, and then it would definitely be a 5* review rating from me!

Nevertheless, we would definitely return, and are thinking of doing so for my 40th next year!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank may012
LRPR, General Manager at Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Thank you for your FOUR out of FIVE rating and detailed review on TripAdvisor! There is nothing more impactful than when hotel staff remembers your name, and for that we are pleased that this was part of your experience. Thank you for allowing us to be your host during your husband's special celebration. Mahalo!