“Great Location/awesome perks to the park!”

Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando
Ranked #47 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Turlock, California
“Great Location/awesome perks to the park!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The hotel itself was nice. The room was nice but a bit small. The staff was very friendly. My family and I really enjoyed the grounds. Loved the water taxi to Universal. Overall enjoyable. If your main thing for the trip is to go to Universal Studios, this is a great place to stay. It's nice to be able to enter the park an hour earlier, and it's nice having the express pass capability. All because of staying at this hotel!

The restaurant by the pool was a little disappointing. We tried it a few times. It was expensive for what you got. The food was just average. It was nice that they offered outdoor movie by the pool each night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Caroline33197

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,355)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2014

They promise a rock star service but they need to look at the prima donna approach to service. After a superb holiday in Orlando taking in the full Disney experience by way of hotel and villa, this was intended to be the downtime - recovery from the exertions of Disney and children and some pampering as promised in the brochure.
Initial impressions were not ideal.
I was aware that parking was payable at the hotel at $18 per day at the hotel which in my opinion is a total rip off but at least clearly noted on the web site & brochure. when I arrived I drove to the "drop off" area directly in front of the reception to allow the boss, cost centres and luggage to alight within easy walking distance of the front door, before retiring the vehicle to the rip off car park sorry secured parking which is some 200m away.
The concierge was completely unhelpful and certainly not a people person. with a build in line with the Buc's line backer and a game day scowl to match. The low pitched growl or sorry, helpful contribution from this individual bordered on aggression as the only intelligible comment that was conveyed was "do not park there, you pay parking". When I pointed out several times that I was dropping off my family and indeed would cover the over priced parking, I ended up ignoring this ever so helpful individual and just got on with matters.
I ensured my family where safely in reception and away from the help that the concierge was attempting to provide before I returned to my vehicle. By this time the concierge had called for back up as clearly I had unintentionally broken company riles by my errant parking. I again asked what the process was for dropping off guests and was again informed, but this time in a more conciliatory tone that "secure parking is that way......."
I am a simple tourist but find it incredulous that a five star hotel in Florida would expect guests to walk 200m plus from a car park when there is a clearly marked drop off zone!
I expected an answer to this dilemma from reception and was informed that parking in the area in front of the hotel had caused problems for access in the past , which I think is a reasonable point but I still none the wiser if a. Drop off is actually a drop off zone and b. If there is any assistance for guests arriving.
Anyway, I was not going to let the Buc's line backer demeanour disturb my holiday, especially the last few days.
The room although very small by US standards and even by Disney budget or Howard Johnson style motels was very clean with limited TV /audio facilitates but all kit was excellent quality. Two double beds, which were very comfortable took up virtually all the floor space so not sure if the family rooms afford any living space.
En suite shower room was very clean and I have to say the lemon grass bath condiments were probably the best quality I have came across in any five star hotel, fresh, tangy and highly invigorating - surprised they were not available for purchase as the hotel had more of a retailing feel to it with staff constantly trying to sell you another service.
So the staff, interesting culture which is heavily influenced by rock star egos - unfortunately the service is reflected by this ethos.Following my experience at the front door, standard of service did not really improve throughout our stay.
As an example, when I went to reception to order some late night room service I was kept waiting for eight minutes - yes I am that sad I timed it - as two members of staff discussed impact of shifts on their social life.I was not invited to participate in the discussion and was left feeling more of an irritant than a guest.
On another occasion, I had to ask for clean towels for the room and faced a questioning approach that the Inquisition would have considered too direc.
On site restaurants are priced at the top end for average US style food. the ala carte menu was not overly inspiring and as such we only had one breakfast - average - and one lunch - very expensive for basic burgers and fries- so not exactly five star cuisine.
There is also a small shop on site offering snacks such ad chips and ice cream with a limited but adequate range of alcoholic beverages- as you would expect bit pricey for being on site.
So, overall not too impressed but I have still to cover the two best aspects of this hotel:
1. Pool - heated with a silly water slide but great fun. Surprisingly shallow but great way to relax - the children film at the end of the day is a great idea for the children to unwind.
2 proximity to the park - with early access permits, within a few minutes walk this is a superb location for Universal.

The service needs to be addressed from the Buc's line backer welcoming "style" to more helpful reception staff. There still too much of a feel that the whole experience is for you to hand over your credit card for every activity as opposed to being able to relax.
The parking fee is excessive and supports the aforementioned observation.
Hard Rock is a highly respectable brand, for good reason and should look at service in this location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Jack T
Leicestershire UK
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stopped at this hotel for a visit to Universal Studios. Beautiful place, fabulous location right next to the parks. The staff were excellent, and left little treats for the kids every night after the turndown of the rooms.
The Kitchen resturant was excellent too, along with the coffee bar and shop.

You also get the opportunity of getting a express pass to your park tickets if you stay here also.

I cannot rate this place highly enough, for families or adults.

Room Tip: If you have a family, go for a kids suite. (Seperate room for the kids)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Ballyshannon, Ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Wow.... Where do I start!
Without doubt e best hotel I have ever stayed in, I stayed here June 2014 for 4 nights, having stayed her the year previous as part of our honeymoon.
We used the hotel as a base for visiting Universal, and doing a little bit of shopping.
Everything about this hotel has the wow factor. The lobby is very spacious, with plenty of comfortable sofas, and seating to chill out. As expected loads of rock n roll memorabilia dotted through out to walk around and look at. The sculpture outside the front of the hotel of guitars, with a fountain rising and subsiding though it is beautiful.

The staff are very friendly, and plentiful! There are so many staff members around the lobby area to help with any queries. We had a friend visiting us for a night that was planning on coming to universal with us. When we enquirer about purchasing a fast pass for her, a staff member said she would just add her to our reservation at no cost, thus entitling her to a fast pass from our reservation.

The rooms are very spacious, clean, we'll decorated and well maintained. There is a coffee machine in the room, and the coffee from it is just gorgeous for any coffee aficionados!

The pool area is also excellent, with a beach area, and complementary waterslide. There is also a hot tub!

Finally there is a boat service to universal studios, which is only a 5 minute walk away. It really is the perfect hotel to visit universal from.

A couple of negatives though are the price of car parking, the hard rock hotel is certainly not cheap to stay in.... So complementary parking for guests should be given. A second issue would be that the poolside service was quite slow, from when you order drinks till when you get them.... I would have been a lot quicker getting them myself!!

Overall, this place is amazing!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Orlando
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I would have given my rating at 5 stars except for 3 things. 1. The drinks are just a bit too expensive. A $14 Bloody Mary, with the added .18% gratuity added is a bit too much. My husband and I both think if the hotel priced their drinks just a bit lower they would sell much more!! 2. A few times when we were at the pool we couldn't even hear the music. We expect to hear the rock and roll when at a hotel named the Hard Rock and lastly, we are military. We appreciate those hotels in our great country that show their gratitude to our military. There was no military discounts available to us. They said they were all used already. That's unsatisfactory to us. Otherwise we had an awesome time. The hotel is beautiful, the pool lovely...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

The Staff was Great, The Margarita Sampler, excellent. Food was very Good. Great Ambiance. We will definitely go back. Music Videos were really Good & the Decor was beautiful. A nice place to cool off before going back to the Park

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Spent just 1 night here but wished it was longer. Booked a room for a family of 5 to get the Universal Express Passes. We checked in on the first morning early (8:00am), although at this time our room wasn't ready, made great use of the passes until 3pm when our room was ready. Used the pool for an hour or two, this was a very cool pool. Live music, nice slide! Spent the early evening at US/IOA. The Kitchen next day for breakfast - again very good, before hitting the parks for the day. I'd book this hotel again given the chance. Not cheap we paid just over £220 for a night in August but the cost of flying over to Orlando is becoming extortionate in July/August.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family