“Not worth money”

Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando
Ranked #45 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 July 2009

The bed was very hard and uncomfortable, the food mediocre, and the pool not nearly as big as pictured on the website.

$525.00 for one night . That included the room, lunch by the pool, and coffee in the room the next morning. Did not include dinner, parking fees, and various other costs.

We wont stay there again. It was very noisy in the hallways late at night with kids running up and down, and the pool water had very bad smell.

Thanks,

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank chazrc
There are newer reviews for Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando

Reviewed 11 July 2009

The location was fantastic. Express passes let you get through the park quick. Our problems dealt with the hotel itself. We had a All Access Pass which entitled us to an upgrade in room - which we didn't get because the upgraded rooms were sold out. Okay, but then we were also supposed to get a welcome gift which they said they were out of. Our room wasn't cleaned after the first night. We had to call security around midnight because the room next to us was having a teenage party. The music was blaring and every other word was F---. I never complain, though it sounds like I'm whinning. Just trying to be honest.

2  Thank V_O_Reason
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Stayed on the 7th Floor Club Level during Christmas/New Year Holiday. With teenage sons this is the only hotel in Orlando to stay - great pool, close to parks, STAFF amazing and instantly sons made some cool friends. They and the parents just love thje HRH - especially the Front of Line Passes for both parks.

The only downside about our 4 day stay was the on-going construction work on the refurbished Club Room. This was appauling project management not to have completed before the festive season. Having to cram into a ground floor meeting room with people spilling out into the corridor. NO PRIOR NOTIFICATION WAS GIVEN ABOUT THIS WORK and NO REAL APOLOGY. The new Club Room looked cool (brief look as construction workers recovered the entire room with plastic after it failed an inspection - further delaying opening), however, cant wait to return and use it.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Thank WhenAreWeThere!
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Stayed here in March with my friend. Both of us really enjoyed the property and especially the pool. We had a full week of 85 degrees and just loved laying around such a beautiful pool. The staff were always most helpful - from front desk, concierge, and restaurant staff. The room was adaquate. Not amazing, but I knew that when I booked it. I was really here for the convenience of location and the use of the front of the line pass. However, I can say that in March this pass was not even necessary. I just came back from another trip to Universal over July 4th weekend and I really wish I had stayed on site then and got that priviledge! Breakfast in the Kitchen was probably the best that I have ever had! We ate there twice and didn't mind paying the $20. My biggest gripe was that we rented a car for one day and because I had parked it in their lot for two hours, I was charged the daily lot fee of $22. My rental on the car for the day was only $45! And one note regarding the rental - on site property will only rent hybred cars and that was a real trip to learn how to drive! Thankfully they go out and give you a lesson before you leave with the vehicle! Next year I am returning to Orlando with my family and instead of paying a lower rate to stay off property like I just did, I would absolutely return to one of the Universal hotels like I had in March. The location and the express pass is certainly well worth the extra dollars. Hope that this review helps!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank loveisbliss
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We stayed here for 10 days in June. We had a room on the 6th Floor.
Staff are very friendly, we had a problem with the in room safe and someone came and fixed it within 10 minutes of calling them. Rooms are comfortable and quite spacious. We had no trouble with noise from other guests as has been reported. Food and drink quite expensive but there is a Golden Corall 5 minutes away which we used quite a bit.
Pool is a bit shallow, but i am over 6 feet and could swim around in most areas.
Car park is a rip off, $15 a day so budget for this. The parks are within a 10 minute stroll through some lovely gardens, although it was 95 degrees each day which made walking difficult! They were late cleaning the rooms some days, it was 7.30pm one day, which was a pain as after a day in the parks you just want to relax and get your feet up.
However the cleaning staff were all friendly and did a very good job.
There is a laundry room where my wife spent a happy afternoon and reported it was good value. Probably the highlight of her stay! There is free WIFI in the lobby area, but a charge if you want to use it in your room.
I would definately stay here again if I was to return to Orlando.

Reviewed 28 June 2009

Okay, so we have been to some REALLY great hotels in the past, AND some terrible ones. This one was AVERAGE....except for the location. If you are wanting to be within a 5 minute walk (or free boat ride or "gratuity only " rickshaw ride) away from Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, and City Walk, then this is the place to be. It is in the middle of it all. But given the price of about $200/night?? I was a little disappointed. The room was pretty clean, but had this sticky spot on the carpet, right in the middle of the floor that I seemed to hit EVERY time I walked through the room...gross! Who knows what it was that was SO sticky it could stop you in your tracks? The decor was kinda nice, room kinda small, view of the parking lot with a patch of grass and trees, okay.
The pool rocked...zero grade entry...live music...fun for the kids with the waterslide...never heard the underwater music, though.
We stayed for 3 nights...one of the bathroom rugs disappeared on day two...the other on day three...it bothered me to have to stand on bare ceramic tile in the bathroom so I called down and asked for our bathroom rugs to be replaced. They sent bathmats. I asked for the two original comfy white rugs that we originally had...they DID find some and brought them promptly.
The remote was missing, too, BIG deal for my husband...they brought one within half an hour...but then we couldn't get the MAJOR networks?? WARNING!!! IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN MAKE SURE TO SET PARENTAL LOCKS... HBO and all kinds of evening shows are available with the push of a button!!
BTW...breakfast buffet is AMAZING!!! at the Kitchen Rest. on the 1st floor! ANYTHING you would want for breakfast, good service, etc. but we had VOUCHERS for free breakfast every morning...don't know the actual price.
Also...we checked in on Thurs. night....end of the month..HUGE concert in the LOBBY...it was WARRANT the eighties band that sings "Cherry Pie". Loud, chaotic, forced to valet park...not the best time to arrive with a 4 and 6 yr. old! PLUS it costs $15 to self park (per night) or $22 for valet...COMPLETE RIP OFF!!
So, to sum things up...we were there on a FREE all inclusive trip through my husbands company with our 4 and 6 yr. old. The location is INCREDIBLE...but the rest...just adequate. I would have come away feeling disappointed if I had spent the regular price of $200/night for a room that we spent VERY little time in, and was just mediocre. Hope this helps, and if you like the way I review, see my summary of Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. We just came back home today from there! Happy Traveling!!

1  Thank bdostal
Reviewed 27 June 2009

This is the 3rd year we have stayed at the Hard Rock in Orlando. I love the atmosphere at this place. The pool is wonderful. My youngest child loves to go down to the pool when the DJ is there and she loves participating in the nice activities they have for the kids. The main reason we stay here is because of the location to the parks and the fast passes you get for the rides because you stay at the resort. It is worth it to us to do this. Although this is a very nice place to stay I do find a few downfalls. It is quite costly and you pay high dollar for just a bottle of coke. But we knew this going into to it. The other things was that this time I felt like the mattress on the bed was extremely hard. I called housekeeping to see if we could get another one but they couldn't do that. They did bring me some blankets to help pad the mattress but that made it worse. I did appreciate the attempt to help. All in all this is a very nice place to stay and will go back again one day.