“First time I've been disappointed with a Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Universal Studios Orlando
Ranked #137 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Toronto, Canada
“First time I've been disappointed with a Holiday Inn Express”
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights, and I've got to say, I was very disappointed with this hotel. We've stayed in a lot of different Holiday Inn Express hotels throughout the US, and this one was by far the worst. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I will never go back to that hotel.

First the positives. The location is perfect if you're going to Universal Studios. The price was also a positive, as it is a fairly cheap hotel to stay at. For a lot of people price and location are key, so this hotel definitely has that in its favour.

Now for the negatives. When we arrived, the front door to the hotel lobby was locked. Granted, it was after hours (approx. 12:30am), so from a security perspective, that's not necessarily a bad thing. So we rang the bell to have someone let us in. After waiting for about 5 minutes, we finally got inside the lobby, where we were greeted by the most unmotivated hotel clerk we'd ever met. I felt like we should have apologized for disturbing her. Now purely a personal preference thing for me, but I HATE hotels that separate the sink/mirror area from the toilet/shower area. Maybe for families this is preferable, I don't know, but my opinion is that any "bathroom stuff" you need to do should be in the privacy of the bathroom, behind a closed door. Oh, and that leads me to my next point. The toilet and shower area was literally a converted closet. There wasn't even a real door, just a sliding pocket door which didn't close all that tight (although I guess it's not uncommon for closet doors to leave a gap). The bed was literally 5 feet away from this pocket door, seperated only by the small sink area. There were only 2 of us in the room thankfully. I can't imagine if more that 2 people wanted to share a room. The best part of our stay at this hotel was when we finally checked out. If I hadn't prepaid for the room in advance, we would have left while waiting at the front door for someone to let us in.

There are lots of other hotels right in the same area for about the same price, so my advice is to check them out first.

This all being said, I still really like Holiday Inn Express as a chain, but now I know that not all Holiday Inn Express' are equal, and will therefore need to do a bit more homework for the next time.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravellinDaveHead
jmmiller123456, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Universal Studios Orlando, responded to this review, 20 August 2009
We take great pride in making sure all of our guests have an enjoyable experience during their stay with us.

We appreciate any opportunity during the stay to meet our guests desires and needs, and I believe one of our suites would have been more suitable to your needs.

Your comments regarding the greeting you experienced upon arrival is certainly not up to par with our commitment to delivering excellent service. I would appreciate the extra step if you could contact me with the date of your arrival.

Guest feedback is shared with all hotel associates in a continued effort to maintain our high guest service standards.

We thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Jane Miller
407-363-1333
jmmiller@buffalolodging.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
dundee scotland
Reviewed 9 August 2009

had a 2 nights stay and overall found it to be a pleasant hotel, check in was fine, and room was very clean and of a good size, pool area was also pleasant, not to big but quiet and relaxing,hotels location was great for the universal parks but not a lot else unless you had a car, Breakfast was tasty but manic, a problem i have encountered with the H.I.E.'s. STandard time for breakfast for all hotels in the chain that i have been to is 6.30 to 9.30, but if you are not down before 8am it is really busy, no fun at all. When you are on vacation you dont want to be getting up the same time you get up the other 48 weeks of the year, but the alternative is the crazy breakfast or missing it all together. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Over the piece enjoyed the stay, it is a nice hotel , and would stay again for a night or two if i was visiting universal , but if not for that there are many better alternatives place to stay in the sunshine state.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
reggio
Reviewed 2 August 2009

clean, cheap and near universal studio. Just too many holiday-school.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank enrico10
Manasquan, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 June 2009

SUPER clean hotel. Wonderful front desk personal. highly recommended. safe and secure. Nice to see security going thru at night. Comfortable bed. Free in room wi-fi easy to use. Pleasant stay. Across from Universal Studios entrance.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2009

This place ROCKS! Stayed for two nights and we were thrilled. After some pretty scary places around Disney this one was a wonderful surprise. Check in was a breeze; staff was so friendly you felt welcome immediately. The room was immaculate, everything worked well, we enjoyed the pool and the hot breakfast in the morning.

Pick this one, you won't be sorry!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Shadohart
North America
Reviewed 19 June 2009

First impression, curb appeal, was good. Attentive staff, clean inside and out. Yes, at check in I did notice some gospel music that a few previous reviewers noted but it was not loud or overbearing nor did I hear it all or every day while going through the lobby. I think one of the staff enjoys it so they play it now and then but it should not keep anyone from making a reservation. Nobody is there to try to change your ways. Attentive servers on the free breakfast bar kept it warm and well stocked during our week stay. Overall I was impressed with this HI Express. I visit Orlando often and I would say this is one of the better establishments in the area. It was very convenient to Universal Studios, about a 15 minute walk. It's close to other hotels and restaurants but not on the well beaten path on International Drive which is becoming worn out. If you feel the need to visit anything on I-Drive there is a green trolley stop just at at the front of the hotel. The green line trolleys stop every half hour and go all the way up and down I-Drive.. The stay was very refreshing and I would stay there again in a heart beat.. I am VERY glad I selected this hotel over the "normal" Holiday Inn that was down the street, it looked very worn down and shabby. Not an oversold condo accommodation, but a realistically priced family hotel with great service. HI Express is one of those chains that you can almost always trust to have a good stay at, at least in my experience so far.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2FarAwayFromHome
Indialantic, FL
Reviewed 13 June 2009

This hotel is new & very clean. I was a female traveling alone and felt very safe. It's a family hotel w/small pool. Saw a number of business travelers as well. The room was small but nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. Room contained desk/wireless for laptop. Staff were friendly, free breakfast included hot and cold items and offered more than the usual "continental". I ate at 7am each morning and had no wait. When leaving at 8:30 however, the breakfast room was crowded. There were kids/teenagers in large numbers (It is 1/2 mile from Universal Studios, afterall). I saw them around, but they were well-mannered and were not the least bothersome. Close to Ikea, Millenia Mall, a Walgreens, and a number of restaurants. Only 2 complaints: The sheers on the window are not sufficient and the curtains dont pull closed, but the height of the room made privacy less of an issue, I guess. Ask for a room on 4th floor or higher! Second, the shampoo is worthless. If you have a lot of hair, bring your own shampoo. Otherwise, I liked this choice, it was the best possible hotel for the money, and I will be staying there again when I return. Without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business