“A little pre work will ensure a great time. ”

Universal's Volcano Bay
Ranked #241 of 457 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Water is Life. Life is Joy. That's the philosophy celebrated at Universal's Volcano Bay™ water theme park. It's the carefree attitude the fabled Waturi islanders have embraced on their Pacific isle for centuries. Now you can live the Waturi way at this all-new park where thrills and relaxation flow in perfect harmony.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Lockers / storage, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We are annual visitors to Universal and last year we arrived just days after Volcano Bay opened. The reviews were overwhelmingly terrible so we skipped it and waited another year. Before our visit this year I did a lot of research to ensure we had a great time. We decided to go on a Monday ( their least busy day) and take advantage of the early admission staying at the Hard Rock affords its guest. We brought towels from the hotel, swimming shoes and lots of sunscreen. Working your way from the back of the park to the front of park is another useful tip. We arrived by 8 and had ridden everything by 11:30 with little to no wait times.
As we were leaving wait times were soaring to 120 minutes.
Every employee was friendly and able to answer a question. The park itself is very clean and beautifully decorated.
The Tapu bands are quirky and can fall off easily. Plus shade is hard to come by( this is why I subtracted one star)
The rides are thrilling and fun just arrive early and avoid the weekends to ensure a fun time.

4  Thank Carla F
UOGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Universal's Volcano Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi, Carla!
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review. I am so glad to read you took the time to plan and research prior to your visit and were able to have a fantastic time with us and enjoyed your Early Park Admission, experience low wait times, found Volcano Bay to be clean and beautiful, thought our Team Members were helpful, and enjoyed so many of our attractions! I hope you had the opportunity to experience Krakatau Aqua Coaster as it is my personal favorite ride in Volcano Bay. However, I do want to take a moment and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by your TapuTapu falling off, and for not being able to easily find shade. One of my go-to spots, when I'm in need of a break from the Florida sunshine in Volcano Bay, is the Kohola Reef Restaurant & Social Club. They have a wonderful covered patio next to the restaurant with tables and ceiling fans, so it is a great place to take a moment and relax outside of the sun. Plus, while you're there you might as well grab a Chocolate Lava Cake as it is absolutely delicious. I have taken the liberty of formally documenting your feedback to pass along to the appropriate departments. If you would like to discuss any aspect of your visit in additional detail please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Services Department at 407-224-4233 option 4 or by email at GuestServices@univesalorlando.com. When contacting, please provide your TripAdvisor display name. Thanks again for your review, I truly hope we have the chance to welcome you back to our parks in the future.
-Casey

Write a ReviewReviews (3,092)
All reviews
in 40 reviews
"moana"
in 63 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Okay first things first. Get a cabana! If you are taking your family on vacation spend the money. It's worth it. Not only do you get a beautiful, covered spacious area for your family, but it comes with several other bonuses. Things like free towels, bottled water, a fruit and pastry tray and many others. The cabana not only covers you from the sun, but when it rains (and it will) you stay high and dry while the park clears out then you have the rides to yourself.

Now enough of the cabana. The park is beautiful and clean. There was staff everywhere to not only help keep the park running smoothly, but also to answer questions. It was also the biggest water park in my opinion in the area. Tons of things to do and the Tapu Tapu feature was nice. Yes you still have to wait 15-20min when you get to the ride, but it's much better than having to stand in line for an hour or more.

Now for me the two biggest cons and why I didn't give 5 stars. First the refillable souvenir cups. They cost $13 and can only be refilled every 10 mins. What is worse is that you can't refill them just anywhere. Only certain areas. For that price I should be able to wherever I choose and get a refill.

Lastly the parking arrangements. They have turned the parking for Universal and Islands of Adventures into Volcano Bay parking. So you have to be bused in. This isn't too bad in the morning, but when everyone is leaving from the rain it's horrible. Not only do you wait in line forever, but you get crammed into a bus which is over capacity and then it's off to a roller coaster ride as the driver takes turns like he is trying to qualify... They need a different option for this.

All in all we will return and it's a beautiful park worth going to. Hope this helps.

1  Thank JoeLeo237

Hi, Joe!
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your feedback! It makes me glad to read you and your family enjoyed your cabana rental and the wonderful amenities it came with, found the park to be beautiful and clean, found our Team Members to be helpful, and enjoyed TapuTapu. I personally absolutely adore our cabana rentals as they provide the ultimate luxury and relaxation experience, and I am so happy to read you did as well. However, I do sincerely want to apologize that you were disappointed with our Coca-Cola Freestyle Cups and parking procedures, specifically during the rain. I have taken the liberty of formally documenting your feedback to pass along to the appropriate departments. If you would like to discuss any aspect of your visit in additional detail please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Services Department at 407-224-4233 option 4 or by email at GuestServices@univesalorlando.com. When contacting, please provide your TripAdvisor display name. Thanks again for your review, we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My family and I were so excited to try Volcano Bay, then we read the reviews, many of them discouraging us to go, with low rankings. This had me concerned but I am ever the optimist and thought we could make the best of it, we would be different, we would have a good time, and those other low reviews just be by grumpy people and its not Universals fault they are so busy... well...

Here's the short version.

"How to have a good time despite the bad reviews in four steps"

1) Buy. The. Fast. Pass.
2) Check the weather.
3) Plan your lunch.
4) Buy a waterproof necklace for your phone and credit card
5) Wear water shoes.

Here's the long version if like details.

The pros-

Again, as an optimist, I'll start with the positives.

Its beautiful, new, lush, and the rides are stellar, very fun!! It's very clear that Universal tried to change and improve things about other waterparks (e.g the tapu tapu watches).

The fast pass was completely 100% worth it. I realize not everyone can spend that kind of money, but if you can't, I highly recommend you don't go to this park. You'll be so angry you rode 2 rides in 5 hours and paid hundreds of dollars. Why not spend more to ride everything and leave knowing you made the most of it if you can? The waits were 2 hours per ride, some 3 hours, but with the pass, we got on within 5 minutes! Maybe Universal should consider lowering the daily maximum occupancy of the park for those who can't get a fast pass so that they can still have fun.

There are a lot of buses for quick transportation to the park from the parking deck. Unless there is an exodus... see the cons.

The food choices were very diverse in the main food court area, I appreciated the vegetarian options!!

The fearless river was tremendously fun!

The cons-

Its a new park so staff are new and many not yet familiar with the systems of the park. I recieved different answers from different staff on a variety of topics all day, but overall they were nice.

The tapu tapu watch- does fall off! When I read this in other reviews I assumed it was just because people didn't latch it right, but they really do and you have to do get another one and it's a huge process. Linking your credit card to it is it a great feature, but not comforting since it gets lost so easily.

The main food area- was a disaster. There was a separate line for each kind of food so if you are ordering different things for different people, brace yourself. I waited about an hour total, and this was at 3:30. Again, I was given different answers by different staff about the drink system and essentially had to choose between waiting 30 more minutes for soda cups in a different line or buy their unlimited refill cups at the register... lunch was $72 for 3 people. Yikes.

Photo pass- The cameras didn't always capture us right on the rides and so we only got 2 pictures in 5 hours... not worth it.

The locker system- was automated with the tapu but it was a pain to keep going back to so get a waterproof case necklace instead, cheaper than a locker!

Water shoes- were very helpful for the rivers and hot pavement, its so busy toes can get trampled.

A rainy exit- I know the rain isn't the parks fault, but it rains every day in Orlando which is why they should have a better exodus system. This really was the trip ruiner here, thousands of people shuffled into this tunnel to get away from the storm and to the buses, people were pushing, angry, shoving, it was like being in Times Square on New Years Eve. Literally. I've been. We were miserable for over 40 minutes in this state waiting on the buses. They were moving as fast as they could though, but there must be a better way! This must happen every other day here!

Because of the rain we didn't even get on half of the rides, but this isn't the parks fault. Just a warning about checking the weather.

Hope this helps you!

1  Thank Liveforvacation86

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback about you and your family's visit to Volcano Bay and your suggestions to help our future Guests make the most out of their visit with us. As an optimist myself, I am delighted to read you found the park to be beautiful, liked TapuTapu, thought our Team Members were nice, found your Express Passes to be useful, and enjoyed our food and attraction offerings especially our vegetarian food choices and TeAwa the Fearless River. Personally, I love the Express Passes at Volcano Bay since it eliminates the need for Virtual Line on many of our attractions and allows you to enter straight into the buffer queue and it makes me glad to know you and your family enjoyed this benefit as well.
However, it saddens me to read you found our Team Members to not be familiar with the park, found Kohola Reef Restaurant & Social Club to be a "disaster" and too expensive, were disappointed in your on-ride photos and locker system, found the pavement to be too hot, disliked our exit procedure in inclement weather, and that your TapuTapu fell off during your visit. We strive to provide each and every Guest that visits us with positive vacation memories, and it saddens me to read we did not fully deliver on this expectation for you and your family. I would love the opportunity to see what we can do to assist in providing you and your party with more positive memories of Volcano Bay. At your convenience, please call our Guest Services Department at 407-224-4233 option 4 or by email at GuestServices@universalorlando.com. When contacting, please provide your TripAdvisor display name. Thank you, we look forward to having the opportunity to speak with you personally. I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort again in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I read plenty of negative reviews before we went so was very sceptical. Well we found all the staff to be very polite dispite what people said, the rides very good only complaint to busy and the tapu we found didn’t work for us. My advise would be to plan your visit before u go and tap on to the ride you most want to go on as the lines can be over 2 hrs long then jump in the lazy river or crack on with some of the less sort after rides. Enjoy

1  Thank Paul M
UOGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Universal's Volcano Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Paul,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me. I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful time visiting our park and experiencing our exciting attractions. I hope you got the chance to experience Krakatau Aqua Coaster because it is one of my favorite rides at the park. I would like to apologize, however, that you experienced crowding in the park and problems with Virtual Line. If you wish to discuss this further, please call 407-224-4233, option 4, or send an email to GuestServices@UniversalOrlando.com. Thank you and I hope we get the chance to entertain you again soon!
-Tori

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This place was a water park on steroids! So fun, so cool and there’s no way your walking around and not smiling! Went on a Friday around noon. Packed but not overly packed. I guess if the park reaches capacity, they won’t let people in until others start leaving. So if it’s later in the day for you and you’re heading that way, you can call to make sure they’re still letting people in. We got lucky and were ok.
It was SO expensive for everything once you got into the water park. Our lunch for 4 of us costs about $100. Would recommend getting your kids beverages in a volcano bay refillable cup. It’s expensive but otherwise your paying $4 on a small soda/ h2O. You have to buy a certain cup for refills. I would recommend wearing your shoes around park when walking from one side to the other. Our feet got so hot, I could feel them blistering. Everyone was running from one wet spot in the concrete, to another. Was burning hot. Then on some slides, they have little caddy nets to put your shoes and sunglasses in while you are in line.
The tapu tapu (?) watches are a good concept but annoying. Each one our tapu’ deals deactivated at one point. So you have to go back to your bag, get your ticket, take to service desk, get another watch, take ticket back and then head back to scan your watch deal. It was super annoying. Not sure why they deactivated, but you have to wear them. It explains more on their website. We found those watch deals alll over the park. Sometime they’d fall off, from the pressure of a slide, so then too, you’d have to go get another watch deal, at no charge. It’s so lines don’t get physically crazy long I guess. I also would NOT recommend putting your credit card info on the watch deals b:c what happens if your deal does fall off and your cc info is in there. ?? Someone’s gonna be spending your $$.
were about $10-12 a piece. Bartender Kati at the bar was fun and made good long Islands. Thanks Kati!
The volcano was awesome. Great scenery!
It rained and lightning, so they closed rides down for about 2 hrs. They weren’t sure it was going to reopen but it did. So many people left so we basically got the park for the remaining time, to ourselves. It was AWESOME! No lines, not crowded, nothing! Just smiles. Totally worth the money.

1  Thank Melissa P

Hi Melissa,
Thank you for taking the time to write this thorough review of our newest park. I am thrilled to read that you had such a great time visiting our park and experiencing everything it has to offer. I am especially pleased that you enjoyed using the Coca-Cola Freestyle Cups, as I think they are one of the best values we offer at our parks! I am sorry, however, to read that you experienced problems with TapuTapu and high prices during your visit. TapuTapu and Virtual Line are meant to create a relaxing and stress-free experience for our Guests and I regret that it did not accomplish that for you. If you wish to speak more about your experience, please call 407-224-4233, option 4, or send an email to GuestServices@UniversalOrlando.com. Thank you again for your review.
-Tori