“Disney's Port Orleans Riverside”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #90 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
NYC
“Disney's Port Orleans Riverside”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I consider myself a pretty well rounded traveler. I live in NYC where there is an abundance of luxury and 5 star EVERYTHING so I wouldnt say I am easily impressed but at the same time I wouldnt say I am too high maintnence. I believe in the "you get what you pay for"....usually. This resort wasnt 5 star by any means. 3 star at best. It wasnt glamourus like some spa resorts or 5 star slices of heaven I have visited. However, I looked at some of the more expensive Disney hotels to compare/contrast the pros and cons and I realized that they all looked the same. The finishes in the rooms and the materials used were the same. The decor was very similar and so I felt the extra cost just wasnt worth it here. The rooms are clean, comfortable- even if a little dated and the service is great. Everyone is super friendly. Since you dont come to Disney to spend much time in your room I think a moderate price resort such as this one was fine. The Disney Experience was magical and what they lacked in room decor they made up in the overall experience that is Disney. It was my first time ever there and at 34 years of age I have to say I was pretty skeptical about how much fun Disney could be for an adult but they have a million things to do. You will be so tired when you get to your room you wont care anyway. Downtown Disney has everything you need for entertainment. Epcot was my favorit of all the park. I found it to be innovative and exciting, even for adults. There is much to do and see at Disney so the room is the least of your concerns. My best advice: Do the meal plan, do the beverage plan. It is worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CharleneOrtiz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,144)
  • Hebrew first
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

We had the most amazing trip while we stayed at Disney's Port Orleans Riverside. The lobby is beautiful. The cast members were quick and efficient to check us in. We booked a Royal Room and we were not disappointed. The small touches throughout the room were just amazing. Having two queen beds made a huge difference over the two full beds that used to be in the rooms.

We stayed in Oak Manor, Garden View room 9070, and the location was perfect. It was located right over the first bridge by the main building. It had a lovely garden view. The grounds were very lush, green and clean. The courtyard in front was used to show nightly movies. Our room was very clean and when we had to call housekeeping for extra towels and pillows, they were brought to our room in a very timely fashion.

We ate at the food court several times. There was a large selection. We were on the dining plan, so we used some of our counter service credits at the food court.

My family always enjoys swimming at very large big pool. But there was a quiet pool right next to our room and we used that too (especially when we had to do laundry).

We will return again.....hopefully soon!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the main building if possible. It might depend on the room category you choo...
6 Thank Kirstie O
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

I had a ticket to use up before Sept 29, so decided on a 2 day stay at a moderate Disney Hotel. I usually stay at the military hotel, Shades of Green, but they were fully booked on Sept 27. I only wanted the room - no dining or ticket plans. The nice thing about this experience is that it allowed me to use the magic bands. Unfortunately, we received our best information on the bands on the last day as we were leaving. When we checked in, the attendant told me to use it to open the door, but it was not necessary to use it for anything else. Right!! That is if you do not want to get fast passes, dining reservations, park entry, etc. Totally inadequate orientation. So, the room was a preferred room in Building 27. Although it was convenient (somewhat) to the large pool and food court, it was inconvenient to the parking lot. It took me one day to find out where I should park to cut my walk in half (again - the front desk person did not know to offer me this information.) Housekeeping was adequate, although pushy - did not want to wait for us to leave to clean - wanted to only give us towels and go. They must be getting pressure from corporate to hurry along - that is the only reason that I can see for this poor attitude. This leads me to the overall feeling that customer service at WDW has decreased exponentially. They use to pride themselves on customer service, but now, there is not that feeling at the resorts. Food court - nothing to write home about - average. My advice is to go to the French Quarter - better food. Pool was ok - need more hot tubs at the quiet pools. The one hot tub at the entire resort was closed for maintenance!! Not a way to make points with an older adult. Pools should be open all night with understanding that people remain quiet, otherwise they will be asked to leave. This is a perfectly adequate place to stay. Rooms do have two queen beds with a themed murphy bed for a child (or adult) who will not role out of bed.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room - they are usually larger. Unless you like dragging your luggage up a flight o...
1 Thank Kwnac
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Loved the grounds and the pool. Watched an outdoor movie one evening (Up) and it was so relaxing to just soak in Disney. We had a royal room with firework lights, prince/princess pictures and it was great except for the covering they put over the AC which blocked it. therefore, it was much warmer in the room than desired. We did not notice that it was a fake covering until a maintenance worker had to come and clean it and move the covering at 11:30pm. He was great and it worked once the large cover was pulled off and moved to the side. Of course, then you had a cover taking up space in the room and the AC below looked very old and beat up. This was the only drawback noted in our entire trip to Riverside... would come again!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SethCincinnati
Pierce, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit to Disney and this resort was amazing! It's beyond beautiful and the service from the moment you arrive is amazing. The walk to the main section is the only die side. But it's a gorgeous walk. Beds are comfortable rooms are good sized with great furniture to fit the room. My 4 yo loved the room and the beds that had fireworks. Mousekeepers are awesome as well. Will use again next time

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank 3DisneyAddicts
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I arrived at the Port Orleans Riverside on the 08/09/13 for ten days for my 21st Birthday trip. We travelled to the hotel on Disney's Magical Express, which was an enjoyable and quick journey and as always the staff on hand were very helpful. Upon arriving at the Port Orleans, we were greeted at the bus by two very friendly staff members, who checked us in on their iPads there and then and handed us our Magic Bands. Everyone else was having to go and check in at the desks inside the main lobby, so I'm not sure why we were greeted personally, but it gave us a very warm welcome. As a disabled guest I was immediately impressed by how accessible the hotel was. We were staying in one of the Royal Guest Rooms that we were all so excited to see, so after leaving our luggage with bell services we went straight over to see our room. It was magnificent. A dream room for any girl, no matter how old they are! We had requested to be on the ground floor and we were given just this. However, as we had only payed for a standard view room, we were right outside a huge generator that created an awful lot of noise. After a quick call to reception, we were given the all clear to have a room in Oak Manor as opposed to Patterre Place. Once we arrived at Oak Manor, we were already much happier with this room spot and our luggage was brought to us within half an hour. We were still overlooking the car park, but it was the tail end of it and therefore we had the view of the gardens leading around the corner to the pool area as well. The detailing that has gone into the Royal Guest rooms is truly unbelievable. You really could spend hours in there discovering all the small hidden details. The rooms were cleaned on regular occasions and we received clean towels daily. The pool area next too Oak Manor was spotless and cleaned daily. It was literally 30 seconds from our door. There was only ever a handful of people there during the day and come 11pm when everyone was coming in from the parks, the pool got quite busy. It was definitely the perfect way to wind down from a busy day in the parks. I only visited the large main pool area (located in the centre of the Riverside Resort) once. But likewise, it was spotless and not too crowded. The food court and main building was a short walk from our room. However, it is such a picturesque location that walking anywhere around the resort would not be a problem as there is always such beautiful scenery to look at. I was worried about the food court being busy at peak times and it was in comparison to the quieter times of the day. However, we never waited longer than 10/15 minutes to get served, pay for our food and then get our drinks from the refillable station. There was always plenty of tables. The food court sold a large selection of food and was all freshly cooked. I have several dietary requirements, but I managed to find a few things I could eat and the staff were very accommodating at making adjustments to their menu's to fit around your needs. We purchased the Quick-Service, Disney Dining Plan before travelling and it was the best decision we made. We only payed for a small number of meals in table service restaurants and still had meals remaining at the end! The portion sizes are huge and with every meal credit you get a main with a side, a pudding and a drink. That in itself kept us going all day! But when you are in the parks till late, being able to stop and grab something without having to worry about money was great. You could eat at so many different locations and we never had a bad meal. As with the resort, the park food services were just as accommodating for my needs. In the resort and parks, I often had a child's portion as they usually offered a more plain selection of foods and considerably smaller portions that suited me more. I would definitely purchase the dining plan again. When we calculated what we'd have spent one day in the parks/hotel, in comparison to what the cost of the meal plan was per day, we saved a HUGE amount. When you are buying four meals, including sides, drinks and puddings at least twice a day...it really adds up! The complementary bus services too and from the Disney parks we excellent. We never waited more than 20 minutes for a bus. A wheelchair user gets priority boarding as they have to use the alternative door and the ramp must be lowered. Therefore the other guests have to wait while you board and this often caused a few huffy faces. But it never took much more than 5 minutes, depending on how many wheelchairs there was. Each bus can take 2 to 3 wheelchairs at a time but considering it was low season when we went, we were often the only wheelchair user. You do have to wait until the bus has emptied at the departing depot, but this was never a problem for me! Disney is an excellent place to visit with someone who has a disability. It's the only place I know of where you do not have to worry about something not being accessible or staff not being accommodating. We did pre-order an in-room surprise from Disney's Floral and Gifts and one evening it was delivered to our room whilst we were out. It was worth every penny. The room was decorated with fabulous banners and Mickey confetti on the carpet. The presents were brilliant and were the perfect way to round of a birthday in Disney! I would highly recommend this resort to anyone, it is a truly gorgeous and I can't wait to visit again.

8 Thank lolly_m92
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I stayed here a week with my son for our Disney World vacation. The resort is fine with good activities for kids (pools, playground, and fishing).

The room had 2 queen beds and a murphy bed, which my son absolutely loved. There is a small refrigerator in the room so we could get some drinks and snacks. The resort was quiet and the room was generally comfortable. The bathroom was kind of small and there is only a curtain to separate the bathroom sink from the rest of the room.

Transportation to the parks is via bus and at times the wait can be long (or crowded depending on the time of day). There are several bus stops around the property so you don't have to walk too far to get to one, but the earlier stops on the bus route are recommended so you can sit (otherwise, when the bus is full, you'll end up standing). The boats to downtown Disney were fun to ride.

The restaurant (with table service) on the property was very good (cajun fare), but the fast food dining hall was extremely slow.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank VWC_SD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!