“Just as happy here as we were at a Disney Deluxe!!!”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #94 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 25 November 2013

#1 Gorgeous place to stay.
#2 Recommend the preferred rooms so that you're close to the main area. They didn't have any available when we booked but we asked when we got there and they let us upgrade.
#3 Boatwright's food is good IF you get the sauce on the side. Would avoid the dirty rice side. Steak, blackened fish, and prime rib were delicious, as was the grit cake, stewed tomatoes and potatoes. We all shared. And the desserts that we tried were all great, choc cake, bread pudding and lemon pound cake concoction was surprisingly a favorite. Our server was very helpful.
#4 Rooms are sufficient and loved the attention to detail. My 14 year-old (105lbs; 5'5) slept in the pull-down bed and was fine.
#5 Pools are great. The main pool is heated but we don't believe the others are, other than from the sun. So they were fine on hot days, but on cooler days, we went to the main pool. The pool area pictures don't do it justice. Was really beautiful. The whole place.
#6 If you like to exercise, there is not a facility for it; however, there's so much land that you can rent a bike and ride along smooth pathways and go for a long ride with awesome scenery. Me and my daughter enjoyed that one day. Between that and swimming at the more private pools, you can get your workout in.
#7 The buses were always timely, you have to expect that it will take a little time to get anywhere but it seems they are always trying to get you to where you need to be as best they can.
#8 We stayed in the Alligator Bayou area. ( I thought kids would like the theme of the room, it was designed well and was probably less boring than the fancier looking rooms that I would've picked!) We all enjoyed it.
#9 It was important to us to be close to the food court/quick serve area because, well, we eat often and had the dining plan. This made it super convenient and we were very happy with the selection of foods. It didn't feel like we were living on junk food which was wonderful. It seemed like a bigger area than the deluxe we have previously stayed at. Loved it.
#10 We stayed at this resort because we wanted to be more economically conscious than we were last time when we stayed at the Polynesian. Because the package price is not the only amount you spend if you want souvenirs! And we wanted to feel more comfortable with the cost this time. Was a hard decision because we wanted to enjoy it as much as we did last time and glad we stayed at the Riverside because it was also fabulous!

Room Tip: *Preferred Rooms are much, much closer!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank beth b
Write a ReviewReviews (8,848)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were wondering if we would be happy with the Riverside location but were pleasantly surprised at how easy (and relatively quick the transportation to all parks were). The resort is large but as long as you don't mind walking it is a great resort. Our room was large and clean, pool area was good for the kids and nice to relax near after a long day of visiting the parks. If you have older kids (which is easier for the transportation time) and want a mid range price Disney resort this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nadine L
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed here in September and had a great time. We were rarely in the rooms so for what its worth, this property treated us just fine. If you are going to spend little to no time in your room or on resort property, go with a value resort. One thing that is very important to us is location. We used Disney Magical Express and LOVED it however the internal Disney bus/transportation system is very slow and time consuming. We much prefer to stay in and near the Epcot area for the following reasons. You can walk to Epcot (world showcase) and Hollywood Studios as well as walk to the Disney Boardwalk. You can also go into Epcot and take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom, basically, you are within walking distance of three parks.

We stayed in the Alligator Bayou. The rooms across all Disney properties are essentially the same so not much to write about here. The room was clean, normal sized, but did have a really small TV, Disney should upgrade those. We enjoyed the drink mugs that came with our stay. The main pool area is nice and we enjoyed the mini pools throughout the property. The food court is decent but always crowded.

Going back in April and staying at Beach Club.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tboz1976
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed here 14 November for 6 nights with my boyfriend and had a fab time!
We checked in at around 10am and it wasn't too busy. We went straight to a desk and (I think his name was Charlie) was great, really helpful and explained everything as well as being bubbly and gave us 'First Time' badges which we wore round the parks! Our room was ready already, and we were staying in a royal room. However, our magic bands had been sent to the wrong hotel (we were originally meant to be staying at Coronado Springs but I changed it when I fell in love with the Royal Rooms!). Charlie gave us 'key to the world' cards for the day and promptly contacted the other hotel to get the magic bands sent over for us returning from the parks.
Our Royal Room was beautiful, and the grounds were well kept. Our building was pretty near the hotel main building, but I think if I was in one of the further away buildings I would have been disappointed.
The hotel grounds beside our building were gorgeous, great for photos.
Unfortunately we never had a chance to use any of the pools, or go to one of the 'movies under the stars' or their campfires, but they sounded great!
Food hall had a wide choice of foods, however one member of staff was quite rude and grumpy at breakfast.
The bus service from the hotel was good. The bus went to french quarter first then our building, but I think most, if not all hotel buses, run to more than one hotel, so this can't be avoided. However, you could be queuing for 15 minutes on a bus, and be in the middle of the queue, and a family with someone on a mobility scooter can cut past the whole queue to get on first. These are very popular in Disney so can really effect your journey wait time.
The hotel has a bar with a great pianist at night.
If we had a spare day, we could have easily spent it at the hotel doing various activities!
The hotel had a convenience shop too which was great for milk etc and any last minute souvenirs.
Check out was quick and easy.
Will happily return here in the future!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the Royal Rooms if you can! They are beautiful, and the buildings are closer to the ma...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kayleigh S
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I've waited a while to write this review, because whenever I think about our trip, I tend to get upset and didn't want it to cloud my review. We visited the week of July 22. The grounds were very nice. Though most people complain of the walk, I did not mind it. The scenery is very nice and calming. Loved seeing the horse carriages. Reallly enjoyed Yee-ha Bob when I was drinking away my sorrows. We stayed in the Royal Rooms which were very nice. Though our refrigerator was not working. My issue came when my daughter got sick and ended up in Florida's Chilren's Hospital. When her symptoms began,I called the front desk to find the location of the nearest hospital and I asked if there was any recommendation on what we should do since our child was very ill and we did not have a car. The front desk suggested we utilize the Disney Physician's concierge. Which ended up costing us quite a bit, since it was not covered on our BCBS plan. Though, we were happy to have a doctor visit our room. That was very nice. After prescribing antibiotics, we had to call down becasue we needed a working refrigerator for the medicine. We called the front desk and explained our situation. One was delivered to us within a few hours. So, that was good. Unfortunately, my daughter continued to deteriorate. My husband took her to the lobby and asked how to get to the nearest ER. A cab was called and the cab driver took them to Celebration Hospital. She was then transported to Florida's Children's Hospital the next day about 45 minutes away. After numerous cab rides back and forth, one of the cab drivers informed me that Disney will reimburse you for the cab rides in events such as this. So, when I got to my room I conacted the front desk. They said yes, but you needed to hang onto the receipts. So, great, after many $50 cab rides, I only had the last receipt from the last cab driver. Oh, well - at least I had that one. When I checked out the next morning, I explained the situation again and presented my cab receipt from Children's Hosptial. The front desk employee said he didn't think they could reimburse me. I asked to talk to a manager. She continued to say that they don't know where I was and I had no proof the cab picked me up at the hospital. I then showed her my wrist band from the hospital with my daughters name, etc. She said she'd have to check. So, I sat there for 15 mins. just stewing. She then came back and said they would reimburse this one fare but acted like I was trying to get away with something. As you can imagine, I was very worried about my daughter, we just lost thousands on our Disney trip, stay/tickets/dinners that were all prepaid, and I was getting a hassle for turning in one cab ride. You know, it was my own fault for not getting travel insurance (will never do that again) and it wasn't Disney's fault that my daughter got so ill and our family vacation was ruined. But, just an once of compassion or understanding would have made a big difference. I know it's terrible to let one employee ruin your love for Disney, but I just can't get past it. And though I want to take my kids here again since they didn't get to have any fun, It kills me to provide them with any more of my money. Maybe I should have waited longer to write the review. Obviously still hurt by the treatment. Again, without these issues, the resort is very nice. Food court terrible, but the rest, just fine.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Jenfest
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed with my Mom at this resort for 5 nights. I really loved the resort; the Royal Rooms are very nicely decorated and you feel like you are more in a deluxe than moderate report inside the room. It is very spacious for 2 people, and there is a firework in the headboards, thanks to a little button on the side of each headboard.

The amenities are great. We were jut near by a quiet pool and the washes-dryers area. The food court is efficient and a great variety. I cannot eat anything with gluten and they made me a turkey sandwich for lunch that was actually amazing.

There was, however, a few issues which makes me give it a 4 stars and not a 5 stars for this review:

- We came back on the 3rd night with a room that was not made. No bed tucked, no new towels. We called housekeeping for an explanation, they did not have any. I asked for the manager of housekeeping to call me back, I was told it would be within the hour. We never received a call. After calling back, we at least got someone giving us new toiletries and towels. But coming back at 10:30 at night to see the room not done an no clean towels, and on top of it not having the manager call back, that was not good.

- We were going on a Disney Cruise after this and had bought transfers, but at check-in the person did not know anything about it. When I went 2 days later to the concierge, they told me I would receive a letter by 6 pm the night before were to go, at what time. That was a relief, but the person at check-in should have known that.

- There was no fridge in the room, but the room is advertised with a fridge. When I called I was told that they were in the process of having new ones in and that was one of the last rooms in the resort not to have one. Why was I not told of this at check-in or even prior I do not know, as I require a fridge for medication, which is why I chose the hotel. One was sent to the room an hour later, but it was not put where it should have been (in the built-in cube). Instead it took room in the room, so I myself unplugged, put the fridge in the cube, and then did everything to be able to get the plug and plug it at the outlet (the built in thing was too heave and would not budge).

- I paid extra for a 'Garden view' and we had a garden and parking lot view...

So, while I recommend the hotel for anybody who wants a Royal experience when coming back 'home', I would also suggest not to pay the extra for a 'view'. I don't think it's worth it, and since your blinds will be down most of the time anyways as it is an 'outdoor walk' to go inside all rooms, you won't want people to peak in when the walk to their rooms anyways.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed towards back are (Near west depot), a little bit of a walk to the main builing but not to bad. The room seemed more spacious than usually. Below the TV was a small fold down bed that was perfect for my son. With that room could have slept 5. When we arrived there was no fridge so I had to call and request one. Right near us was a low key pool which was nice but they didn't supply towels for some reason. Maid service was OK but they never would store the iron away for us. All the employees were nice as usually.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WGRITravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Pop Century Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!