“Absolutely beautiful”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #90 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 21 September 2009

We spent six nights here and wished we had booked a 7th. We had always stayed at Caribbean Beach in the past and really enjoyed it but were ready to try something new. We absolutely loved Port Orleans Riverside and it is our new favorite. The big advantage here is the boat ride to Downtown Disney which has beautiful views of the peaceful river scenery. The grounds at Caribbean Beach are nice, but Riverside is even more beautiful. The pool was tons of fun - my husband and I enjoyed the slide as much as the kids. I loved my morning strolls around the river. The Mansions were very pretty from the outside.

We stayed in the Alligator Bayou section which has very lush and shady landscaping. It was a nice break from the September heat. The room decor is not very attractive but I suppose in keeping with the theme. We had a trundle bed room which will accomodate 5 people. The trundle bed is very small. I had intended for my 11-year old to use it, but realized she was too tall and let my 8-year old have it instead. The only negative at this resort is that the beds are doubles instead of queens. We stepped outside the door to our room to a very pretty "swamp" area. There were lizards running around all over the walkway which delighted our kids.

The food court and gift shop is great. Bus service is very good except for the trip home from Animal Kingdom. We left the park early and had to make an extra stop at Blizzard Beach and Port Orleans French quarter.

Our 8-year old cried a river when we left for our weekend at the beach. The beach hotel looked so shabby after this beautiful resort. This is where we will stay on our next trip. It is a beautiful, quiet, peaceful, fun resort and a great value. We can hardly wait to go back.

6  Thank ourfamilyvacation

Reviewed 21 September 2009

Family came because I had a conference during the day in downtown Orlando.....I was able to catch a cab every morning and wife, my parents, and 2 kids were able to use Disney transportation to the parks.....I was then able to join them in the afternoon........Something unique with this resort was the around the clock boat trip to the downtown Disney area.......My son and I visited Lego land often........The food court at resort was reasonable....The kids loved the main pool.......Service was Disney quality.......Would visit again

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank ddragon1221
Reviewed 18 September 2009

This was a wonderful resort in all ways possible. The room was exceptionally clean and tidy, very well furnished and maid serviced daily. Beds were comfortable. TV had not too many channels but the Disney guide channel was a great help. The pools were lovely. Breakfast room, shop, lobby all top notch. Staff were extremely polite and helpful. I really can't rate this place highly enough. Food was great - but you will need to book your evening meals in advance, either on your first day there or online beforehand. Disney dining plan was a bargain! Don't forget on the basic plan you have to get your own breakfast but you can buy bread\bagles from the shop and use the toaster with the free marg and jam etc. The refillable cups saved us a fortune. Disney parks so good again in every way. Wish we were still there!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank BellStaffordshire
Reviewed 16 September 2009

I stayed over labor day weekend and the staff is super friendly. I have a 3 year old and 4 month old and there was many ammenities I could do with the kids. Downtown Disney is really close and my son left his favorite blanket and Disney mailed it back. His smile was truly magical. PT. Orleans Service of Lost and Found is amazing!!!

2  Thank sherleycastellanos
Reviewed 16 September 2009

I love this resort! My partner and I went to this resort for our Anniversary 2 years ago, and have been trying to return the following two years, but it was full around August. I love its theme, the nature, the smell of magnolias and old feel of New Orleans. You can even rent boats and petal down the river. There were trails for you to take a walk on which also leads to Port Orleans French Quarter. I took many pictures, but had my camera stolen a month later and lost all of it. I was so upset. I've been trying to come back but it never worked out for some reason. The rooms were very comfortable and nicely decorated to my taste. Our window view was the scene of the river. It was beautiful, with the trees along with its bright yellow and orange leaves. We also took the boat down the river to downtown Disney and had dinner. The jacuzzi was also fabulous! It was very relaxing and romantic. It's exactly what we wanted. I wouldn't mind getting married here or even working here in the future.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PAngel143
Reviewed 14 September 2009

our family stayed the the Riverside labor day week. It was the second straight year staying at this resort. The grounds are beautiful, as well as the buildings. The rooms are very clean with a southern feel. The cast members thru the resort are very friendly and helpful. If you travel with young children, take them on the horse drawn carriage ride. A true Disney experience.

2  Thank Mackenzie H
Reviewed 14 September 2009

This place is so beautiful and truely looks like something out of gone with the wind. Although they call it a hotel, it actually consists of lots and lots of big white mansion houses which each house a number of studio appartments. The houses are set along the sassagoula river which has weeping willows all along it and is very beautiful. There is a main building which is located in the centre of this resort which houses the reception, the shop, bar, restaurant and food court.
The shop sells the usual disney apparrel, some general first aid such as tablets, creams and plasters etc, sweets and snacks and sun creams.
The restaunt 'Boatwrights' serves delicious food but is a little on the expensive side.
The Food Court is far more reasonable as you would expect and serves delicious food for breakfast lunch and dinner.
The bar is good fun in the evenings as there's usually some form of entertainment for the whole family to get involved with.
Just outside the main building is the main pool area called Ol Man Island. This is great for kids and has the usual slide and fountains. The very warm whirl pool is also great especially later in the evening when you need to soak those aching muscles after a day at one of the parks. There are also several other 'quiet' pools if you'd prefer a bit of piece and quiet.
Rooms are clean but quite basic and usually have 2 queen size beds and are all air conditioned with a free to use safe.
The beauty of this hotel is that it's right in the thick of things near the Downtown Disney area and a stones throw from Typhoon Lagoon water park. You can even get a water taxi to downtown disney in the evenings which means you can leave the car and have a good drink.
I've been luck y enough to have stayed there twice and would not hesitate in staying there again and again. All in all it's great and is rated as a Moderate Hotel but I'd certainly say it's on the high side of moderate and although it's not quite as good as the Deluxe resorts like Animal Kingdom Lodge, it's far less expensive and very nice indeed.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
7  Thank HappyWelshTraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!