“Exceptional Circumstances; Exceptional Service”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection
Ranked #43 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 1 July 2010

The Grand Bohemian is my hotel in Orlando. Service is always excellent. Accommodations are opulent, restaurant offerings succulent, and the gallery is a fascinating, unique addition.

This last trip was exceptional. Having neglected to pack a neck tie for my MCO meetings I headed for the gallery only to find it had closed for the night. I approached Concierge-extraordinaire Patricia Clifton for assistance. Through some devious means (I am, of course kidding about that description), Ms Clifton managed to acquire a display case key to access an elegant tie that saved my entire business trip.

I have visited perhaps half of the Kessler collection hotels. Each has been excellent. Orlando remains my favorite, and a big part of that is because of the over-the-top personal service.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection

Reviewed 21 June 2010

I was initially excited to see that this hotel offered the government rate for the five days I would be conducting business in Orlando. It ended up being a huge disappointment. I cannot believe this property carries the Marriott name. Marriott definitely needs to reconsider whatever deal they have going with this hotel. The lobby area is extravagantly decorated and does appear to be a five star hotel when you walk through the door, but I promise you, it ends there. My room was very dark, there were visible stains on the carpet, and the carpet wasn't even tacked down around the perimeter of the room. You could see a ton of dirt and debris that had collected in this area. The furniture was extremely dusty, the headboard was stained with something, the refrigerator full of alcohol and snacks wasn't working and had condensed everywhere, so the inside of the refrigerator was wet and smelled like mold. None of the ice makers were working on any floor. The coffee pot was filthy, there was a board sticking out from in between the box spring and mattress that I hit my leg on and finally figured that it was the hotel's poor attempt to make the bed more comfortable. I didn't sleep well all week. The bed was lumpy and way too soft. The mattress seemed old. The box spring had something spilled all over it. My shower head was covered in pink mold. The elevator and many of the floors smelled of natural gas, so much sometimes that I wanted to gag. The internet (for $12.95 per day) is as slow and inconvenient as dial-up. After requesting hot tea to take to my room one night, the service person in the bar suggested that I use my filthy coffee pot to make hot water for tea. When I told them it was dirty, the bar finally gave me hot water and a tea bag for which they charged me $3.50!!! Did I mention that I am a gold member, but was NEVER alerted to the concierge lounge where there is supposed to be free tea and clean coffee pots??!!. Don't let the Marriott website fool you. This hotel is not new but very old. It is lipstick on a pig really. They should spend less money on making it look like an adult amusement park with fancy art and velvet chairs and actually put some money into the guest rooms. I will never stay here again, and I am very, very disappointed that this hotel carries the Marriott name. I have stayed in Fairfield Inns and Courtyard's that were nicer and cleaner than this hotel. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Sholeh_Kia, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments. Please accept my personal apology for any inconsistency in our service. Your comments regarding your last experience with us s are very disturbing to me as they are certainly do not represent the quality of service we have proudly built our reputation. I can assure you that we have taken immediate steps to ensure no further recurrence. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for not living up to our usual high levels of service. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando in the very near future at which time I hope to have the privilege of making your personal acquaintance. In the meantime, if I may be of any further assistance, please contact me directly.

Sholeh Katherina Kia

Reviewed 4 June 2010

I have to confess I'm checking out the competition.

I wind up in Orlando a few times a year either on business or for triathlons. I agree with all of the recent reviews. The worn rooms, the nickel and diming over other hotel charges, wedding rentals, etc. I don't use the concierge at this location but I see that the hours are limited by their lack of presence, the décor that hits you over the head etc.

With one exception, I feel the Orlando area has a lot of authentic things to offer in particular the nearby old Orlando neighborhoods! They are within walking distance or a very short cab ride.

The staff is also very helpful. There can also be interesting guests at this hotel... not the typical Disney visitors. Love the gym, bar, food, the bed linens and the roof top pool scene. I am happy with this hotel and will probably be back but my loyalty is faltering. So bottom line, I'm ready to look around and do some homework on my next Orlando visit.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank SevenSees
Reviewed 31 May 2010

If i was coming to downtown orlando for business i would stay here. However, i came for a weekend with my husband and i found that the downtown location was not conveniant to parks and other active locations. Parking is awful, you might as well valet which is pricey. The room was large and nice, and the staff was nice ( a few a little pretentious). Honestly felt self conscious because we were dressed casuelly for travel and the staff and other travelers were very dressed up.

Reviewed 25 May 2010

I have stayed in the Grand Bohemian about a dozen times. Consistantly the rooms have been clean and quiet. The food is GREAT and the staff is helpful and friendly. If you join the "preferred" membership (iprefer) you can usually be upgraded to the concierge floor with its own bar (that you pay for) complete with snacks (that are free). I usually don't have time to enjoy the pool but go outside to stick my feet in the hottub while I call home in the evenings. I have also hosted work events here and the service and setting were supurb and affordable. My only gripe is that even though I love the decor, it is very 1990s (lots of red velvet couches and purple walls) and the robes are massive and weigh about 90 pounds. I'm glad to have it - but I don't want to take it home.
Downtown Orlando is way more fun than you think. Walkable and good food.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2010

We considered to have had an excellent room on the 21st which we occupied for 5 nights. There was a minor problem with music from another room which was quickly resolved. The furnishings and general decor were tastful and created a sense of luxury. The meals were excellent and staff were polite andd attentive. The parking valet service was very efficient.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Just a quick note to tell you that Patricia Clifton the Chief Concierge was outstanding. She printed out our boarding passes, found us directions, book a spa appointment at the airport for us and was the most please person I have ever dealt with at any hotel. I am a frequent business traveller and have to say she was exceptional.
I will definitely stay at the Grand Bohemian Hotel again due to her diligent behavior in making our stay a home away from home.

Best REgards,
WEndy G. Berney
Sr. VP Sales & Marketing
TacFast Systems International
Toronto, Canada

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Aloft Orlando Downtown
#107 of 340 in Orlando
Central Business District
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando Downtown
The Alfond Inn
#1 of 2 in Winter Park

Been to Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!