“Large building - Small collection - Underwhelming!”

Orlando Museum of Art
Ranked #145 of 442 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Owner description: This recently renovated museum displays a fine rotating collection of American, pre-Colombian and African art.
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I have been to large and small museums all over the world, and I look at each one individually to see what it offers. I have lived in Orlando for more than thirty years, and I would have thought that our Museum of Art would live up to it's name by now ...... but it hasn't! The core collection is pathetic, and the acquisitions committee is useless - except to buy new junk from unknown artists of questionable talent. Let's hope the new director changes the tide. In the meantime, go visit the Morse Museum in Winter Park, which is vastly superior - and well worth your time. Even the Cornell Museum at Rollins College has more to offer than the O.M.A.! When I want "culture" in central Florida - I open a container of yogurt. Shame ........ shame ...............

1  Thank Johntique
in 5 reviews
"culture"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 17 October 2013

As part of our recent Orlando museum hop, my wife and I visited the Orlando Museum of Art. It is one of the larger 'small' museums in the area and filled with many interesting exhibits. We were especially taken with the current 'traveling' exhibit which was a series of 'flipped' photos taken in and around the various Disney parks. A very striking study. We also spent a lot of time in the Asian pottery rooms. One exhibit not to miss is the 'New Acquisitions' room. The Nick Cave Soundsuit is an real treat to the eyes. But, by far, our favorite exhibit was the one highlighting works of local students, ranging from kindergarten through high school. It is so wonderful to see the talent of these kids and to wonder which of them will go on to become prominent artists. We enjoyed our two hours at this museum and can recommend it to those people who need to come down after days at the theme parks.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Our family (two parents and two kids aged 3 & 7) got an annual pass last year sight unseen in hopes of enjoying the museum on multiple visits, as well as others in the co-op. Unfortunately, we only visited OMA the one time, as it was quite small, and with minimal attraction for the kids. There is a small kids' area, with space to do a rubbing and build with blocks, but honestly even that area held more attraction for my husband than my kids. The kids' area is also in direct sun via a fully-glass wall, which has caused all the materials in that area (picture books especially) to become quite faded and sun-damaged.

We are locals, and I can imagine bringing the kids back every year or two, but not any more than that.

On the upside, I did personally very much enjoy the glass and the contemporary collection.

1  Thank Liz B
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The collections shown in these two rooms are really wonderful to see. Normally hidden in peoples' homes, it's fun to see these pieces. More Asian pieces than I would have expected, but really beautiful to see and appreciate. It's worth a spin through the museum.