“Hilton Orlando- AWESOME!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, United States
“Hilton Orlando- AWESOME!”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The Hilton Orlando is a fantastic place to stay if you are visiting the city. The facilities are amazing and the staff works diligently to provide top-notch customer service. The pool area and lazy river make you want to just stay at the hotel and relax the day away!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (930)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
connecticut, United States
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Room is quiet and very clean. Had good night sleep every day. We didn't use the resort pool because the wether is bit chilly, but walked around it to enjoy the scene. The only drawback is the free internet is bit slow, but since we were so busy outside to explore the theme parks, that was not a big issue overall.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I have another trip advisor account I use regularly, however, this review is so poor that I am still in disbelief about my stay. I travel regularly for business and personal, and as a former concierge, and now hospitality professional, am shocked.

First impressions:
Check in-husband told to wait in lobby as I was in spa. They had cc on file, and his name was on reservation, but because I had the card physically, he waited two hours. Ok, fine, I completely get it. But my ROOM WAS ALREADY PAID FOR as I booked "an amazing deal" (insert sarcasm) through Hilton Grand Vacations.

We then waited another 2 hours for our luggage, with no explanation. Husband saw luggage sitting at bell desk, and bellman standing there- DOING NOTHING. He asked to grab his luggage so our kids could FINALLY use the pool as we have been there since noon. He was told "this is a full-service hotel, we insist on taking your luggage". He responded with " I see that, but I have been waiting 2 hours for it, and we have been here FOUR".

The Spa was fantastic, I would recommend-as a side-note.

Hotel room:
Small, and some housekeeping issues. I had hairs in my bathroom and tub from cleaning staff and lamp shades were dusty. These are normal issues that arise in any hotel when you have over-worked staff who don't have time to pay attention to details. I also believe I booked a room with a pull-out sofa, to be told we cannot even put a cot in the room. We were four in the room. This could be a reservation error, as I was very clear on the number of guests I was traveling with, ages, etc. My teenage son and daughter got to, guess what-share a bed. I wasn't the only one who this happened to. People talk at the hot tub, you know...

Service:
Well, after 2 days at the hotel and not being able to sleep due to noise from some sort of mysterious knocking or banging in the walls of our bedroom (pipes??!-not sure) I went to the Starbucks to grab two coffees. The counter attendant, after giving me my coffees and in front of a line up of people said "Maam, there is a problem with your room and I cant charge it"
I was embarrassed, for sure, but then she swung THE SCREEN AROUND showing my NAME. I said "There must be an issue with the front desk, I know my card is fine as it is unlimited". She then proceeds to say "No, I cannot charge the coffee, THIS DOLLAR SIGN means that you don't probably have enough credit on your credit card left (FOR TWO COFFEES??!! add embarrassment, not to mention the blatant privacy violation). I left my coffees and called guest services, and then went to the front desk to speak with the young man who checked us in. He apologized and did show hospitality and ownership for the problem. I was very upset and wanted to leave. He offered to send a pot of coffee up, which was a good resolution to the issue. He again swiped my credit card and assured me no problems that it is fine.

There were other service issues with towels, (as mentioned by another person) cold food at the lounge (at this point, we stopped even caring-we were hungry and we are not the easiest to please but by far not the most difficult either, however we just took this as par for the course).

Of positive notes were the bar staff-very friendly and kind-all of them (at the pool). Efficient.

So anyhow, on to my biggest complaint. After thinking all is resolved, guess what-the last day of our stay, STILL had issues charging a dinner to the room. GO FIGURE.
They finally resolved it at 2 pm in the afternoon, the final day of my stay.

The facilities:
Are impressive, of course-the pool is wonderful and hot tub. the spa is impressive. The sheer magnitude of the property is breathtaking and the location is wonderful.

BUT-if you cannot relax on your HOLIDAY, this means nothing.
If you are worried about making a room charge, you are not relaxed.
If you are wondering if your room is made up or not (which it wasn't one night for some reason...) you don't relax.
If you are embarrassed beyond belief about your personal info and apparently lack of credit at the hotel being announced to the public you are not relaxed.

THE BEST PART...
I explained all of this to the Hilton Holiday people who were trying to sell me a timeshare. I told them, flat out, that before we get down to business and they ask me to cough up thousands and thousands of dollars, that I really need to resolve the concerns I have about the property I am at right now.
They seemed to listen, even seemed to care...the nice man who was helping us got the manager. Asked to hear what happened (finally-I think I am getting somewhere...) and after spilling our guts and explaining the money we spent on this trip (food, fees, and hotel) could have got our family an all-inclusive elsewhere, ANYWHERE and that the point is, we are not comfortable for all of the reasons above...

...he tells me to "fill out a comment card-I should definitely do that".

Well thank-you, genius.

Needless to say, I am already planning my next quick getaway at a hotel I trust locally this weekend to really relax.

If you are still reading this, what I would reccomend to travellers are:

this is a business/conference/group hotel that happens to cater to families.
This is not a hotel to relax at. If you are looking for a place to do lots of activities, and also enjoy the pool/hot tub then it isn't too bad. But you can do this anywhere-there are other great facilities with a "great pool" that I have stayed at that A) dont charge for internet, hidden fees, parking (16 dollars a day) and can't seem to get your check in right or your luggage delivered.

This is why *I* personally will not stay here again as it doesn't suit my personal family needs for a vacation, and I felt there was a big lack of hospitality training with many of the team members/short-staffed at times. Lastly, sharing my personal information, including name and room number with a group of people was the straw that broke the camel's back for me (along with publicly embarrassing me).

I had no resolution offered, again, I am assuming because I "got a deal" where I could stay at a discounted rate. I spent two hundred in your spa, another 200 in additional fees, paid over 400 for my room for four nights. I get it-I am not a VIP guest, I am justthe "average traveller" and yes, was completely made to feel like that, thank you for the sub-par experience. My advice would be to think about the long-term, that I travel to Florida every year and AM shopping for a possible timeshare, but will not choose Hilton because of this.

PS-I did make a notation on my file with guest services that my son's birthday was New Years Day. I stayed at two Hilton properties this day (checked out on NYD from Orlando, drove north and checked in to another property) and BOTH times no one, NO one even wished him a happy birthday, sent a piece of cake to the room..anything...
I was at a four diamond property and this was pretty much the standard for us-the cost of a slice of cake to a teenage kid travelling on his birthday is pretty much priceless.

5 Thank ang b
The_Hilton_Orlando, Manager at Hilton Orlando, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear ang b,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. Based on the various issues discussed in your review, we have sent you a private message to ask you to give us a call to discuss your review. Your review has been discussed with all my Leaders. as it touches on every aspect of the hotel, for their action and staff training. Again, we hope that you will call us. Regards, the Hilton Orlando
Lake City, United States
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Spent a nice Christmas with my family. After spending a few nights here, I left primarily thinking this was a quiet stay. Even though they were full I heard no one else once we closed the door to our room. The stay was enjoyable the room was exactly as advertised and they even fulfilled the commitment of adjoining rooms. The only real issue was check out. Huge lines and I had to do some credit card shifting so I couldn't use the speed check out system. In room wifi was not great. Would not stream even Hulu. Email was fine. Over all a good experience and would repeat it.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The hotel is situated within walking distance of the Orange County Convention Center. I was there for a business trip so it served it's purpose. For the most part the hotel is clean, nicely furnished and the international staff is quite personable. My only issues were the high price of internet, resort fees, expensive dining options on property. However, there are numerous choices within walking distance or a short cab ride away. My room wasn't prepped properly as there was a turd in the toilet bowl. Unbelievable, but true. By the way, there is no heat option in the guest rooms. So, if it's unseasonably cool, pile on the extra blankets.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TheDiva2
The_Hilton_Orlando, Manager at Hilton Orlando, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear TheDiva2,
Thank you for your recent review posted on Trip Advisor. We are very disappointed to read of the issues you encountered during your stay. I have shared your posting with my entire Leadership team focusing mainly with the Housekeeping and Property Operations Leaders for their comment, action and staff training. We are always listening to our guests and we appreciate the time you took to write your posting. We hope that you will give us another chance the next time your travels bring you to Orlando. Regards, the Hilton Orlando
england
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Great facilities. Lol crazy river, basketball, executive putting green to name a few. Our 3rd stay here and would highly recommend. The location is good as well with easy access to the freeway to get to Disney and a short hop to Universal, Sea World, Mall of Millennium and premium outlets.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: ask for a pool view