“Great golf trip”

Waldorf Astoria Orlando
Ranked #28 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Stayed for 5 days in Dec 2011 for a golf trip. The golf club and course was very good. We signed up for the unlimited golf package which included basically everything (green fees, cart and rental clubs if you need them and driving range). All in all, pretty much got what we expected, a first class hotel and fine golf. Pool and gym were nice as well. You have valet parking mandatory for $20/nite, and we were surprised though that they didn't have a tennis court, as it is on their map on their website. The closest one is 15 minutes away if you want tennis. The food was very good, but limited and their sushi restaurant was not open. Very convenient to Disney parks, etc. I've stated in Orlando at just about every Disney property over the past 15 years, but this was first time at the Waldorf. Would recommend it also for kids (they didn't make this trip) if you want a really nice place to stay, and can get a good deal.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank HTExec

Reviewed 4 December 2011

Our room was quite nice. We had a Waldorf suite, and a connecting room with 2 queens. This was plenty of space for us (3 adults and 2 kids).

Here are the good things: plenty of space, nice decor (not 5 star, but nice), very nice bathrooms, breakfast buffet was really good and had EVERYTHING, use of pool at the hilton hotel next door was super for our kids with the kiddie pool area and lazy river, plus a big slide. Free coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning was nice and convenient. Location within Disney World is great, we took cabs everywhere and had no problem

Here are the not so good: housekeeping was pretty bad. we left the robes on the floor one day, because the kids spilled some juice on them and we wanted the maids to take them to be washed. well, the maid NEVER picked it up off the floor. After the first day she left it there, it was a game to me to see if she would ever pick it up, nope never, lol. It was just left in a dirty pile in the bedroom. The showers are starting to have mold/mildew stains in the grout. This is a fairly new hotel, and mold/mildew in the bathrooms should not be a problem yet for sure. The maids need to buddy up to a bottle of clorox and a scrub brush. I could tell they clean around your stuff, instead of picking things up and doing a thorough cleaning. We were there a week, so I expect at least one very thorough cleaning during a week stay.

The 'kitchenette' had zero supplies. No dishes, no silverware, only a couple of glasses. there was no microwave. The only thing it had was a bar to sit at to eat room service, a fridge, and a sink. This is not very helpful if you planned on buying supplies to feed the kids in the room. otherwise what is the use of the kitchen? The whole reason I paid for a suite was to eat in the room a few times, to give the kids a break from restaurants, and give us adults a break from making the kids sit still in restaurants. we ended up order a lot of room service which was good, but expensive and it is such a waste to spend that kind of money on dinners for 2 kids under 5 years old. same for breakfast. $30 buffet when my kids are just as happy with a bowl of cereal in the room before Disney is just a waste of money. but with no bowls and no spoons it just didn't work. the gift/sundries shop didn't even carry a small bottle of dish soap so I could wash baby bottles in the 'kitchen' sink! This mattered to us as we were there for a full week

The service overall was just ok. Nothing special, nothing terrible.

So, the reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 3, is that I have a feeling there isn't anywhere nicer to stay in Disney World at this price. The Grand Floridian was twice the price, as were a couple other of the 5 star Disney properties, but I read that they are in dire need of updating (one of my pet peeves in a hotel). Would i stay here again? Probably because I just don't see the point of spending double on a trip to Disney. The kids had just as much fun and it was nice to be a little bit away from the craziness of Disney once you left the park.

Room Tip: the disney view was great, although I would not pay for it, we got it as free upgrade. you can see...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank ingipg
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I recently returned from a lovely stay at the Waldorf Astoria. We arrived at about 10:30 on a Friday morning and were not only able to check in immediately, but were also upgraded to a suite. Everything about the room was wonderful, particularly the espresso maker, the enormous shower, and the comfortable bed. The buffet breakfast was included in our package, and we thought it was delicious. I really enjoyed the made to order crepes and the unusual blends of fruit juices. We had pedicures at the spa, which were fabulous. The transportation to Disney World was nice. We took it to the parks both days, but ended up taking cabs back, because we missed the last shuttle one night and didn't want to wait the other night. We did not use the pool at the Waldorf, but we did use the pool at the Hilton next door, which I highly recommend. The lazy river and the water slide were both so much fun, even for adults. Overall it was a great stay at a great hotel. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2011

My husband and I travel all the time; from Italy to London and Paris, from San Antonio to New York City, there is no better hotel than the Waldorf Astoria in Orlando.

We booked our trip through the hotel site, and my husband made a note of calling in to say it was our anniversary before we arrived. When we did, we were greeted by the people at the front desk with a warm, "Happy anniversary!" Then they told us we were upgraded to a suite overlooking the golf course. What an amazing room! Spotless, timeless furniture, huge bathroom, a bed so amazing you won't want to get out of, comfortable bathrobes that hug, and soft slippers to help those achy feet feel better after a long day at Disney! We also arrived in our room to complimentary chocolate covered strawberries and champagne.

The staff was so helpful. They really try and take care of their guests. Anytime we had a question, they were there with an answer. We at the the Bull Bear, which had excellent service and delicious steak. It also has a side with windows, so if you're eating there at night, you can see Disney fireworks from the windows while you eat. We also ordered room service, and let me say that their room service has THE best food! I tried their waffle and also a grilled chicken burger. Both dishes were delicious. On one evening, they had a chocolate bar set up next to the bar. I tried their chocolate truffle and a chocolate mousse; they were simply divine. It was fun to see the array of beautiful chocolate treats set up around the table.

We loved the Shuttle that would take us to all the Disney Parks, and runs about every 30 minutes. --The only down side to this was that the shuttle is shared by the Hilton next door and always stopped there first. If the shuttle would take turns stopping at the Waldorf first sometimes, I'd feel it was more fair than always picking & dropping off the Hilton guests first.

We were able to play around in the gym, and all their equipment is very up to date and clean. We didn't get to swim since it was pretty cool, but the pool is heated, so if you're from a cooler climate and think nothing of Orlando winters, you will certainly enjoy the pool! Also, you are free to use the Hilton pool next door which has an awesome slide!

I have to add, coming back from the fun-filled chaos of DIsney to our relaxing hotel made this trip amazing for us. There was never any noise that kept us up, and it was the right type of environment that made our stay very serene. I definitely felt safe at the Waldorf, and that's one of the main things I look for when I do go there.

I will be heading back this coming January to the hotel for a 4 night stay with my best girl friends. It will be a birthday/reunion event for us, so I'll keep you posted on how the Waldorf does this time around. :)

Room Tip: If it's a special occasion, tell them! They genuinely try to make your day even better!
2  Thank Aena D
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We usually stay in SPG, but this hotel was the best upscale hotel in Orlando, if you are going for the sun, palms, upscale bar with live music, upscale room, good service, nice spa, etc. - this hotel is IT!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Teta W
Reviewed 23 November 2011

My husband and I just came back from a stay at the Waldorf Orlando and it was a overall great experience. The front desk staff was always willing to help in any way they could. The first day we got there the pool staff was very attentive to our needs,however the second day the guy who was at the pool was no where to be found, and showed little to no attention to us or anyone else. At the poolside bar the bartender who's name is Ryan was absolutely amazing!! His drinks were great and he was very nice. The only thing we were not happy about at all was our first night stay. We called the front desk and asked about the bars and restaurants in the hotel where we would be able to have a little bite and some drinks. The gentleman who answered right away geared us to go next door to the hilton saying that the bar there stays open till 2am as to where the Waldorf bars/restaurants close 11pm and sooner. So we felt we had no choice and went to the bar in the hilton as he suggested and the service we got was HORRIBLE! We asked the bartender if he had a certain kind of liquor and he said no, we then asked if he had another kind of liquor and he again said no and walked away without even suggesting something else or just to make an effort. After that my husband and I didn't feel welcome there at all so we got up and left. We then went to the italian restaurant at the hilton which was a bit better but i have to say the drinks were bad, we had to ask if there was any liquor in the drinks cause it tasted like pure coke in my husbands rum and coke and mine tasted like sweet lime water instead of a mojito. After we finished there we went back to our hotel and looked at the restaurant there called Bull and Bear and when we went in and asked what time they closed the nice guy at the front told was 11pm but if you are here enjoying yourself we will stay open for you. My husband and I both said we wish we had known cause we would have went there to sit at the bar have a couple drinks and a little bite instead of going to the hilton and having such a bad experience. We just wished that the guy at the front desk would have suggested the restaurants at the Waldorf instead of pushing us to the hilton and making it sound like the hilton restaurants and bar was our only choice.

Overall the hotel itself was truly amazing and we look forward to staying at the waldorf on our next trip to Orlando.

1  Thank StacieL2011
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I had some business in Orlando and decided to tack on a "make-up" 50th birthday trip after earlier plans had to be canceled. I searched for a nice hotel to create a special memory for my wife and me and discovered the W/A. I'm an HHonors member and booked through their site with a note regarding the birthday celebration.

We showed up and were greeted with a hearty "happy birthday" and an upgrade to a very nice suite. 30 minutes after we got to our room, the wine and a note from the manager arrived wishing is happy birthday and a pleasant stay. The greeting set the tone for a wonderful 5 day stay. We found the hotel staff consistently pleasant and helpful.

The room lay-out is very comfortable, the hotel lobby is beautiful, workout center is large and complete. Plenty of restaurant options on property, large pool with attentive attendents. We didn't take advantage of the on-site spa on this trip.

Loved - the warmth and effort of the staff, Bull and Bear, immaculate grounds, workout center (water and clean towels at all the aerobic gear), drinks in Peacock Alley, the value (we were there in "off-season", but the room rate was LOW given the quality of the experience).

Didn't love - the property is pretty close to hwy 4 and for the suites facing that direction, the balcony will be noisy (with the door closed, there is no outside noise at all), we ran into some inconsistent service in Aquamarine - slow bringing correct size spoons, incorrect orders. Very pleasant servers - just not as sharp as what we experienced in other parts of the W/A.

Here's the bottom line - for the money, this property is the best hotel experience my wife and I have had. Don't come expecting 4 Seasons or Ritz (you won't be paying near the money you would at those place) - this W/A is not as formal and precise as those icons, but I don't think that's what they're trying to do. This is Orlando and the W/A is warm, comfortable, clean, friendly, easy and...worth the trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the golf course side - better view and quiter
2  Thank Tomtri