We live in Jacksonville Beach and usually go for weekend trips to Orlando and Miami. We like modern boutique hotels and it is difficult to find boutique hotels in Orlando. We decided to stay at the Waldorf Astoria, because it is one of the best hotels in the city with modern rooms, good location, dining and spa. We booked the hotel through our American express platinum.
Check in was great, the receptionist was very friendly, unfortunately they didn't have available upgrades or early check in that we usually get with American express but we had a luxury suite, so we didn't care.
The room was very spacious, the décor was a little bit outdated for our style, but it is similar to many hotels in Orlando. We didn't have Walt Disney view, however the views from our floor were very nice, especially at sunset.
We decided to go to the Bull & Bear restaurant for dinner, the restaurant was nice, we had a host reviewing the menu and the specials for dinner. He made several comments about how young we were, like if we didn't belong there, but we didn't give too much importance. We were not offered bread and we didn't have knives for the steaks, but after a few minutes we were able to get them. Once we finished our dinner, we had to wait about 10 minutes to get the dessert menu, which we requested, we didn't see our host all this time. We decided to have dessert at the lobby as they had a chocolate fountain, so the waitress brought us the check, we paid and we left. All this without seeing our host, we didn't see him for the last 15-20 minutes. When we were about to leave the restaurant we hear our host running to the entrance and calling us, at this time many people were entering the restaurant. He asked us if we were coming back, we said no because we were going to have dessert at the lobby and then he asked us for a form of payment.
We were absolutely mortified as there were many people around us. We just spent over $200 in dinner, if he saw us leaving the restaurant, he should have gone to the table first, see if we had paid or not and then run to find us, especially after being missing for 20 minutes. The overall experience of the hotel was good, but this gave us a very poor impression of the service at the restaurant and it bugged us the all stay.
When we checked out, the receptionist asked us how was dinner at the Bull & Bear and eventhough we don't usually complain and we didn't complain at the restaurant, we told him what happen and he just said "I am sorry about that, can I get your car now?". We were not expecting to get anything, however he could have said that he would talk to the restaurant manager, so it doesn't happen again.
Despite the incident at the restaurant, the hotel is one of the best in Orlando. I am staying next weekend at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago.
We had a haircut and manicure at the Spa, the décor is very modern and sophisticated and the locker room with sauna, jacuzzi and refreshments were very relaxing, highly recommended.
We had buffet breakfast and it was excellent, great food selections, great variety of juices, highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A contemporary, luxury resort surrounded by the gates of Disney theme parks, Waldorf Astoria® Orlando is nestled in a peaceful 482-acre nature preserve near the Walt Disney World® Resort. The hotel’s elegant setting includes fine resort amenities like the award-winning Waldorf Astoria® Golf Club, the luxe Waldorf Astoria® Spa, a formal swimming pool with private cabanas, and access to more than a dozen dining and lounge experiences, including an outpost of New York City’s famed Bull & Bear. The hotel features 498 deluxe rooms and suites, and nearly 42,000 square feet of exclusive flexible meeting space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Southall Travel, Agoda, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Orlando reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waldorf Astoria Orlando Hotel Orlando
- Waldorf Astoria Orlando Florida