“Good from Satrt to Finish”

Waldorf Astoria Orlando
Ranked #25 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Jacksonville, Florida
“Good from Satrt to Finish”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We usually stay next door at the Hilton but the hubs wanted to do something different for the anniversary we were celebrating. We had a very nice room with balcony (which turned out to be great for viewing fireworks at the parks) and the staff could not have been more welcoming or courteous throughout the stay. Everyone on the property we encountered greeted us, etc. and were very customer service oriented. Housekeeping was unobtrusive and on top of everything. The property has plenty of amenities--the expansive pool area, restaurant, bars, nice fitness center and spa. Valet response time was surprisingly good. Overall, we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: As with anything, think about your objectives and times you are choosing to stay. This is near Disne...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Karima A, Front Office Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear MrsH0dges,

Thank you for the five-star review! As a Top Contributor on TripAdvisor, we sincerely value your feedback and love that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope you'll choose us over the Hilton next time, too!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (915)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Just checked in... First impressions a beautiful property but the staff oh my... Huston we have a problem. First room was so heavily doused with air freshened that my eyes burned and I got a headache from hell just sitting there for 10mins, I rang and asked for them to send someone to see what I was talking about, they refused but helpfully suggested I go looking for a room that didn't smell, despite being on crutches. Not exactly my idea of fun plus surely the point of staying in a nice place is to be given a room that doesn't require a gas mask in order to sleep. Clearly I was considered a royal pain in the .... Next room the bathroom smells of rotten eggs, carcasses etc but the ever so delightful bell man told me in no uncertain terms that there is no smell. To cap it all off despite requesting a room close to the elevator as I am recovering from sprained ankle plus other foot broken & hobbling on crutches, they have given me a room right at end of hallway, bellman snapping at me all the way saying it's ONLY 100 now 50 now 30YARDS!!!! Housekeeping have visited my room and they have been lovely and obviously care about customer service. So far very unimpressed except with housekeeping & from just few hours I've been here, I now understand why rooms are so heavily discounted. The GM should immediately look into these issues as all over trip advisor same theme. It's a real pity as this is a beautiful hotel with an impressive lobby area, lovely spa and grounds, very quiet luxurious feel. They have all the ingredients to make it a true five star experience but a good portion of the staff seem reluctant to show you that. We all know hiccups happen at any place you visit, it's how the hotel respond to issues that truly shows a five star resort is. Yes there is a resort fee but it does include wi-fi and calls etc, you have to leave your car with the valet and it's about $26/27 a day plus tip...but it's hot as hell so you will be happy they have a valet! I don't think I would visit again,not with Ritz and Four Seasons nearby.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank tani267
Karima A, Front Office Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear tani267,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your arrival process. Since you last wrote this, I know that you've been in contact with our management team, and advised us that your stay is going well. We are happy to hear that we were able to recover the situation for you. Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Waldorf Astoria Orlando
Eustis, Florida
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed here for some retreat time away from work and was highly disappointed. The view of the hotel was very nice and staff were very welcoming. I think if I were to base my review off of the staff it would get 85% approval, however the staff was not what was horrible about my stay. The room was not ready at the time of my arrival so I waited by the pool till I was contacted that things were ready. When I arrived at the "pool" it was horrible, kids running out of control, damaged chairs, towels all over the place and horrible movement around the pool.When I returned the next day, (because maybe it was just a busy day) things were worst!! Asked for management and waited, finally gave up after an hour and left. This place needs and upgrade. Not like the Waldorf in New York and should be ashame to carry the name.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank Debrah G
Dear Debrah G,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an honest review of your stay. We are happy to hear of our high service levels, but we apologize that the pool was not as quiet or relaxing as you expected. We hope you visit us again soon, when maybe the busyness of the summer holiday is not as prevalent. We hope to make it up to you.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Wonderful check in experience, we had back to back reservations (one night points, one night pay) and they kept us in the beautiful 945 sq foot suite. Beautiful, elegant resort. Ultra-clean and beautiful every where you look. Staff are spectacular and anticipate your every need. Pool was nice as was lazy river pool at Hilton Bonnet Creek which is connected to Waldorf. For breakfast you must have the buffet at Oscar's on the first floor. Well worth it. Ate at pool bar, enjoyed it. You get what you pay for. Higher floors have great views and we had a balcony. We had no problem with a late check out and the free cocktails and in room movies for being a Gold HHonors member made it over the top. Will be back in December.

Room Tip: High floor for sure over look the nature reserve/golf course. They have a Disney fireworks view if y...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Karima A, Front Office Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear ProfPete34515,

A sincere thank you for the five-star review of your stay! We are thrilled that you were able to enjoy and partake in so many of our amenities! We cannot wait to have you stay with us again in the winter. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I may assist with your upcoming reservation.

Karima Abdel-Moty
Front Office Manager
karima.abdel-moty@waldorfastoria.com
Tate, Georgia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed here for a work function and was not disappointed.

The room was very comfortable and had a balcony which I appreciated but was too busy to use! Bummer! I loved my bedroom and the sitting area as a living room. The accommodations were lovely and the staff was super good.

The pool area was terrific- I love sitting by a pool and from 8-11 it was just about empty and so, so quite.

My room was kept clean, I was never interrupted by staff trying to come in to clean.... I don't really know how they do that. By the time I came back for the pool my room had been serviced.

I'd love to come back here with my husband.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Karima A, Front Office Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear MrsZimm,

Thank you for the lovely review of your time with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience here, and can't wait to have you stay with us again soon (with your husband!) for a strictly-leisure trip! You can spend all day on the balcony!
Cloverdale, Oregon
Reviewed 13 August 2014

There are so many things that went wrong with our stay I wont have enough room to go into detail I'm sure so here is the short story. The website did not work properly while trying to make our reservation so it was made by phone with a manager. They did not honor the rate I had on my reservation when we checked in which turned out to be over $750 difference for the entire reservation of 3 rooms. They did not give guest discount for cabana or offer any compensation when the pool was closed due to weather halfway through the day. The things they said were included with a cabana rental were not and the fruit served was moldy. A front desk girl was rude and couldn't care less about any concerns we had. The day manager was extremely rude and embarrassed us in front of other guests and staff by acting like we were causing problems and treating us like we were trash. We were very polite and patient. This same manager was also rude to us in the elevator before we talked to him about our issues. We had 3 rooms in our reservation and one had a fridge that needed service and another had a broken light in the entry. We had left some things in our room and after multiple calls and contact through the website with no response we decided to give up. We have also been in contact with the Waldorf since our stay in July to get some of the issues resolved. And after several weeks, multiple emails and dealing with multiple people we have not gotten a proper resolution. They pretty much don't care about customer satisfaction and just give the run around. I was waiting to give a review to see how they handled the issues because I did not want to give a completely bad review, but at this point they have earned this review for their terrible customer service. The Hilton needs to do some 'house cleaning' in this hotel and get better staff.

Room Tip: If traveling with kids, getting a larger room is worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank mwick123
Dear mwick123,

Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I appreciate your honesty and your comments regarding areas for improvement will help us to continually better the guest experience. I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of providing the best service for our guests. The next time you have the opportunity to travel, I hope that you will be our guest again and provide us with the opportunity to demonstrate the unparalleled service experience you deserve.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly, if I can be of any assistance.

Warm regards,

Karima Abdel-Moty
Front Office Manager
karima.abdel-moty@waldorfastoria.com
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Ok I Planned a big trip - it was our 20th anniversary and the pressure was on to get two teenagers a fun time in Disney without the only memory for my wife being roller coaster whiplash and sunburned ears. I went from thinking about renting a large motor home, wearing a floppy hat and driving around looking at all the side oddities like worlds biggest ball of string and staying at a Disney KOA as the grand finale, which is what I wanted to do - family togetherness, to flying and staying at the Waldorff. I don't usually write reviews and I poured all over the reviews of the choices in Orlando once I realized the KOA wasn't really the typical china 20 year anniversary gift, through hints from my wife. I wanted to stay at the Waldorf but was discouraged by some of the talk on cleanliness, service and pricing. In the end I did it anyway. We have stayed at most of the top notch hotels in the world which comes with living overseas for 16 years, and although all can have off reviews and a bad day here and there, the real top notch ones will be consistent and or willing to fix it right away so If you stay for more than one day you should be able to see the true quality. We had a 7 day stay and I can say that the Waldorf Orlando ranks up there with the best. Yes we had a check in problem, rooms not ready even though it was 6:30pm, and then to my disappointment no 20 anniversary note, small token, surprise for my wife in room as they said they would but in the big picture this was minor. We booked a King Waldorf with an adjoining queen deluxe for the kids - overall almost 2100 sqft ! Even though our rooms were not ready it took them 10 minutes to get us the same combo on another floor ( probably why the 20th anniversary gift did not make it) .

PROPERTY
The rooms were spacious, extremely clean and delighted my wife. She is the type that will clean up before the maid does the room and make the bed with me in it if I don't jump up quick so when the rooms and maid service pass her dust test that's something. Beds were very comfortable,pillows were exceptional, Bathrooms great and large TVs. The Hotel is giant and connects to the Hilton. Even with all the people, Kids it has a quiet comfortable feel with enough touch of class without being stuffy. There are many dinning options on property so I don't understand the review that there is only the Bull and Bear (which is great), the Hiltons bistro, the Italian, Peacock ally etc all were open late and good. So rooms great - property awesome. Breakfast at Oscars was casual and good start to day and all the servers were good and added personal touchs by remembering your name ( Diana, Dana ? did a good job) even if they were not serving you on the next day. Kids who are into sports and training for baseball used the very nice weight and gym facilities in the evening while I worked out by eating a sandwich nearby ( hey I am on holiday). Now about the service;

SERVICE
Don't worry about trying to find out which ticket deals or which park to go to. Just go to the Waldorf guest services. We had a lady named Shannon, Savanna ?- who was excellent. She was so pleasant, knew everything about the parks, was genuinely into the rides and the age of our kids and what they would like. She was so good at it, passionate and knowledgeable about the parks, I wanted her job. She talked to us in detail about which rides to hit and where to go and booked us tickets accordingly on the spot at very competitive prices. We were there 7 days and she got us everything we wanted way cheaper and tailored to us than the park websites and other online "deals". Jessica in the nice airy Peacock Ally served us late a couple of nights and again was a joy. Polite, professional, pleasant to the kids and adults alike. We had an order that was slightly wrong, she fixed it and took it off our bill and we did not even say anything, as a matter of fact she almost took it out of my mouth as I was going to eat it anyway as it was a minor difference but she wanted it to be right. We rented a Cabana one day and stayed at the pool as we all were suffering vacation trauma a bit from too much park fun on day three. Clair was our Cabana assistant and she was all smiles, working hard and even though she was tied up trying to deal with a large little kids party she still got to all of us and made us comfortable. There was another girl Samantha Sp? on duty as well working the rest of the pool and really working hard but smiling all the time. Both made the kids fill welcome as well. The Waldorff Pool was fairly quiet and relaxing with the Hilton Pool and lazy river more for kids. Just to make sure we tied everything we also had room service late one night and the older gentleman (forgot name) that delivered it was full of energy and very helpful. In fact, the people we ran into were all friendly, service oriented, kid friendly and after a day or too started calling us by name which added to the warm feel which is unusual for some 5 star hotels we have stayed in around the world.

LOCATION
If you want Disney, you in it and its right there with free shuttles, get a room with Disney view and you can see all parks laid out in front of you with fireworks each night. But you can hit Universal pretty easily as well with the quick town car service or taxi that is easy and quick to get at the hotel. They were always right there and took about 15 min to get to Universal (if traffic not heavy). All prices were fixed and although using a town car is more than the free bus for the Disney parks it was quick clean and efficient for Universal and picked us up late when we wanted each night as we closed the parks. We were pleasantly surprised with Universal as we have been to Disney before and with 15/16 year olds, Universal and Water parks was their favorite.

VALUE
Yes its a bit pricey but to the reviews about hidden charges, costs and extras I can say we didn't see that. Every charge was explained on their website and explained again at check in. In the big picture and for where you are the value is pretty competitive compared to other 5 star properties in the world. I also don't understand the reviews that this is not a 5 star. (It has an 18 hole golf course as well). Yes there are more extreme 5 stars in the world but there are a lot of 5 stars not near the Quality of the Waldorf Astoria in the world as well. This is definitely a 5 star hotel. You pay for what you get generally and I can say although more expensive than some properties in the area it was in the ball park.

Excellent fairly new property, Excellent service ethic, great rooms, - great 7 day stay. All hotels have a few wobbly moments but the good ones fix them if they happen and make you feel good about your stay - the Waldorf Astoria Orlando delivered.

If you are getting shell shocked trying to pick from the many fine hotels in the Orlando area, rest assured you will have a great stay with the Waldorf without sacrificing Kid friendliness or Disney feel. WE WILL DEFINETLY RETURN TO THIS PROPERTY.

Oh and for all you other husbands out there, yes I was able to pull off a 20th anniversary surprise with a restfull stay at a world class hotel for my wife while at the same time tearing up all the parks with the kids. Probably a better choice than the old motor home, floppy hat and KOA stay. ( that's next year though)

Room Tip: All rooms have nice views but the Disney views give you fireworks every night - try their junior and...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Bradelaine
Dear Bradelaine,

Wow! Thank you for the incredible five-star review of your stay! We are beyond thrilled and almost speechless at the time you took to write your review, and cannot thank you enough for writing such a thorough and honest recounting of your stay.

We are delighted that this anniversary was memorable for you and your family, and we love that you were able to experience True Waldorf Service all throughout the property. We have passed along your experience to our team members, so that they may all get the recognition they deserve for continuously going above and beyond.

And in our opinion, you should come back next year, too! KOA can wait!

The Team at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando