“Set the standard”

GreenLeadersGold level
Tucson, AZ
“Set the standard”
Reviewed 31 May 2010

We loved this new property at Disney World. The service was exceptional. We used the in room dining, bell staff, concierge, laundry and of course housekeeping services. All were performed with a high level of professionalism, courtesy and efficiency. Room and bathroom were very spacious. Furniture including bed was very comfortable. Bathroom had separate tub and shower which was nice. Having a quiet room is important to me and ours was very quiet. Only complaints: not enough pillow selections, so had trouble finding a comfortable one. Also, it is located just slightly outside the Disney property and shares a bus with the new next door Hilton and schedules are not as frequent as we would have liked. This is a minor complaint, however. Not too many kids, so it was pretty quiet, even at the pool. I would highly recommend this property, especially for adults only. For families, the Hilton looked like a better choice for food and pool.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (905)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tampa
Reviewed 27 May 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando last month on our first weekend getaway since our youngest child was born. The time for these trips is difficult for us to find, and we were very disappointed in our stay. Our visit was from March 25th to March 28th. We chose the Waldorf because we wanted to simply relax and take advantage of the hotel amenities.

It is hard to explain, but the vibe of the hotel was awkward. Everyone was trying to be nice, and the luxury suite was absolutely beautiful, but it never felt welcoming. When we first arrived, we were greeted at the check-in counter with “Welcome to the… (long pause) Waldorf Astoria… we really appreciate your brand loyalty”. We laughed about this on the way up to our room because she thanked us for being loyal to a brand that we have never visited before, and one which she could barely remember the name of. We didn’t think anything of it until our experiences the rest of the weekend.

As I mentioned, our plan for the weekend was to never leave the hotel since it offered all of the amenities we were looking for. I don’t want to write a book, or sound hyper-critical, but here are some of our experiences:

- The lobby bar was the epitome of stuffy. We tried it a few times… one time I received a terrible poor from the bartender who corrected my pronunciation of a scotch (twice), and the second time we were never greeted after sitting there for over 20 minutes.

- The pool area was beautiful, but on the first morning we had to listen to loud maintenance workers while shifting from lounge chair to lounge chair as they updated the lights. The following day, when the pool was busy, there was one server for the entire area, and getting a drink was an effort.

- When we ordered room service, we were given an exact time the food was going to be delivered, unfortunately it came 25 minutes later and was completely cold.

- We were told Sir Harry’s had a nice selection of drinks, but it was never open.

- Our dinner at the Bull & Bear steakhouse was mostly pleasant. The service was great, the oysters and the carpaccio were amazing, and I enjoyed my scallops. Unfortunately my wife’s filet that she ordered medium-rare came out medium-well. The server was sympathetic and wanted to replace it, but we wanted to eat together rather than watching each other eat, so she kept it. We also ordered the soufflé, and were told it would take about 20 minutes to prepare… it ended up coming out 50-55 minutes later because we were told the first 2 had collapsed as they were being made. The waiter was fully aware and apologetic for the situation, which wasn’t his fault, but never offered to do anything with our bill. The funny thing is that as we were walking out, the manager asked us if we enjoyed everything, and we mentioned that the filet was overcooked, and his reply was shockingly, “yeah, that happens from time to time, have a nice night”.

- We really enjoyed the very challenging golf course, but again had a weird experience in the restaurant there. We sat down at a table and were the only ones there. The server, who was seemingly doing side work behind the bar, never came over to greet us. After 15 minutes, I walked over to the bar and grabbed some pastries and coffee which were out.

- We ended up walking over to the Hilton, and had somewhat better experiences there, but they also seemed confused and understaffed.

(Note: I sent these comments to the general manager, Micheal King, and he sent us a letter offering a free room upgrade if we decide to come back... yippee! hahaha!)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 26 May 2010

There were a few elements that met the Waldorf standard, but even more shortcommings. Poor rooms design--move desk to access PC plug, etc.... Staff was indifferent. No bell service at arrival. Slow check in. Small room. Dreadful in-room lighting. Dreadful parking lot view. Only positve note was the comfortable bed.

2 Thank FreqTravDaddy
Maryland
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The Waldorf is a great hotel. I was concerned that others have compared it to its more notable siblings. Well it may not match their status, it exceeds the current standard in Orlando. Great greens. Great gym. Great food. Beautiful property. Get a view of the Disney resort for the nightly fireworks.

Misses for me. Free PC to checkin @ airline had no connectivity. Forced you to use Business Office. In the business office you have to pay to print your boarding pass. Whats up with that ? You buy minutes of time plus and each page costs a minute of your time. Add in the fact the printers had no paper. I had to raid the copier in the adjacent room for paper before my 10 minute session ran out. This seems ridiculous for such a expensive property as this. You should pay if you are printing a novel but a one page boarding pass. Come on now.

No mini-bar BUT you get a roomy Sub-Zero to stock your own. So I think I like this better.

Valet is your only option unless you want to hump it over to the Hilton self park. Not a bad walk in decent weather AND not bags. Will suck if it is humid. Which hardly ever happens in Orlando. Plus side, the valets guys work there butts off. As with all valet plan for peak departures like Sunday morning departure.

Overall great experience and WOULD stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
New Orleans
Reviewed 14 May 2010

The Positives:
The hotel is beautiful when you pull in. The flowers and the property are absolutely georgious. The location is fantastic and the disney shuttle is very nice. Upon entering the hotel, the lobby is beautiful and exudes luxury. The off lobby bar, called Sir Harrys is really nice. The bartender was great and it was not too crowded. The fitness center is first class and everything was working properly with a good variety. The pool area was nice and not overly crowded. The steakhouse restaurant is also beautiful and has a private club type feel.

The Neutral:
The room is acceptable, but not great. On par with other high end hotels, but really not special. To be expected, good bed, good towels, good bath products, but again not great or "the best ever". The restaurants are okay, but not special. Certainly not up to the standards set by the Ritz Carlton/JW Marriott Orlando that houses two top end restaurants (Norman's and Primo). They could really use a top level restaurant at this hotel. The Bull & Bear steakhouse was okay (asthetically it is beautiful), but in my opinion the food is not up to the standards of a Ruths' Chris or Flemings Prime, it was good, but not great. Certainly, a step down from Orlando's famous Charley's Steakhouse (maybe they could attract Charley's to take over the space)...

The negative:
Nobody opened the door for me when I walked in (and a doorman was standing there looking at me). The front desk attendant failed to make me feel welcome and did not provide me with the drink coupons, nor the bottled water that is mentioned on the Hilton Honors website. I visited the gift shop and the attendant did not even say hello, but just looked at me and continued to fold some t-shirts. All in all, the hotel did not remotely exude a home away from home feeling. It actually left me with a "cold" feeling.

I agree with the earlier comment of "stay at the Ritz instead" in Orlando. This hotel is beautiful, but just didn't make me feel like I was special. I believe that at this price level, you should feel like a "king". I felt much more like a "common citizen" than a member of the "royal family". Maybe a little more time will allow them to improve. In the mean time, I would make a different choice, unless you get a great deal...

At the end of the day, this is a nice hotel that will make most travelers happy. It just falls a little short of being truly great.

2 Thank MooneyPilot
Dallas
Reviewed 9 May 2010

This hotel was first class with elegance and service that puts a person on cloud nine. The staff awaits your stay and is proud to serve you with a smile. The room are very comfortable and very very clean. The food, serving a very large group, was of the highest quality and never over done nor under done. The steak restaurant was mouth watering. The staff is engaging and they are not at all put out by a request and in fact they want to serve you and provide the highest quality service they can. Lastly if you forget an item like I did they will hurry the product to you and are as concerned as you are about getting it back. To top it off they have a great fitness center.

orlando
Reviewed 5 May 2010

First, the good stuff: Beautiful, opulent and luxurious. Now the not so good. I reserved for a one night stay-cation with spa appts. The spa appts I reserved were noted incorrectly; I had wanted a combo facial and massage but they were booked as separate appts. The treatment rooms were wonderful, however, in the middle of my massage, someone from the outside unlocked and opened the door. Not good. The therapist was very apologetic, and the charge was removed but this should NEVER happen. They really push buying the products which I think is obnoxious. My facial person hovered around the check-out area and again pushed buying the products as she did in the middle of the service.
Then, when I checked in, I was assured that I had gotten the upgraded room; when I got up to the room, it was the same standard room that I booked. I was willing to pay the upgraded price, why did they screw this up? The room is lovely and clean, but no mini bar, no coffee maker, no bottled water (obviously, not the Ritz). Room Service was atrocious. No nice touches--no flower, nothing special. My order was pretty basic, burger and fries and a salad. The burger was dry, the salad had brown apples in it. My half bottle of wine ($54) was good. I had to check out early, (may have been fortunate), my invoice was prepared as requested but the front desk girl was as surly as they come. All in all, I left disappointed that I hadn't gone to the Ritz. For the prices they charge at the Waldorf, they need some serious polishing up.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo