“The good, the bad and the very, very ugly!”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #70 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“The good, the bad and the very, very ugly!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We had waited nearly 12 months to come on this holiday to mainly celebrate my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary, my 20th wedding anniversary and my sons 13th birthday. This was our 4th visit to Florida and we usually stay in private villa's with pools, but because we were celebrating such special occasions, as an extra special treat for us all we decided to go all crazy with our money and stay in Disney accommodation. well here goes, by the way..... if you get easily bored stop reading now, you have been warned!
THE GOOD....
i had requested a room near to hospitality because of my father-in-laws walking disability and the fact that we didn't hire a car, we got a room opposite the hospitality house and pool on peninsular road which i was very pleased with, we had the bus stop nearly right outside and hospitality was a five minute walk, great for my 78 year old father in-law!
The villa itself was beautiful and clean, on the second floor though, so we had noise from above and noise from next door (kids running around and shouting, scraping furniture etc, but hey - they are on holiday and at a WDW hotel so they are going to be excited to see Mickey and company! The villa had everything we needed, huge fridge freezer, television (the doors on the TV fold in on themselves inside the unit), spa bath, two showers, two toilets, washing machine and dryer, enough space for the 6 of us in our party without tripping over each other brilliant! You could look over the golf course from the balcony and see the fireworks at Epcot nearly every night.... lovely.
Staff at reception were very friendly and always said "welcome home!" staff elsewhere were also polite. The boat trip to Down Town Disney was just charming!
THE BAD........
We had the free Quick Service Dining Plan....... mmmmmmmm i certainly would not have paid for it! OKW is a huge sprawling resort, but it only has two places to eat - Olivia's and Goods (there is also a turtle shack but it was too far from where we were staying and its reviews were not good!) Goods is basically fast food..... great for my teen who would eat burgers everyday if he could and my hot dog loving nearly 9 year old.... but for me personally "yuk" i don't have a gall bladder (i know toooooooo much information but im trying to justify my reason why i disliked the food so much) anymore, so i have to eat healthily or else i get very ill (i wont go into detail because that would be way tooooooo much information!). Other members of my party also have high cholesterol too. I basically tried everything on Goods menu and to be honest, its either deep fried with a few exceptions or incredibly salty or overly sweet. The menu is very repetitive... the same stuff all the time, i ended up eating the chicken Caesar salad (minus the sauce and croutons) everyday for my tea, or the tuna sandwich and fruit bowl :( We didn't want to self cater because we were on holiday, plus we had no car to go to a supermarket and the choice of food at the general store was very limited and was either frozen, dried or tinned. We usually ate out all day in the parks and there is some decent choices! Epcot was fabulous especially because the food festival was on and we could use our dining plan for food at the various stands from around the world... brilliant! PS... even my kids got sick of the food at Goods... something i thought could never possibly happen!!!
The Disney transportation......... wow it is really slow and make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get to the parks if you have pre booked "fast pass rides". Being on Peninsular road, we were the first to be picked up.. great we always got a seat! the only downside to that was you were then on the bus ages going around all the other 4 bus stops to pick people up, i did say the place was huge! Hospitality is the last stop and people usually had to stand for their journey and its not a smooth ride! We waited so long for a bus to Animal Kingdom (which goes to Blizzard Beach first) that we lost our pre-booked fast pass rides, booooo! the kids were gutted, but we learned our lesson and gave ourselves plenty of time to get to parks. We were advised to get Taxi's to pre-booked shows by reception staff because of the transportation and they are not cheap! They use Mears taxi's so you don't get a choice.. Talking of Taxi's..... this is where i slightly go off on a tangent........ we booked tickets through "ticket master" for our in-laws to see Micheal Buble locally, the day before we got a text saying that my husband had to go with them because he had paid for their tickets with his card and that he needed to be there with his card and ID... this really confused me... what if we hadn't come on holiday with them and were still in England? so we called Ticket Master from reception and they said this was right and he had to go with them! So he went to the concert with them to show his ID and credit card..... it wasn't necessary at all, we got given the completely wrong information and it ended up costing us $150 in taxi money!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrr! I would therefore recommend a car! hahaha!
THE VERY, VERY UGLY........... Oh dear here we go.... During our second to last night my husband answered our door at 2130 to two security guys. I was in bed asleep, my kids were in bed watching a movie, my in-laws were at Epcot watching the fireworks... the only person in the villa main area was my husband and he was watching TV. The security guy's said they had had a complaint from a neighbour saying that we were making excessive noise! children screaming and running around, banging and scraping furniture...errr my children are 13 and almost 9, why would they be screaming and shouting? plus they were in bed, My husband promised them i was not us making the noise and suggested it was another apartment, but they weren't having any of that and they continued to accuse us, but eventually went, by the way we were all in bed by 2200 the latest most nights as there is 5 hours time difference between our countries and 2200 at night in Florida would be 0300 in the UK... come on.. My in-laws arrived back in at 2230 from Epcot and there was a knock at the door again, this time there were 4 or 5 (i cant remember exactly and he's not here to ask) security guards, they accused us again of making excessive noise but we weren't! by this stage my husband got very, very upset trying to claim our innocence and they still (despite having no evidence what so ever) didn't believe him and even accused him of getting aggressive towards them because he refused to appologise for something we had not done! My poor in-laws and my children - who had been woken by the noise were absolutely terrified!! They threatened to bring a Sheriff with them if they had to return for the third time!! They never came back, but nevertheless, my elderly in-laws, children and husband didn't sleep a wink all night because they were so scared and upset. when i woke in the morning and was informed of the nights "shenanigans" i was furious! We had put up with "noisy neighbours" for 2 weeks and never ever once complained, we were woken at 0700 every morning by the golf course maintenance men, we could hear screaming and shouting at 2230 at night from the pool across the way! So to be accused of something we did not do was absolutely heart breaking and disgusting, it absolutely ruined our holiday and for that reason we will never ever return to OKW again or even to a Disney property, we have never felt so scared and vulnerable whilst on a holiday in our lives! I complained to the duty manager "HOPE" at reception and she was terribly apologetic for the security guards threatening behavior towards my family and my poor husband. I have even thought of writing an official complaint towards OKW because i wanted it thoroughly investigated, but i was advised that sadly, it would fall upon deaf ears :( We were having such a magical time and this incident completely spoiled it for us. SO FOLKS BEWARE... the walls are not very thick and noise travels... I only wished i had been awake at the time, because i am very assertive i would have gone straight to reception and complained immediately not giving them a chance to return and threaten us again (without an ounce of evidence) OKW is such a lovely place to say but whats that saying? innocent until proven guilty? :( #utterlydevastated

Room Tip: Get a room close to hospitality if you don't hire a car.... this place is huge!
5 Thank melsasmadasahatter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
Wheaton, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We LOVED this resort, the space was great atmosphere beautiful and it has a great location within Disney. Here are a few things to note- we stayed in a 2 bedroom and 2 bath room- slept 9 people and the full kitchen was great, walls are THIN!! And we had a group next to us that like to party ALL NIGHT LONG- had to call the front desk twice, even kept all 3 of our kids up well past 11:30pm! These rooms have balconies and the first floor balcony goes out to a grassy area, these people were all over. Also had a person above us that seemed to pace- back and forth could hear them walking! Not sure why we could hear them so well, maybe because the main area has hard wood floors. The rooms are GREAT for big families or two families traveling together though- just try for a top floor- 3rd floor (I only saw stairs, not sure if there are elevators). Also a washer and dryer in the unit- very nice. Rooms are cute, not the best and fanciest of the disney resorts, but nice to spread out! Also this is one of those Disney resorts with LOTS of stops inside the resort, I think the bus stops at least 5 times inside the resort (spread out) we were in building 13 very close to lobby, large pool and games, restaurant and store. The bus stop near our building and the lobby is the last stop within Old Key west when you are going to the parks, but the LAST stop when you are coming back, it was quicker for us to get off at the first stop and walk back to our building. The store has a fair amount of food for purchase to bring back to your room- milk, fruit, cereal, muffins- also beer and wine and drinks, but if you can stop somewhere before coming you will save some money. The one thing this resort does NOT have is a counter style large eating place, there is small one that is good for lunch or dinner type food but NO mickey waffles, breakfast offerings are very slim unless you want to sit down for a meal in the sit down restaurant that I did not try. So if you have the meal plan it is not super convenient. Transportation is all buses except a boat to Downtown Disney- long ride there but nice and you can take it back or use the buses.

Room Tip: Go for the 3rd floor and go to a disney website, find the map of the resort and request upon check i...
1 Thank GET_TRAVELING247
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Family 4 ( 10/8yr) from Uk. Just back from our second 2 week stay in a 1 bed villa.
Can't disagree with some of the problems others highlight but despite these would still chose this place to return if it continues to offer the included disney dining package. Due to this package and having a hire car we ate at most of the other disney resorts over the last two years, both for quick service and table service . Also I love looking around all the resorts !
Felt we had the best of both , OKW for it's laid back relaxing( we were on holiday after all!) , comfortable surroundings and accommodation and used other hotels or park /DTD to eat in. Even my girls preferred staying at ours despite the novelty of other more obviously disney resorts. For example we liked animal lodge but it did seem to smell and not pleasantly ! Admittedly we went to these resorts at meal times and so they would then be "busy" but each time we would all feel they are great to visit but not as nice as OKW to stay at and that was without seeing their rooms which is one of OKW selling points. In comparison I felt other resorts just seemed more hectic . More crowded, only the Grand Floridian atmosphere could compete in my eyes and possibly out shadow OKW but reading their reviews many seemed to say although it looks great the rooms there also had their problems.

Being a big resort you could find space , or a quiet pool if that's what you want. it didn't appear over run with children or large groups yet on Halloween( it had excellent activities all day )my two had a ball and only then did i realise how many other children were at the resort. It had plenty of facilities for adults and children, gym ,tennis, arts and crafts, pool quiz DVD and bike rentals .enjoyed a dinner at Olivia's . agree their quick service v limited but I assume most people staying are self catering.
We were more careful requesting our room this time , always ask. Email in advance, they seem v accommodating. Each time we had clean rooms and had a good house keeping service . Although last yr it took 4 trips to reception for a room card to work after 12 hrs travelling this was not funny, the magic bands worked much better no problems this year.
We opted for quiet room on high floor, if stairs ( with your luggage) not a problem for you it is well worth it. Sadly trees again shaded our balcony and spoiled its view . We were near turtle pond, nice facilities but pool a lot colder than main pool , makes a difference if you like a night swim but not a prob in the day and quiet, then went to main pool for the slides, here many beds in the shade so was not my favourite pool but the girls loved it. On Days we used the bus it was last but one stop home , bit of a drag as by then my two too tired to walk.next time I will try and stay nearer the Miller road stop.
So glad we had the car as saved a lot of time when eating at different disney hotels , otherwise would have had to get to a park and bus from there. We managed to pack in a lot in our Two weeks as a result of cutting down on transport time, restaurant wait times and the magic band prebookable fast passes . I admit I spend hours researching bordering on obsessive at times ! Booked restaurants 180 days in advance , as result got fantastic restaurants some that coincided with the fireworks and really loved be my guest and last yr the girls found cinderella's castle an amazing start to the experience. the magic bands really suited someone like me who likes to plan and squeeze in as much as possible .

In OKW you can park outside your room unlike nearly all the other hotels. We often park hopped and because of the magic bands fast track option would drive from universal for example to a resort hotel, park here , use their transport ie monorail or boat to the park ,use the fast passes then travel to this resort hotel for our booked restaurant and then have our car to drive home when the girls were tired as travelling from Epcot or magic kingdom by car hard going when your tired as you have to go via the transportation car park .
We had no problems parking at any of the resort hotels they just swiped my husband's magic band each time. We even left the car at board walk one night as we decided to try the wines at the food and wine festival in Epcot. My husband caught a bus to HS next day and says waked to the car in about 15 mins.
,Found the mod/ budget range hotels offered more quick service choices but what was on offer in the deluxe range often tasted much nicer for a one off, such as the delicious crab cake sandwich and coconut water drink at the Grand Floridian or the zebra dome cakes at animal lodge. Also liked the dole whips at Polynesian and lovely subs at fort wilderness. Port Orleans Mardi gras good lunch/ dinner QS plenty of choices found the riverside offered better breakfast choice. Art of animation also had large food hall plenty of QS choice.
Only discovered late on that your resort refillable cup can now be used in any disney hotels during your stay .

My wish list for the rooms would be to improve the blinds, they need electric and with curtains for the kitchen area as sunlight came in which with jet lag doesn't help. Wouldn't recommend the sofa bed for adults and this area was bit noisy from the kitchen appliances but my two were so tired by the end of day they only occasionally moaned about it. They would have really liked a duvet not just a blanket. We however had a v comfortable ,dark and quiet bedroom , great and quiet AC with a large bed , uk guests take a portable kettle . Also children hangers would be useful as none there and only 1 large wardrobe for all with limited hangers although plenty of cupboard space and an iron . Get free washing powder but not many dishwasher tablets it seems .

Also please cut back some of the trees so the views on the balcony could be enjoyed and see more sunlight and those gorgeous sunsets, we Brits fly a long way and are desperate for some autumn vit D.
Our uk friends who have bought into the DVC recommended OKW 1 bedded rooms to us they say although they also love it they don't get a hire car so for them the 1 bedded villa better suits as rooms similar to OKW but can walk to Epcot and Hollywood studios. So might try this if went without a car otherwise it will be OKW again first choice for us in future. Can't wait to return, by far our favourite holiday destination .

Room Tip: Email your request to hotel before you go. Think what's important to you , it's a huge reso...
5 Thank anyonethere
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

This was our yearly family vacation which includes our grandchildren, daughters and son in laws. We were in Disney for 10 days and our first time as DVC members. Our first 5 days were spent at OKW. We had a studio my daughter had a two bedroom. It is correct to say OKW has the largest rooms in square footage than any of the DVC villas or rooms but I will add, based on our experience, the least well kept. My studio was "dirty". To the point that I had to contact the manager and he stepped up and made sure it was recleaned as well as our balconey. Of course, this took time away from our time as it took time to arrange to speak to the manager and put all this into motion. In the end it was cleaned but my point being "we should not have had to complain", after all it is Disney and cleanliness is one of the things they pride themselves on. I must applaud Julian the manager he is a credit to the Disney organization he took the lemons we were given and he made lemonade. Also, I want to mention Ryan the DVC rep. He was a pleasure to speak to. Will I go back to OKW. Frankly, I do not think so. Our last 5 days were spent at the Wilderness Lodge Villas --- a big difference! That report you can read under the Wilderness Lodge Villas.

Room Tip: If you are seniors you may want to ask for a room near the quiet pool.
1 Thank grandma228
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Although pricey the two bedroom villa was a great size for our family of 6 adults and one child. The two issues were luggage to our room was very delayed and a broken coffee pot. Both problems were rectified in a timely manner. The bus service to the parks was great and we enjoyed the boat to downtown disney. Only wish we would have had more time to enjoy the resort amenities

2 Thank Nan W
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed in a 1-bed villa using our DVC points. We actually arrived on New Year’s Day and checked-in at 8am and then made our way to the theme park. We were told that they couldn’t phone us to confirm when our room would be ready since we only had a UK mobile. This seemed pretty poor service for a company who must deal with thousands of none US tourists each week.

We arrived back at the hotel at 5.30pm and there seemed to be a problem with our room. We ended up spending an hour in reception whilst they kept phoning house-keeping to find us a room. I appreciate that the hotel was full due to the time of year but they had over 10 hours since we checked in to allocate us a room.

We were eventually given a room in Block 51. We hopped back in the car and were soon at our room and it was easy to park outside.

This is the original DVC resort and we though the room was lovely. It was absolutely huge although lacked the convenience of the extra bathroom that can be found in some of the newer resorts. I loved the New England style decor and the wooden floors and thought it felt spacious and airy. The lounge benefits from both a sofa bed and a chair bed so my teens didn’t have to share. The room was well cleaned and the balcony was a great size with a table and 4 chairs. The kitchen area was well equipped and the washer/dryer was really easy to use.

However the balcony was spoilt by all the overhanging trees, a bit more maintenance would be good and there was a patch of stagnant water beyond the trees so the balcony was not a nice place to relax. The parking area outside the block is used as a turning circle for the Disney buses. We were not told this and I thought it was dangerous and if I had young children I would have been quite concerned as the buses did not seem to take extra care in the area. The buses could also be heard clearly in the lounge area, due to the time of year the buses were running all night until 2 or 3am so the children found this quite disturbing whilst trying to sleep.

Block 51 is almost the furthest block from the main centre of the resort. The cold weather meant that we kept hopping in the car every time we wanted a drink refill or snack. We used Turtle Pool once to refill our drinks but the grumpy CM put us off going there again.

The main pool area looked nice with fun features and lots of beds. We didn’t use the main restaurant but we used the quick service which is basically a hatch in the wall, there is nowhere to sit inside, you can only sit outside which wasn’t much use to us since it was very cold. There is a general store with lots of gifts, clothing and a useful selection of groceries.

We used the complimentary boat transport to get to Downtown Disney and that was a really enjoyable ride that took about 15 minutes each way.

OKW looks a nice resort as it is set around a gold course but this means that there are not many walking paths so you have to walk along the main road if you are a long way from Hospitality House.

I would stay at OKW again as I thought the rooms were beautiful but I would cross my fingers to get a better location, no more block 51 for me!

Room Tip: Try and get a block number below 48.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

One of the best resorts. Large rooms beautiful landscape. Quite and great parking. You feel you are not in a hotel but a community where you interact with other members. You can't beat it. Grand villa is larger than some homes. You can't go wrong with okw great experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family