“Beautiful Resort”

Ranked #68 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Leigh
“Beautiful Resort”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed at Old Key West for 2 weeks in November and did not want to leave. This resort is really clean and the whole grounds are very well kept. Really calm and tranquil a pleasure to stroll around the grounds, very little traffic moving around.The studio room was quite large with microwave,fridge,coffee maker, ironing board and iron.

The studio was number 3276 on Turtle Pond Road on the second floor this was the top floor. We could hear our neighbours moving about for a minimal time in the morning and the evening, they didn't disturb us to much.

We had a few minutes walk to the pool at turtle shack. This was a lovely pool, quiet and relaxing. Around this pool was a childrens play area, laundrette, hot tub and a snack bar.

The Disney Bus Service was brilliant. Never had to wait long for the bus we wanted to turn up. Cannot understand why some reviewers complain about the service. There are 5 bus stops in the resort if you are picked up first you have another 4 stops before you leave the resort. On your return you will be the first to be dropped off. The boat to Downtown Disney is really worth trying, pleasant alternative to the bus.

Had a few good meals at Olivias, never tried Goods To Go. The general store had a limited amount of groceries on sale.

From check in to check out we never had one complaint, could not fault the resort.

Would we return to this resort - definitely

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LeighBlossom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Large resort so best to get near a pool. We were a block from Turtle Pond which is about a 10 minute walk to Olivia's and the Hospitality area. The snack bar only opens 11-3 but that's enough if you're having a pool day, otherwise it's just as easy to walk to the other snack bar at Hospitality and get the bus from there.
We had a 1 bed villa(they are really apartments) and it was really spacious and the jacuzzi bath to die for after a long day in the Parks. Two tvs one in the living room and one in the master, washer and separate dryer which we found invaluable plus a full functioning kitchen. Would be nice if Walmart did a delivery service tho, $15 for 6 cans of bud from the resort shop is stretching the mark up far too much!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ChrisN229
Florida
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I had always wanted to stay at this resort and several times had looked at the floor plan and thought it might be cramped. Quite the opposite!! My 15 yo son and I stayed for the weekend and felt like we had booked a mansion....it was huge!! We booked a one bedroom. I had the king sized bed in the bedroom, while my son had a choice of pull outs in the main living space which was even bigger. I can certainly understand why families would love to stay at Old Key...so many roomy options! Kitchen was large, washer and dryer area was very roomy too. Spacious outdoor veranda area, accessible from both the bedroom's private access as well as the main area. Evidently it is considered a "premiere villa" resort, and it is certainly a cut above from a typical resort room or adjacent. So take note, you get more bang from your buck in this regard!

The resort grounds were expansive as well and top notch in true Disney style. The main sandcastle pool was large (and warm in November, thank goodness) and the pool slide was very fun and one of my favorites. We also enjoyed the spacious spa pool over by the sauna.

Check in was quick and easy and the new "bands" were easily explained and easily used. Ours worked like a dream throughout our stay, although we did not have a lot of things linked to them. We wore them swimming and in the hot tub as well and they were functioning fine as a room key right after.

The boat service was quick and easy right there at the main hospitality center, taking us over to Downtown Disney to the dock near the House of Blues. I took the bus back due to pouring rain and a handful of packages and being on the bus depot side of DTD. I was deposited back at the Hospitality center, right near my room. Later that day when returning to the resort from a different foray to see gingerbread house displays, the buses were crowding the Hospitality center so the bus skipped that stop and went around the entire resort before finally dropping us off at the Hospitality center. Understandable, but I wish I'd known as it took a half hour to make the whole loop. Check with your driver to avoid this.

"Goods Food to Go" was fine for quick food. Olivia's serves a nice breakfast. The day and time of day you go to Olivia's can greatly change the speed of service. Sunday after 10 AM seating will get you vying for attention in the kitchen, as many are checking out and are eating during that last half hour. Saturday, however, was quick and easy. Akos was our waiter and was outstanding. The man knows his way around a breakfast. Order anything he suggests. Take him home with you. If you can. ;)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Wanderbunny
Reviewed 18 November 2013

OKW is very nice, it is also a very large resort. There are 4 pools but the main pool is the best! My 5 year old loved the water slide!
Our one bedroom villa was clean and very roomy. We had a nice view of the golf
course. I would stay there again!!!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank suziq65
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Old Key West is beautiful. It's a deluxe Disney resort in the Downtown Disney area, and it covers a bigger area than any other Disney resort. Old Key West is Disney's recreation of the Conch Flats in the Florida Keys, and it's one of the most relaxing and striking places I've ever had the pleasure of staying in.

We arrived in Old Key West after a long flight, a delay at baggage claim and a bus trip in the rain on Disney's Magical Express, so we were very relieved to have a quick and easy check-in experience in the pristine lobby.

The staff were all friendly and informative, but I'd expect nothing less in a Disney resort. All the best customer service experiences I've had by far have been in Disney World! We were directed to our block of 'flats', or Vacation Homes as they're called in Old Key West, and I had a lovely Disney welcome with towels shaped like Mickeys on the bed!

I'd read a lot of complaints about the rooms in Old Key West before we went on holiday as people thought they were dated and shabby. I have to disagree... The rooms are immaculate, spacious and even have a little kitchenette in each one. What more could you possibly want for a holiday where you don't even spend much time in your room? The view from the balcony was absolutely beautiful... I'm still missing it! A lot of people would complain about being on the second floor because they needed to climb some stairs, but I was very grateful for the lovely view and the peace and quiet.

Our block was only five minutes away from the Hospitality House, which is the central hub at Old Key West. The Hospitality House consists of the lobby, gift shop, main bus stop for the resort, Olivia's restaurant, Good's Food To Go, the bar and the entrance to the main resort pool. Although I had a lovely breakfast and dinner at Olivia's, my favourite food from Old Key West had to be the amazing onion rings from Good's Food To Go.

We stayed in Disney's Coronado Springs resort last year, in the Animal Kingdom resort area. Although I loved Coronado, I felt as though Old Key West was even more 'Disney'. There were little Mickeys everywhere and in the most unexpected places, and the whole atmosphere was relaxed and 'magical'... typically Disney! There were a lot of small children staying here with their parents so the resort had a real family-friendly feel about it, yet it was still extremely tranquil.

We didn't actually go the main resort pool as we had a little quiet pool just around the corner from our block. As Old Key West is so sprawling, there are a few quiet pools situated around the resort so that people don't need to walk for fifteen minutes to get to the main pool. Although we only went to the quiet pool once as we were so busy, it was a lovely setting and was actually quiet. There was also a hot tub next to the pool which was strangely relaxing, even though the humid climate begs to differ!

I loved the way staff members said 'Welcome home' every time you set foot in the resort after being out for the day. Yet another nice touch which you probably wouldn't get anywhere outside of Disney. The staff in Olivia's, the bar, Good's Food To Go, the gift shop and the luggage attendants were all equally friendly and welcoming, which added to the beauty and serenity of the resort. How many times has a nice hotel experience been ruined for you because the staff were rude? It wouldn't happen in Disney!

One of the best thing about staying in a Disney resort has to be the Disney transportation system. If you're a Disney resort guest, you can catch a free bus to any of the Disney parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach) and to Downtown Disney. All day, every day! You can then catch a bus back to your resort from the parks whenever you feel like it. Old Key West is massive so the buses did take a while to travel around the whole resort, but I'd much prefer to be sitting on a free bus than trying to negotiate the Disney park car parks.

As Old Key West is in the Downtown Disney resort area, you can also catch a boat to Downtown Disney if you fancy a break from the buses. We caught the boat once during our stay and it was a lovely experience... a short boat trip is always going to a bit nicer than a bus ride!

I don't think I could ever praise Old Key West enough, but hopefully I've given you a flavour for what a fantastic place it is.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Beth_from_Cardiff
Utah
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We just got back from staying eight nights at Old Key West in a two-bedroom villa. It was the perfect size for the eight people in our family. My parents loved the master bedroom with the jetted tub, a quiet getaway inside the room at the end of the day. I loved the kitchen full of dishes and cookware and the big second bathroom. We loved sitting on the veranda every morning for breakfast.

We had three young kids and two wheelchairs with us, a challenging group to get around. But the cast members were very accommodating and changed our room to meet our accessibility needs even when the resort was sold out. I was also impressed by the frequency of the buses and the helpfulness of the bus drivers.

Olivia's, the restaurant, was great for dessert but way too pricey for a regular meal. And the general store had very little in the way of groceries. It is worth a cab ride to go to Walmart and pick up supplies.

We loved the central location but also the fact that it felt tucked away from everything. And despite the resort being sold out, we heard almost no noise outside our room ever.

We would love to stay there again, but we most likely won't because of cost. However, if you can afford it, I think it was amazing.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank bardburt
Barnoldswick, Lancashire
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed at Old Key West late October for 13 nights. Previously stayed at Disney's Caribbean Beach and Port Orleans and I would say this is equivalent to both. The resort is large but not as big as some reviews sound. You can easily walk around it. There are several bus stops so it does take a while to get around the resort. It stops at each in a set order and sometimes its just easier to get off at the first and walk! The boat to Downtown Disney area is lovely-a real relax! It stops by Disney Quest and Cirque du Soleil which is different to the other boat points at market place.
We stayed in a studio room with 2 adults and 2 children. Downside of this was the children (teenagers had to share a double bed). The room otherwise was cleaned daily and had ample room. We were in block 18 which is near to hospitality House but also pretty quiet. There is a small pool max. 5 minutes away which hardly gets used and was fab at the end of a busy day! We asked for a room on upper floor overlooking a golf course and Disney matched it. It was a great view- 1836 I think. Some rooms with bedrooms were there too and looked very spacious.

The let down at Old Key West was a lack of eating facilities. Olivias restaurant was nice but uses a table service-even at breakfast. There is no food hall like at Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach. They do have a small shop where you can get a very basic breakfast but it was a let down having stayed in these other properties. So we decided to use our quick service meals at lunchtime as it was better value and more choice.

Many people at Old Key West seem to be American Vacation Club who I believe make their own meals so I guess that's why they don't have a food court.

The resort was welcoming. very clean and well staffed as in all Disney properties.

Buses were every 20 minutes so if you missed one another came later. Just try and relax and wait-they do turn up! I think people just have busy schedules and don't like waiting. I did notice that this resort did not have as many people in electric wheel chairs-perhaps due to it being a large resort. Therefore buses flowed quickly.

We enjoyed our stay here but would not return due to the lack of a food court. We like to start the day with a breakfast. Otherwise Disney did themselves proud as usual. Thanks Disney foryour excellent service and care.

Room Tip: Block 18 third floor over looking a golf course.