“Messy Sister in the Disney Lineup”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #71 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 3 December 2013

First I must emphasis that I book through a Disney travel agent more the 180 days in advance. I am not a drop in. We ask for a room above the first floor as some of us have mold allergies that are more common in first floor rooms. We also came without a car and with a rented ECV . They were aware of that when we booked early on. We requested a room close to the Main lodge as we didn't have a car and hoped to use the pool and restaurants. We, upon arriving were told our room was out on the outskirts. When I questioned it, I was told I could take it or leave it. The room was lovely until later in the evening one of the boys cars went under a couch and when I moved it to retrieve the car found that the floor was littered with food remains and dust balls. The entry and the smaller bedroom had an odd odor and I assumed that it was a cleaning product. the next night the odor was stronger and the third evening upon returning from the parks it was horrible and decidedly smelt of dead animal. Turns out there was a dead salamander or something under the night stand. I reported it to the desk and when we returned the next night there was a perfumy smell all through the place. The salamander was still in it's place. I removed the critter but fluid was into the rug and I had nothing to clean it with. The odor continued. We witnessed the same black critters climbing up the siding outside the room and disappearing. The finally sad event on this adventure came on the day we left. We had reservations for breakfast at Olivia's and enjoyed our meal though were keenly aware of the absence of our waitress after the order was taken. The meal came out in a tide, being handled by kitchen staff we think. At the end she reappeared with the bill. Just as this occurred one of the other waitress' came rushing by with a huge tray filled with dirty dishes and dropped it behind me. We didn't look to hard as we were getting ready to go and trying to stay out of the way.When the mess was dealt with our missing waitress reappeared with a single wet napkin. Turns out my canvas travel bag was covered with catsup and maple syrup. Note no apology or assistance just a single dampened paper napkin. The bag was a loss as the substances had penetrated it so a replacement was necessary. After paying the bill and attempting to speak to the manager who had witnessed the whole mess( he ran out the door ahead of us and disappeared) we went to gift shop to get a tote to carry my stuff and discarded the bag. Our bus was due momentarily. Though I have attempted to get back to this situation I am finding it difficult to get a name and a number for someone to talk about it. The one other thing I might add is that at All Star Resorts and at Saratoga Springs they have guick serve places with full menus with salads , sandwiches, etc. Though they have one at Old Key West it is pool side and very limited. The food was good but limited. There seems to be a general overall attitude of disreguard here that did not exist at the other two resorts that we are familiar with, we did find friendly helpers in the bell staff and at the desk but they seemed quietly unhappy and limited in what they were permitted to do. The people that maintained the rooms either didn't speak English or were choosing not to speak at all. The exterior and the room size certainly would recommend this place but a sad, disinterested staff says something very interesting about the management that Disney certainly needs to look into. I might add that I am a excellent tipper and we are used to looking after ourselves and though we traveled with four children they were made to tidy up after themselves(i.e. dishes in the dishwasher and trash and toys dealt with) and we really only used the room in the evening for a short while before bed and after breakfast left for the parks and were gone every day till after dark. For the crazy amount I paid for this adventure I am not going to let this go, for that kind of money someone should be working hard to make sure I am happy.

6  Thank Barbara K
Write a ReviewReviews (2,652)

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had a good experience at Old Key West. We were travelling with extended family and stayed in a two-bedroom suite. The customer service was great. My immediate family transferred to Old Key West after a short stay at another resort, and Bell Services was quick and helpful with our transferred bags, even when we showed up for the first time at 1 a.m. We dealt with very helpful people at both the front desk and the concierge desk. We had minor problems with a couple of our Magic Bands that they resolved quickly and efficiently, and they were helpful in assisting us to find and retrieve my daughter's teddy bear that we had accidentally left at the other hotel.

The room was huge, well-maintained, and fit the needs of our group (6 adults and 2 small children) perfectly. Old Key West has the largest rooms at each size of any resort on Disney property, and the difference is noticeable. The grounds are beautiful. It would be really easy to forget that you are at a Disney resort.

In isolation, I would say that Old Key West is a great place to stay. I would not be afraid to stay here. However, it falls short when compared to other, similar Disney properties.

The store has a very limited selection compared to other resorts, particularly when it comes items to fill the kitchen and refrigerator. In the past, we have used items at the store to get everything we needed to have breakfast in the room. We weren't able to do that at OKW.

The Counter Service restaurant has the most basic and least extensive menu of any Disney resort I've stayed at, regardless of price point. It was adequate at best. Also, the machines for filling the refillable resort mugs are located outdoors, which means that we had to fight bees in order to get our refills.

The swimming pool was okay, but it is about the least toddler- and preschooler-friendly pool we've visited. The play area for the little ones is very limited, and it's located out of the way so that we didn't even see it on our first visit to the pool. Also, the main pool does not have a zero-depth entry area, so there was no shallow water for our girls to play in.

Also, we don't like the set up of the bus system at Old Key West. Most of the other Disney resorts with multiple bus stops are set up in a loop. Old Key West, on the other hand, has a main road, with other roads branching off of it. So instead of just looping around the resort, the buses at OKW have to drive to the end of each of the branching roads, then come back to the main road, before heading down the next branch. The result is that you spend MUCH longer on the bus inside the resort than you would at other resorts. On the first night of our stay, when we came back from Magic Kingdom (which is the farthest park away from OKW), we spent longer on the bus inside the resort than we did for the drive between Magic Kingdom and OKW. At the end of a long day, when you're tired and ready to be back in the room, that's frustrating.

The result is that while Old Key West is very nice, it falls short compared to other, similar Disney resorts. For example, Saratoga Springs, which is located next door to Old Key West and typically has the same prices, avoids all of these shortcomings of Old Key West. While our experience at Old Key West was good, all other things being equal, it would be my last choice among Disney's deluxe resorts.

5  Thank Gleece
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I recently went to WDW for my 60th birthday with one of my great friends. I had never stayed at a deluxe resort at WDW before this and didn't know what to expect. What I got was : wonderful! We were set back into the resort in a wonderful room that was spacious enough, comfortable; quiet;just what you need at the end of a crazy , busy Disney filled day. I usually stay at the Value resorts where it can be a bit noisy, so this was a very nice surprise. The room had a great little balcony;a little sitting area where we had our coffee and muffins each morning before heading for the parks. There was a microwave/small fridge and coffee pot. What more could you want! I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank azuriz
Reviewed 27 November 2013

After doing tons of research, we had booked our 3 week stay at Old Key West based upon the fact that with a couple of wheelchairs in our party, the extra floorspace at Old Key West would come in very handy.

It was only when we started reading reviews including here on Trip Advisor that we started to become a little worried. We read about dirty rooms, poor housekeeping and so on and wondered weather we had made a big mistake.

So on the 26th October, we arrived at OKW on the Disney Magical Express and wandered over to Check-In where we met Cody who welcomed us "home". He presented us with our information pack and then paused as he realised we had been allocated a 2nd floor room. A quick phone call later and we were then allocated Room 2315 which was a ground floor room and also had a roll-in shower which we did not need but could totally put up with for our three weeks. We were given our box with our Magic Bands in and then off we wandered to find our room.

2315 was perfect for us, 5 minutes (if that) stroll from the central hospitality house and also right next to the incoming (Peninsular Road) bus stop. We used our bands to unlock the door and were blown away by the size of the accommodation. It was a one bedroom apartment and we were supposed to be a party of 4 but ended up with just two of us (See www.wdw.me.uk for details) and so we had far more room than we really needed.
Patio Doors opened up onto a small verandah overlooking botha lake and the golf course and the large windows on the other wall looked over the golf course. Both allowed the Florida sunshine to stream in each morning.

The bedroom was huge with a very comfortable bed, the bathroom(s) were great and the Jaccuzi bath tub was great fun. There were plenty of fresh towels each morning.
The kitchen was also very handy. We only really used it for cereal, toast & coffee in a morning and the odd couple of nights we cooked our own pizza to save on our dining credits but we had a massive fridge/freezer, large cooker with oven, a microwave, dishwasher, coffee machine, toaster and waste disposal system. The only think we didn't have was a kettle for us to make a decent cup of tea (We're Brits) but actually, I got very used to the Joffrey's Coffee which was topped up for us each day so this wasn't a big problem.
A big bonus for us was also the washer and dryer and iron in the laundry room which meant we went home with a case full of clean clothes at the end of three weeks.

Housekeeping were great, there was only one morning when a rather persistant person kept checking if we were ready to be "done" starting at just after 8am when we were still in bed from a busy night the night before. In the end, she'd only go away if I signed a piece of paper to say we had refused cleaning that day. After that, we learned to leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign out until we had got up if we were planning a later start.
Other than that, the housekeeping staff were great, always taking the trash, replacing towels, cleaning, doing the dishwasher, topping up the coffee, laundry detergent and so on. We could not fault them, they were great.

Some people say the rooms are dated, we didn't think so, they were in great condition. The only issue I had was the light in the shower started to flicker and then stopped working and needed replacing but that could happen anywhere and I'm sure if I had mentioned it, it would have been changed immediately.

We were also wary of dining at Olivia's from previous reports but decided we'd try it on our first day as we were settling in. The food was great and the staff very pleasant too. After our main course, we didn't have room for a dessert but the waitress insisted we had one and bagged it up for us to take away and eat later. We're glad we did.

The grounds were immaculate, constantly being tended by gardeners, constantly being painted and nothing, literally nothing looked out of place at any time.
Goods Food To Go, the quick service counter was OK, we had a couple of meals here which were fine, nothing special but absolutely fine. Our only regret was that the way it worked, we had our refillable mugs included with the dining plan but actually only used them once, the day we collected them. Goods was just out of the way for us and at night on return from the parks where we could pick up a hot drink before bed would mean a trek from our bus stop, back to the centre and back again which we just chose not to do.

Speaking of the buses, we had great experiences here. On the whole, buses were regular and well spaced out meaning we'd get a stream of them all to different places one after another. Only when we were on the last minute to try and get to a breakfast reservation did there seem to be a delay or buses appearing for everywhere apart from where we needed to get to. I think it just appeared that way though to be honest.
We only had one bad experience where a bus driver obviously didn't see the wheelchair and filled his already very nearly full bus with people before I asked him about getting the wheelchair on, he obviously couldn't at that point and said another bus would be along soon. This was only once in 3 weeks though and far from what we experienced the rest of the time.

The water taxi to Downtown Disney was also great, a lovely relaxing trip.

The shop wasn't very big but seemed to have most things that we wanted.

Our best dining experience was at Olivia's when we had Dylan as our server who was the happiest, smilyest and most efficient server we experienced in the whole holiday. She was great.

So, would I reccomend OKW? Yes, very much so, it was perfect for us, especially with our room location which was in walking distance of the centre and the first bus stop for when returning home for the night. I would not have changed a thing.

Younger kids may prefer the theming to be more intense at other places but this was great for us.

Room Tip: Block 23 was just perfect for us
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank PeteSturgess
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

So we paid a lot of money to stay at this location. We had 2, 2 bedroom villas and they were worn down and needing of repair. Leaking sunk, broken cabinet doors, old nasty brooms in the room. Plus when I arrived to the hotel at 7 pm the room was still not ready. I love Disney but this stay was average.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This was the second time we had stayed here and yes it is simply stunning, the staff are extremely helpful, housekeeping are great, transport to and from parks is good but.......this is not a restful quiet resort at times and by that I mean late night (god damn buses with their stupid bleeping noises that honestly would wake the dead) and the groundsmen who think it's perfectly ok to start jet washing at 7 yes that's right 7 am!!!!!!!! I don't know about you but I go on holiday to have a rest and maybe a lie in.
The rooms are lovely and very spacious for American hotel rooms, our kids are in their late teens so we have to take an air bed which sat nicely along side one of the walls.
Just a tip....if you like a soft bed then this is not the hotel for you, my body was numb the beds were so hard although my husband thought the beds were fabulous.
Internet access is great in the room and the main pool but no good at bus stops or turtle pond pool.
Turtle pond pool is absolutely freezing but nice if it's a boiling hot day...you certainly feel refreshed after a dip. Didn't like the atmosphere here, the Americans who clearly come here year after year think they own the beds! Felt very much like an outsider even though we spent a fortune to stay here for 2 weeks.
Turtle pond area is fine but you do feel like you are a million miles away from the main pool.
I personally wouldn't stay here again as I like my sleep too much but if you don't mind a hard bed and late nights and very early mornings then stay here as I said it is a beautiful resort and the boat ride to Downtown Disney is lovely.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Andi1973
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed at Old Key West for 2 weeks in November and did not want to leave. This resort is really clean and the whole grounds are very well kept. Really calm and tranquil a pleasure to stroll around the grounds, very little traffic moving around.The studio room was quite large with microwave,fridge,coffee maker, ironing board and iron.

The studio was number 3276 on Turtle Pond Road on the second floor this was the top floor. We could hear our neighbours moving about for a minimal time in the morning and the evening, they didn't disturb us to much.

We had a few minutes walk to the pool at turtle shack. This was a lovely pool, quiet and relaxing. Around this pool was a childrens play area, laundrette, hot tub and a snack bar.

The Disney Bus Service was brilliant. Never had to wait long for the bus we wanted to turn up. Cannot understand why some reviewers complain about the service. There are 5 bus stops in the resort if you are picked up first you have another 4 stops before you leave the resort. On your return you will be the first to be dropped off. The boat to Downtown Disney is really worth trying, pleasant alternative to the bus.

Had a few good meals at Olivias, never tried Goods To Go. The general store had a limited amount of groceries on sale.

From check in to check out we never had one complaint, could not fault the resort.

Would we return to this resort - definitely

3  Thank LeighBlossom