“Fantastic stay, as usual!”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #74 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 14 December 2013

OKW is one of our favorite places to stay at Walt Disney World. Our most recent trip has us in a 2 bedroom villa, but usually we stay in a 1 bedroom. All week our room stayed clean with towel and trash service every day. We could tell that "mousekeeping" went above and beyond the typical trash/towel service because the room was picked up each time we returned. Everyone at OKW is friendly and helpful. After NUMEROUS stays over the last 10 years, it remains one of our absolute favorites. The resort has a very laid back feel and is a nice quiet place to retreat to after the hustle & bustle of the parks all day. The boat ride to downtown Disney is a nice and relaxing treat too!

3  Thank CTX03
Write a ReviewReviews (2,631)

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I really enjoyed our brief stay at Disney's Old Key West. I was there with my two sisters-in-law for a short girls weekend.

The folks who worked there were extremely nice and we were upgraded to a two-bedroom suite upon our arrival, which was fabulous. We were out and about most of the time, so we didn't make use of the pool. The rooms were great. The bedrooms were refurbished and very big.

My only complaint is the size of the property. Our room was located incredibly far away from the main lobby/pool area and a pretty fair distance away from the closest bus depot. So we found ourselves having to drive to the main lobby area to take the bus to the parks from there. I found that a bit inconvenient and certainly would have found it more so if my kids had been with me!

Also note, the "best" rooms (those closest to the lobby/pool area) are generally reserved for Disney Vacation Club members as this is a DVC property. I know this only because I had an injured knee so when we booked our room I specifically asked for a room close to the lobby and they told me that was not a possibility because those rooms are resvered for that purpose.

But all in all, the service was great and the room was very nice.

4  Thank KPav22
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed at OKW November 13-17, 2013. Was after midnight when we arrived so check in was quick and they even drove us to our room which was very much appreciated with a sleeping 8yr old.
Pros: stunning landscape, beautiful buildings, friendly and helpful cast members, spacious rooms, plenty of toiletries
Cons: Very large complex, long walk from the bus stop to room (would definitely rent a car if staying here again), little things in room that we damaged, paint peeling, tiles cracked etc.
Overall lovely resort. I feel that for the price, more attention should be paid to upkeep details. The resort was a little too big and spread out for me but that is just a personal preference and nothing to do with the quality of the resort. Would I stay here again? Probably not as it just wasn’t a good “fit” for my family. Would I recommend it? Absolutely!

2  Thank ruky1968
Reviewed 12 December 2013

the rooms have been refurbished in bedrooms, living space and kitchen. Beds were heaven, the room was spotless, plenty of water pressure, towels and cooking implements in the full kitchen. the new shampoos, Yuck. and can they get any smaller?
we stayed in 3810, a two bedroom villa. Old Turtle Pond Rd. was our buss stop. it was a good walk, and after parks all day... we just drove as the buses in old key west are not always on time. IN fact, I don't think they ever are, and you have to drive to the main pool, or take an internal buss to it, those are any were from a 30 min to a 40 min wait it seemed. I kind'a timed them when we were at the pool as our daughter was thinking about using it.
The pool was perfect, lots of games and action after 1pm, the slide is great, and the food and drink rate a 4 out of 5 stars IMHO> Too bad its up by the check in instead of more centrally located, but whatever... it's fine. Old Key west has one of the largest living areas , and there were 6 of us so we needed that. The two bedrooms at the newer ones gave up the living space for a third bathroom. so it depends on what you like. IF I Had 3 teens with me I'd go for the 3rd bath, we spent more time in the room so space was important this time. ( DVC resorts with the most living space are Old Key west, Boardwalk, and Beach Club.
This resort has lots of activities throughout the day poolside, a community hall with games and a craft planned each day, a gift shop, and a restaurant, Olivia's for lunch and breakfast that is very nice, also grill and bar, and a grill and bar poolside at the turtle pond quiet pool.
Full kitchen, back deck under roof with nice golf view, 3 beds and a pull out couch, ( my granddaughter tells me the one in this room is NOT comfy and she just slept on the couch after her first night) Two full baths, master has toilet and shower separate from spa bath tube, you can watch TV from tub. second bath is reg shower/tub, wth double vanity . plenty of room, all rooms have nice LG Tv with main tv bigger and dvd bluray player. everything was easy to use but the thermostat... we finally had to call for help with that one.
we figured out with the full kitchen, we saved 350 a day easy in meal cost, and I only really coked a big meal once. but we had breakfast , stuff for sandwiches and things to heat up , salads, healthy food and meals so we could eat junk in the parks . LOL> ( Frozen Banana... YUM)
Nothing to do with room, but warning... our personal experience and the 20 or so people at the desk every day, just say NO to those magic bands... or if you must, have back up stuff with you, esp your hard pass tickets to get yourself into the park... LOTS of angry peeps. plus. we are paying HUGE ticket prices to test their stuff ??? Are we nuts? Because of the magic band joke I have to mark down in service... and its NOT the personals fault, they feel just awful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LPnerdN.C.
Reviewed 12 December 2013

After having such a great time at Old Key West last year, we didn't hesitate to book again for a nine night stay in October/November 2013.
We booked two villas through the Disney UK website, which I believe is an official part of the Disney "empire", over a year in advance. On several occasions prior to arriving, by phone and email, ( I still have the email replies), I contacted Disney UK to make sure that my requests for the villas to be close together and somewhere close to the "Hospitality" area, (as they refer to the main complex). I was assured that these requests were noted and would be sent with my booking, I had requested them by direct contact as not only was there was no option available on the website booking page to do so, but on arriving at the resort last year, not only did they fail to forward the same requests but somehow they even had us down for two 0ne bedroom villas when we had booked and paid for a one bed villa and a two bedroomed villa. Luckily I had all the booking information and invoices with me proving this.
When we arrived at the check in on October 24th they had no record of any requests.
I had put last years failing down as a one off error, but to have it happen with FOUR individual reservations is not an error, it is a deliberate failure and someone should be held responsible. I am fully aware that requests are simply that, and are in no way guaranteed but dependant on availability at the point of check in, your chance of success is limited but you have at least asked, however, when the requests are simply ignored and not sent, your chances of being considered for your preferred location are ZERO. Of course, I could have been lied to by the Disney check in staff, but I don't think this to be true as will be explained shortly.
We were put in what has to be the worst area of the whole complex, building 55 on the upper floor. It had to be one of the furthest buildings from the main complex, there was no view from the balcony due to poorly maintained/poorly kept foliage, and there was continuous noise late into the night from a "spa pool" directly below us which was adjacent to the close by swimming pool complex. The second villa for our daughter and her family was several buildings away.
Whilst sat in this room on the second morning, awaiting a change of room, I sent an email to Disney UK questioning their action and asking for an explanation, absolutely no surprise that they ignored my email completely.
The reason I do not believe that the front desk were being anything but truthful is quite simply because of the way they handled the situation. The following day, (25/Oct), we were moved to adjoining rooms/villas in block 18, very close to where we were located last year. Apparently the resort was heavily booked so we had to spend the first night in building 55 until the other rooms became available, not the best set up as it meant wasting a lot of time moving a lot of luggage and waiting around until the rooms were ready. Building 18 was a completely different outlook and more reminiscent of something that Disney can be proud of, how they can put people in the likes of some of the buildings is beyond me.
There is not much else to add to last years review, it is an excellent resort with good facilities and an extremely convenient transport system, the villas, (one and two bedroom options), are all you could ask for on vacation, they are large and well equipped.
We have learnt something from this visit, the location of your room means absolutely everything.
I would highly recommend Disney's Old Key West, I would not recommend the "Walt Disney Travel Company UK" in any shape or form, avoid them at all costs and be aware that any request you make will probably not get through.
If you do need to make a specific request, phone the Old Key West front desk within six days of arrival and speak to one of their team.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JeremyKingsbury
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Old key west resort was a more adult friendly location – perfect for 4 adults travelling without children. Was a very very peaceful place very quiet and I don’t actually think we saw anyone else in our block of apartments the whole 2 weeks we were there (2nd and 3rd week of sept 2013). The main pool is a bit noisy with children and games and loud music but there are other pools that are smaller but quieter if you prefer. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa – this was just perfect with a huge living room area, 2 separate bathrooms and bedrooms with a washer and dryer perfect for making sure you don’t pack too much and just wash clothes there. There was full kitchen equipment and a lovely little balcony too that overlooked the river – although the view depends on where you are located in the resort. Having a car would benefit as the hotel is quite spaced out so walking to and from reception would be a bit of a walk and the food service and refillable cups you get are based at reception/main pool. There is a boat that takes you to and from downtown disney free of charge and the free Disney buses run too and there are bus stops throughout the resort – although I would recommend getting on at reception as this is usually the last stop before setting off otherwise you end up travelling around the complex first for 15/20 mins. The transport is great service and regularly runs – don’t listen to other reviews that say the service doesn’t come for 40 mins - that never once happened whilst we were there!! We would definitely stay here again even with children as it was very relaxing amongst the craziness of rushing around in the parks which is what you need and nice to have more than just a bedroom in a hotel to use for relaxing after a long day at the parks. The café at olivias was good food – although one morning we waited for 45 mins for breakfast to be served to us as it was busy so this wasn’t the greatest! Overall the hotel was great and I would definitely recommend this and also the Disney dining plan that can be booked with it – we were concerned at first about keeping track of what we were using and what we may have left over but you will struggle to use all the points!!! Also do a dinner dining – the Polynesian luau was great and AMAZING food!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank girl_wood
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My family and I traveled to Orlando and spent a week at the Disney Old Key West resort. We rented a two bedroom villa Which was perfect for us, we had four adults and two kids. Our villa had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room, kitchen, laundry room, Jacuzzi tub and a large patio with a table and chairs. Our villa also overlooked a lake and golf course. At night we could sit on the patio and watch the fireworks at EPCOT. The resort had a nice pool with a water slide and a sauna. There is also a beach are and kiddy pool. This was a wonderful place to relax and unwind after a day at Disney. Next time we go to Disney we are staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that you can see the fireworks at EPCOT.