“Down from last time”

Ranked #72 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Smithfield, Rhode Island
“Down from last time”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We have stayed at Old Key West 3 times. The first 2 times were great, this last time was not. Our room was dirty, the staff was not helpful. We ate at the table service and the staff was rude to us and would not help us with the issue we were having. The counter service options are not good. The resort is beautiful and I like that it is convenient to downtown Disney.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Danielle G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
South Pasadena, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I am always critical of things that need to be better organized, maintained or arranged. This is the ONLY place I've ever stayed where I can report zero things needing attention. Everything was perfect - the rooms, the gardens, the transportation, access to attractions, people, it goes on! I give Disney big kudos for doing it right! You pay for it, but they certainly deliver.

The rooms we had were comfortable, well appointed and spotlessly clean and well-maintained. The parks showed astounding attention to detail. Food was universally good to excellent. Everyone - EVERYONE - we met from the staff was friendly, happy and helpful almost to the point of being - well - scary!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank morris91030
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Picking a resort for my parents and I to stay at was one of the hardest decisions I had to make when planning our Disney world vacation. I wanted a place within the park where we could decompress for a while after facing the crowds and hectic atmosphere of the parks but still have bus access to everything. I ultimately settled on Old Key West after reading the reviews and looking at pictures. Looking back, I have to say I could not have chosen a better resort for us.

The resort is located in the southeast corner of the property, closest to Downtown Disney. It can easily be reached from either the 4 or the 192 when you're first driving to the park. There is also bus service to and from the airport as well as the cruise ship port if you are not driving in. To and from the Magic Kingdom and Epcot is about a 15 - 20 minute bus ride; Animal Kingdom and Hollywood studios are about 10-15 minutes away. Downtown disney can be reached either by bus or by ferry from the hospitality house.

One important note about this resort is that it is very spread out. It's like a gated community with a bunch of big houses rather than a few large buildings close together. Because of this, there are multiple bus stops in the community so bus travel can take longer to transverse this resort than other resorts, depending on how many people are taking the bus at that time. As such, be sure to allow about 10 to 15 minutes of extra time when taking the bus to your destination if you are going to an appointment.

I probably don't need to say that the staff were all extremely friendly and helpful (this is Disney world after all. I think they put something in the water.) There is a concierge desk in the hospitality house who helped us book last minutes reservations for a restaurant to view the fireworks. The cleaning staff were top notch; the room was practically sparkling when they were done. Best of all, everyone always had a smile on. By far the best hotel staff I've ever worked with.

I booked a two bedroom suite so my folks and I had enough space to spread out with our own bathrooms. The living room in this suite was huge with a full kitchen, flat screen TV and several couches as well as an oversized chair. The room also had a separate washer and dryer, a Jacuzzi tub in the king bedroom and a lovely balcony overlooking one of the lakes on the property. The beds were just right comfort wise and I slept like a rock, although that might have been due to running around the parks all day. The internet was disney magic fast and I could watch a 1080p movie without a hint of buffering. I believe that, price per square foot, these are the largest rooms you can get in the price range out of all the deluxe resorts and are definitely worth the money.

The resort amenities include several swimming pools, a single table service and two quick service restaurants and a golf course on property if that is of interest to you. If fine dining is your thing, this would not be a good resort for you due to the limited selection. They're great for getting a quick breakfast or late evening meal but that's about it. Again, perfect for my family but your milage may very.

One important last note about this resort: if you cannot walk up stairs, you need to book a first floor room or choose a different resort as there do not appear to be elevators to any of the second or third floor rooms.

Overall: If you are looking for a more laid back, take life easy and decompress after a day at the parks resort and don't mind a few extra minutes on the bus or a limited selection of on resort dining, Old Key West is hard to beat.

Room Tip: If you cannot climb stairs, be sure to book a room on the first floor as there are no elevators in t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank mr_cardholder
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

we enjoyed staying here, we used the bus service all the time to the parks and they were frequent and far more convenient that using the car. The studio was large and the beds were comfortable. It was clean but didn't feel like a "deluxe" room.
We checked before we went and had been told we could have a kettle if we asked at reception (to boil water for baby bottles) however when we asked they only had kettles to use on ovens and not electric kettles as a studio has no oven this didn't help we explained the problem and got a shrug of the shoulders.
the on site quick service food was not good, you waited ages in a queue to be served and then it was average.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank davjunk
Auburndale, Florida
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This resort was nice but I thought there would be more places to eat. When we first got there I tried to park at bldg 64. There is a parking lot for 63 and 15 which is on the other side of 64. No parking lot for my bldg!!. Very confusing when we first arrived. Then I tried to get ice and found NO ice machines in the building!! This is a deluxe resort?? Had to walk 2 blocks to get some ice!
Very upset about this being a senior citizen. Will not stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Johnnyru46
Northamptonshire
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed here in 2013 and loved it so much that we came back this year. Massive resort but so quiet and relaxing to come back to after a day at the parks.

Requested building 18 as it's close to Millers Road bus stop and quiet pool, along with being in walking distance from Hospitality House and Peninsular Road, which is the first stop the bus makes on its way back from the parks. We stayed in a studio, which was really spacious with a small kitchenette area, 2 queen beds and a balcony overlooking the water and golf course. Kitchenette includes microwave, coffee maker and mugs, along with paper plates etc.

As we're not DVC members, housekeeping called every day when we were out to service the room, even leaving us notes to say thanks for the tip we left! They even washed up for us a couple of times and left us some nice towel art!

Be sure to do your research and request a room that suits you. We liked the quiet pool at Millers Road as it was nearly always empty and if you are staying in a studio without laundry facilities you can use the machines poolside and swim whilst you wash your clothes! Bus stop is just over the road and is the penultimate stop before leaving for the parks. Bus service is excellent, we never waited longer than 15 mins and always got a seat.

Hospitality House has a well stocked shop with plenty of snacks, souvenirs and emergency supplies. If buying water it's worth asking for a gallon bottle as they have them out back in the storeroom and they are much cheaper than the smaller bottles out on display.

The only negative of this resort is the limited counter service meal options as there is no food court. That along with the noisy machine that 'dries' the golf course in the morning as it can be annoying if nearby and you want to sleep in!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Kathryn33
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I love the theme and coming here is like taking a holiday at Old Key West.

I LOVE to get Breakfast every morning at Olivia's Cafe and getting the boat to Downtown Disney in the evening.

The pool area is really nice and there are even smaller pools dotted around so you don't have to use the main pool. I like to sit by the smaller pools while i use the laundry room situated next to the pool.

I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple