“Is Disney Service Slipping?”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #74 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Huntington Beach, California
“Is Disney Service Slipping?”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I booked this reservation approximately 7 months ago and immediately put in a request for a ground floor (approximately 1/3 of all units in the "near hospitality house category") and the Peninsular Road area (over half of the units in the "near hospitality house category).

I did online check in 10 days before arrival and re-confirmed that my requests were still there.

When I checked in, there was no mention of my requests and I was given a room on the third floor NOT in the Peninsular Road area. The person who checked me in went and spoke with a manager who then came out and spoke with me. She said that they didn't have ANY rooms on the ground floor, and didn't even have any rooms on the 2nd floor. When I finally gave up on the ground floor idea, I simply asked if I could be placed in the Peninsular Road area of the resort (per my request on my reservation). I was told there was nothing available and also that there was nothing that met my requests available for a room move the next day.

I was not being picky or particular, my requests covered a large percentage of the rooms in the resort. I feel like my requests were blatantly ignored and I was lied to regarding the availability of other units. This is no way to say "Welcome Home".

This is our 5th stay at a Disney Vacation Club property and the first time our requests have been blatantly ignored. I know requests are not guaranteed and are subject to availability, but with such broad requests as "Ground Floor" (over 1/3 of all units) "Peninsular Road" (Over half of all units in the HH category), it is unbelievable that at least one of my requests was not met.

I definitely did not feel "Welcomed Home."

Our room was in building 14 on the third floor, with no elevators. You can imagine how fun it was lugging our double stroller up and down 3 flights of stairs multiple times per day. The building was right next to the entrance road to the resort, and we could hear loud busses, even with our door closed, all day and night.

Immediately upon arriving to our room, I noticed that there was no weather stripping on the front door. I called maintenance and they said they would send someone to take care of it. We left to go swimming. When we got back (about 2 hours later), there was no weather stripping. I called again and let them know this was my second time calling. We then left the room to go to Dinner. When we returned that night, STILL no weather stripping. The next morning before leaving for the theme parks, I called again. I made sure to let the agent know that this was my THIRD TIME calling for such a simple request. When we returned to the room 12 hours later there was still no weather stripping. Only after going back to the front desk and asking to speak with a manager was our problem resolved. It took a total of 4 requests to get this basic maintenance issue fixed. The issue was never really fixed, as they used cheap stick on weatherstripping instead of the more robust kind that is nailed in. Due to the Florida humidity, the weather stripping was constantly falling down all week even after it was "fixed."

We stayed for a week. The maintenance and upkeep in the unit was in dire need of help. The walls were stained and had scuffs. The ceiling in the bathroom had mold growing on it. The drywall underneath the HVAC unit had obvious water damage. We returned one night to find a lizard in our room. My wife was bitten by a spider in our room. These are not things I would expect from a resort that Disney classifies as "Deluxe."

On a more positive note, the facilities of the resort are excellent. It is obvious they pay way more attention to the outside of the buildings and communal facilities than they do to the inside of the units. The main pool was always clean and well staffed. Our kids had a great time at the playground and water slide. It was really nice having a sit down restaurant (Olivia's) and quick service restaurant so close by. Also, the boat transportation to Downtown Disney was excellent.

I would rate the service we received as 1 stars, the condition of the unit as 2 stars, and the resort amenities as 5 stars.

Room Tip: None of the buildings have elevators, so request a ground floor unit.
6 Thank hbsprite

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (764)
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We love Orlando and usually hire a villa with the offer of free disney dining we decided to book Old Key West. Disappointed never! Rooms were beautiful, staff kind and only too,happy to help! The resort pools and entertainment were amazing. The buses were plentiful and you never waited for long. We had a exceptional experience and are back home to save to go again! Thank you Key West for a holiday we will never forget! X

Room Tip: We had a suite which Included a small kitchenette which had two queen beds ideal!
2 Thank Knickers99
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I am a DVC member and spent alot of money on my points. We arrived yesterday and was given a 1 bedroom villa. We transfered from port orleans riverside and had dinner reservations so we quickly entered the room and dropped our stuff and went to MK for dinner and fun. We arrived around 1 am and discovered that the room we were given was not cleaned. The trash was full, beds dirty, beer bottle caps on floor, straws and paper strewn about, tooth paste on the sink, jacuzzi tub with adirt ring ariund it, shower was nasty with hair in it and the previous guests toiletries... and the list goes on. We called down at 1:30am to complain about this andspoke with housekeeping and told them about the issues and requested new bedding..the houskeeping manager called back and we were offered a different room but declined as we did not want to move at this time of night and instead elected for clean sheets etc to be sent up . I lodged a huge complaint with the manager and requested follow up this morning. She stated we could have a VIP room clean at 10 am so not sure why the housekeeper was banging on our door at 730 am. I was able to meet with the houskeeping manager and show him everything wrong. Now to make things worse we had no toilet paper and had to use kleenex. He was very apologetic and sincere. We were given a $200 roo credit and a savings of one nights worth of points. Not what I call going above and beyond .. I stated that this is horrible service etc...and the compensation was pathetic. I was going to buy more points on this vacation..Infact I have $25,000 for more points but will hold off. I am slated to come back in feb to this resort but will be changing that to another resort.

Room Tip: Try and get a room near a bus stop...olivias restaurant is very good for dinner
23 Thank CantonDude
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Great family style resort for younger kids. The rooms and resort common areas are outstanding. Several pools/Golf Courses to choose from and it's on Disney property! The rooms have full kitchens and the Disney Theme Rooms are really cool for the kids!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jasper B
Pittsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We are DVC members and have always enjoyed Old Key West Resort. The rooms are larger than any on property and the resort has a relaxing feel to it. As a couple with no children, we appreciate the adult theming and atmosphere. It's lovely being on the canal and having Downtown Disney just a boat ride away. We have never had issues with the bus service and have always enjoyed our stay. This trip was no different - relaxing.

We were in room 4116, a studio, near the Old Turtle Pond pool. The room had a very, very musty odor that was a bit annoying and headache inducing. We got used to it the more we were in the room but upon entry every time it was very noticeable. Our other issue, though not Disney's fault, were our neighbors. We had a connecting room door that we obviously kept locked but the neighbors found it amusing to open their side, knock on our door at all hours, and were generally very rude. We ignored them.

We will be back to OKW in the future. If you see Marianne, who works in recreation, say hello. She's super nice and has been at OKW for many years.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa_October
South Of England
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Let me start by saying this is out third Disney resort, the other two states were in Saratoga Springs Resort, where we had a one bedroom suite, I have to be honest, the room was a Studio Suite, good quite large, two large beds, a kitchenette and a nice size bathroom, shower in bath was excellent, but as we had, had a one bed suite you can't help but compare there is a huge difference in what you get when you book a one bed suite, if you can afford it that is the way to go. We had a room at the furthest away from the reception, who's normally would not have been an issue, but when you have the dining plan and you get free refills on drinks, it was about a 10 to 15 minute walk to reception, it was only on the last but one day that I was told there is a pool area within walking distance from out room where you could get refills. The hotel itself is lovely very well maintained and staff are exceptional, the only issue was other guests the main pool and foods to go area was a nightmare and there is nothing the staff can do about it.

Tip. We had the free dining plan and this plan is great unless you are like us and do no eat a great deal. On the normal dining plan you get a counter service, a snack, and a table service a day and free refills on drinks at your resort, we were a party on three there for two weeks which meant we got 42 of each, we did use all our table credits and the meals were good, we used our snacks the last 21 on our last day by getting packets of biscuits and sweets to bring home, but we did not use thirty of our counter services we just felt full all the time. To be honest it really is a good idea but not for small eaters.

Room Tip: Try not to be too far away from reception
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank travellerUK
Halifax
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have previously stayed at Saratoga Springs twice so thought we would stay here for a change.

We had a studio which was a good size, room was clean and cleaners came every day to change the towels and clean up.

We did have a problem with the safe which took 3 phone calls and 2 days to sort out (not Disney standard customer service!!) and the wi fi was poo for the first couple of days but these were minor issues.

Main pool was nice, we also had a smaller pool near our room which was fine.

Bus service was fantastic - we normally waited 10 mins and the worst was about 30 minutes which was a one off. Sometimes (in the morning) buses would come every 10 mins if you had just missed one. We were at South Point (stop 2) and because of the size of the resort it did take another 10 mins to do all the other stops but after that most of the parks were only a few minutes away (Epcot about 8 mins / HS 10 mins / MK 15 mins)

Boat service to Downtown is a nice thing to do, especially at night. Resort has a very relaxed feel, like the music on the buses which is a nice touch.

If we go again i did prefer Saratoga Springs slightly but would have no hesitation in staying here again if necessary.

Room Tip: Try for a room that doesn't face the roads as you can hear the buses going round at times, also...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family