“Wonderful stay!”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #70 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 12 June 2010

This was a wonderful trip! The check-in and out were very easy. Our room was ready by noon. The rooms are beautiful and large. The employees are all very friendly. The grounds are very pretty and peaceful. We loved the pool and waterslide. Also enjoyed the boat ride to Downtown Disney. The only downside to our stay is that the bus ride to the parks takes a while since there are several stops to make inside the resort.
As long as you aren't in a hurry and like a laid-back vacation, this is the place to be!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Disney's Old Key West Resort

Reviewed 7 June 2010

I went to Disneyworld with my three grown children (21 to 26) and my son in law. This was my first time staying at a DVC as it's fairly recent that Disney switched to RCI and I used my timeshare to swap for a week at Old Key West. I'd read that the resort was in need of updating and showing it's age but it was the only DVC that was available when I was searching for accomodation at Disneyworld.

I have to say I was satisfied and fairly happy we stayed at the Old Key West. The two bedroom unit was quite large with lots of living space and a full kitchen. The units here are larger than the newer DVC's. We were on the ground floor with a covered patio looking out over a pond and the golf course. We had coffee out there a couple of mornings and it was quite peaceful. Is the unit getting a bit dated? Sure but it gets a lot of traffic and it was very clean. Does it need updating with new furniture? Oh you bet it does, but none of the furniture was broken, torn or worn badly. The buildings and grounds are very well maintained so we were satisfied with our unit. Not thrilled but satisfied.

I asked for and was given a ground floor unit because I had to rent an electric cart as I need a new hip. (Please don't hate me if I was the one who ran into you or cut you off or stopped in front of you suddenly. I'm a rookie!) I also asked for and received a building close to the main building and pool because I can walk short distances and didn't want to bring a cart to the pool area. The resort is very spread out so if you are staying anywhere but very close to the main buildings you need to hop a bus to get to get there. Buses are frequent so you won't wait long but still it's just one more time you're standing in line waiting. Not sure I'd want to wait for a bus back to the condo in a wet bathing suit and sandals.

We used the snack shack for a quick take out breakfast one morning and we had a couple of drinks at the bar one night and a snack at Olivia's while we were waiting for the bus to the airport. Other than that we didn't spend much time at the main lobby or pool area, we spent all our time at the parks. Even so I'm very glad we got a building close to the lobby. I have to say the bar tender was really great and very funny. He knew several guests by name which is talent all it's own, and made everyone feel very welcome. He also kept us laughing. The bar is VERY SMALL so if it's a busy time you're not going to be able to sit down.

Bus service to the parks was ok but not great. They are supposed to come every twenty minutes but we had to wait over a half hour many times before the bus we needed arrived. The resort was not busy when we were there. I can imagine it would be a bigger problem when the resort is full and the number of people start to pile up at the bus stops. One day it was taking close to an hour and we decided to take the next bus no matter where it was headed. Luckily it was going where we wanted in the first place. The travel time to the parks is reasonable, except for the Magic Kingdom. That ride did seem particularly long.

My only complaints are fairly minor.
The resort "theme" is not very distinct and not very Disney.
Waits for bus a bit long
Too spread out if you're not close to the main building
Kitchen could use a couple more utensils
Store on site only had very few items so if you want to use the kitchen for meals you need to go shopping somewhere off property or arrange to have it delivered.
The coffee machine needs filters but you can't get any from housekeeping or from the store, altough they sell ground coffee which we couldn't use without filters.
Bell services lost one of our bags and we missed the scheduled bus to the airport, but eventually my daughter got one of the bellmen to take her to where they stored the baggage and located it herself. The bag storage was moved because of the construction. They offered to send us in a taxi but the next bus arrived before the taxi and we made it to the airport with no problems at all.

If we go back I'll try to get a unit at the Beach Club or the Boardwalk, if they are available. If not, I'd be willing to return to Old Key West. Hey, anywhere in Disneyworld is better than somewhere else!

5  Thank kahuna1959
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We just returned from a 6 night stay at Old Key West and I have nothing but good comments about this property. Well, except for the construction going on at Hospitality House but that was a minor convenience.

I had requested a 2 bedroom villa on the first floor near a bus stop and I got exactly that. Our room was not ready when we arrived but they offered to text me when it was and I got that text within an hour or so.

We had a two bedroom villa and I was truly impressed with the sheer size and the appointments. I especially appreciated the full sized washer and dryer and the Jacuzzi tub. It was also nice to have a TV in each bedroom as well as in the living area. I cannot think of a single ammenity that was lacking.

The villa was also very clean and well maintained. The daily housekeeping service was wonderful. Our patio looked out onto a lush garden area.

I also cannot say enough about the cast members at the resort. Everyone went out of their way to accommodate our needs. The Bell Desk held our bags when we arrived and then delivered them to our villa at 2am when we requested it. They also helped us to ship a large package home when we checked out.

I especially appreciated the bright "Welcome Home" we received from each cast member we met during our stay. They were very friendly.

I will agree that the restaurant, Olivia's, was less than wonderful but the general store was very handy. I will also agree that the resort is sprawling but once we learned we could hop on any Disney bus inside the resort and be dropped off at Hospitality House we had no problems.

The average commute to any park was about 15 minutes but the buses came frequently. We did see a great deal of the property as the buses stopped at each of the bus stops but that is a small price to pay in my opinion. The property is quite lovely.

All in all, I think Old Key West is a wonderful property and it certainly met our needs. I was able to get an excellent rate even though I am not a DVC member. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank QOE
Reviewed 31 May 2010

We spent three nights at the hotel. It was a gift from DVC member. We arrived around 11 am at Hospitality House. Surprisingly we got early check in. While we were carried to our 1 bedroom room by trolley the guy explained the bus schedule, made brief overview of the hotel and said that the villa we got was just renovated. When we went to the room somebody was there fixing the air conditioning. Also the room was not made up. Because it was before the official check in time we though that it will be done later. We drop the luggage and went to one of the parks. When we come back at around 10 pm completely dead the room was not made up!!! We called the reception and the room was changed (or we had an alternative to wait when current room will be made up). The other room was more dashed in comparison with the previous one but it was ok. As it was mentioned in other reviews – the room itself is big enough with the kitchen and the fridge. The issue we had that in the evening the bus noise was very annoying as the bus makes the loop just in front of the villa so the driver should accelerate. Because we were so tired after transatlantic we were barely fine with that. The real issue was the cleaning. Needless to say that the toilet should be clean!!! before new guests arrived. The whole room can be cleaned much better. During our trip the other **motels were cleaner that this Disney’s Resort. Also please remember that DVC members are not getting cleaning services. The idea that you are living at home. Internet is free for members. There is no WiFi so you are limited by the cable. Also there are discounts for some water parks (10%). But you have to ask at the counter as it is not automatically provided.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We just returned from a week at Old Key West, Disney World. Our 2 bedroom villa overlooked a beautiful lake and was quite large. It had everything a group of 6 needed, including plenty of space.
The villa was well maintained and very nice. Housekeeping was great. The resort is, of course, nicely groomed and Disney all around.

Biggest frustration (and this is when the resort is only moderately busy) was transportation. Waiting for the bus was at least 20 minutes, then another 15 to 20 minutes to any attraction. I am not exaggerating. In addition, the resort is so big that you will definitely be far away from the Main House and its store, pool and restaurants.

The "fancy" restaurant is pricey and the food was not good. The snack bar was fine. The pool was fine as well.

So - a good deal? - it was the best option for 6 people. Again, great space - fully equipped kitchen, washer/dryer, iron, two full baths, so that is all on the plus side.

Con- they charge $10.00 per day for internet per computer

Reviewed 24 May 2010

We had a studio room, it was enough for our family. The bathroom was nice and I could get ready in there without waking the children. The sink and counter space was inside the bathroom. We had view of the golf course. The room was big enough for my kids to play and it was clean. The fridge kept everything very cold. Transportation was great, we barely drove once we got there. We ate at Goods and we enjoyed it. The staff was friendly and helpful. We would stay again.

Reviewed 24 May 2010

We went May 1 to 7, 2010 with our two kids and stayed at a 2 bedroom villa. The bus stops are really far away from the buildings. I have read about that before we arrived, so during check in I asked for a building near the Hospitality House, but it really didn't help. The second day of our stay we walked to the bus stop, just to be informed they are starting some construction work at the Hospitality House, so we had to move to another bus stop. The rest of our stay we walked to a really far bus stop. Not to mention the long rides the buses did inside the hotel before they stop at ours.
The cleanliness wasn't so good, it was average.
The worst thing of all (for me) was that they don't provide wifi at the rooms. The only internet service is broadband for $9.99 a 24 hour period. The real problem is they only provide one port and is located at the living room, so if someone is using the sleeper sofa you can't use internet!!!. Really bad!

1  Thank Karensky3