“Great resort for families”

Ranked #32 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We live in Miami and we go often to Orlando to entertain relatives visiting from Europe. We like the Hyatt Grand Cypress because room are large, clean and renovated, the resort is large, staff is friendly. It is a very big hotel, but the rooms are well insulated, and the beds are comfortable. For the price, it is a bargain, I will go again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PurosLoverUSA

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is a beautiful resort. The rooms are typical of any hyatt. Modern, nice decor. The bathroom layout is a bit odd, and no lock on the bathroom door could be improved. The restaurants have good food, and the staff is kind and attentive. The gem is the pool, its one of the best at any hotel I've stayed at (save maybe the Crane in Barbados). Like many hotels such as this the extra fees can be a little maddening. Internet costs extra, there is a daily "resort fee" of $25, plus $11 to self park, and $25 for valet. Personally I'd rather have a higher upfront cost per night and not all this nickel and diming me. Its just minutes front the Disney property and has some great activities for kids, even if the hotel is generally geared towards business travelers. (this is my second stay there in 4 years and I made sure to return)

Room Tip: If you get a pool view room you'll be able to see the fireworks over Epcot in the distance.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Thank you for your review and offering five points even though you were a bit maddened. Most resorts do charge a resort fee but in our case, we offer a great value as there are so many choices in things to do. The internet is included with our fee. We never take our guest feedback for granted and appreciate you taking the time to do so in this forum. We hope you will return yet again in the future and that you also have another five point experience.

Steven M Ballot
Guest Relations
Steven.Ballot@Hyatt.com

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This property has always been near and dear to my heart. Have stayed there numerous times and the experience was always the best! So sad that after their negligence they have still not rectified the situation. This is not the Hyatt that I know. It is also not the Hyatt spirit that has set them apart. Maybe on the next Orlando trip we will try the new Hilton Bonnet, they have a lazy river.... Note: Beds were very small and tough for two ppl. to sleep in.... Should have queens

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank marelise22
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights as part of our honeymoon. Overall it is a beautiful, huge resort with great amenities and so much to do. It is a very clean resort with beautiful surroundings. There are definite positives to this resort, but I must say their customer service is poor and they overcharge for many things. Let me explain the good and bad:

The Good:
The resort is huge so if you like that and you enjoy a wide variety of activities to do, this is a great place. The pool area is huge, complete with waterfalls, a “grotto” and water slide. It’s beautifully laid out and there are plenty of chairs for everyone. I was able to find a quiet area and just relax for hours one afternoon. They also have servers that will come around and take a food or drink order and deliver it to your chair, which is awesome. I did think a non-alcoholic pina colada was a bit expensive at $8.00, but oh well. They also have a small lake and man-made beach area, and you can kayak, paddleboat, and do other water activities on the lake. We didn’t have time to do that, but it looked cool.

They have several restaurants on-site; we did not try them and I only used the Starbucks in the main lobby, but it’s nice to have that option. They also have a great fitness center that is huge and equipped with very new equipment with TV’s build into the consoles and a huge variety of TV stations. There are so many cool outdoor spaces to just lounge around outside, read, sit by a fire pit, have a drink, etc. I wish we’d had more time to do that when we stayed here.

Our room was nice with a king bed, couch, very large walk-in shower, a fridge, flat-screen TV, and nice décor. The room was on the smaller side, but it was still nice. We had a balcony overlooking the pool and lake and the view was gorgeous; the downside was that none of the balconies are big enough for chairs, so you can only stand there but you can’t sit down. That was a bummer but we still loved the view.

In terms of location, it’s about 15 minutes from Disney, Epcot, and the other major parks. That was really nice.

The Bad:
I did not find their customer service to be good at all, considering how expensive it is to stay here. When we checked in, a young woman named “Anaiis” was pretty rude to us. I stepped up to the desk to check in, and without even making eye contact with me, she gruffly said, “no, I’m working on something else, so-and-so will take care of you.” Then she turned her back on me. She didn’t even smile or make eye contact with me. Very bad first impression. Then on our second day there, the maids put a note under our door at 8:32am that they could not service our room because we had the “do not disturb” sign on our door. I called down to the front desk to ask if that meant we couldn’t get service all day. I explained the note under our door, and the woman I spoke to was incredibly rude and gave me attitude, saying to me, “I don’t even know what note you’re talking about. Of course you can get maid service. You just call down when you need it.” She was speaking down to me as if I was an idiot. I was really surprised at her rude tone.

They charge you $17.00 per day to self-park in a lot around the side of the property, which I thought was ridiculous since we were self-parking. Why should we pay to self-park at an open lot at a resort when we are already paying for our room? They also charge $25.00 per day as a “resort fee”, which includes wi-fi and use of all amenities. I really don’t get this since we’re already paying a pretty hefty price to stay there each night. A lot of the resorts do this, and I think it’s a rip off.

Lastly, we found it odd that there was no where to hang wet towels and wet bathing suits, etc. anywhere in our room. The balconies do not have chairs, so you can't dry your stuff outside. There's one hook in the bathroom and that's it. Since the shower is floor to ceiling glass, you can't hang a towel over a shower rack or anything. We were draping our wet stuff over our couch which was not the best place for them.

Overall:
Like I stated above, overall a beautiful resort with great amenities and very pretty surroundings. I just think they need to train their customer service people to be a bit more polite and courteous, and they should think about taking away that parking fee and reducing the resort fee. I’d stay here again but I’d be wary of those things.

Room Tip: Choose a room that faces the pool and marina with a balcony, even though you can't sit on the ba...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ChicagoTraveler105
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Beautiful property with great pools and poolside restaurant. We spent our days away so really didn't fully use this. We stayed 4 nights. We ate poolside one night and it was really good and reasonably priced. Unfortunately we went during the little miss pageant. Upon check in our room that we reserved was not available. The hotel was full to capacity. We had to change rooms the second night. The lady next to me was being sent to another Hyatt for one night because they did not have her reserved room. They were giving her the night free and she was returning the next night. Many issues for many people were observed while we were in line to check in. The elevators were so full with girls, dresses and their guests that we waited forever to go up or down. According to the hotel staff it is common for them to have large groups most of the summer. The self parking lot was full every night. Plan on valet parking when there are no spots left. The ice was out on all lower floors. We had to check several floors to get ice. I would only stay here again if I knew they were not hosting a pageant or other large group.

Room Tip: Call ahead and make sure the hotel is not full to capacity.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank skd22
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend and my immediate family. The location was so beautiful being right there on the lake and the hotel itself is very large and feels great when you walk in. The rooms were clean and very nice as well with nice views of the pool. You don't even need to go to a water park they have their own little water park from the huge pools to the grottos the big slide and jacuzzis, and then you can go kayaking right on the lake. All included it's not like you have to pay to use the extra amenities. My family and I enjoyed it very much will probably be back since we live in Florida, but if we go to orlando we will be back to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for choosing our hotel to be your very first review on Trip Advisor. We are glad you had a great time and that you will choose to stay with us again. We appreciate your five point rating. Please recommend us to your family and friends.

Steven M Ballot
Guest Relations
Steven.Ballot@Hyatt.com

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We decided on a 'staycation' being that we live in Florida. I have to say that at first I was opposed to the idea.
But then he brings me here. Let's just say I changed my mind!
Yes, our room is fantastic.
With the purchase of our stay we are able to enjoy all that this resort has to offer. The pool area, golf, biking and jogging trails. I'm currently relaxing by the pool while my love golf's away. Later we'll be on the lake canoeing! What a peaceful retreat this has been:)
The small downside is that you have to pay $17 a day for parking:/
We extended our trip one more night because it's just that special!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple