“Great alternative to one of the resort properties”

Ranked #27 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great alternative to one of the resort properties”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

All my past Orlando trips have been for pleasure, and I always stay at one of the resort properties, so I had no idea about this amazing hotel. I stayed at this hotel for a conference, and it was a real treat. The location was amazing - right between Universal and Disney. The room was beautiful and had a tiny little balcony (only wide enough to stand), so based on which side of the hotel your room was located, you could view the fireworks from either Universal or Disney each night.

The room was spacious and comfortable with lots of drawers and closet space. There were tons of pillows on the bed (6 for a king-size), and I really appreciated the bedside shelf for storing electronics / books / glass of water, etc. The room was decorated in a very modern style - weird art and table lamps (it took me forever to figure out how to turn on the desk lamp). There was also a weird sliding door between the closet and bathroom, so that if you closed the door to the bathroom, the closet was wide open, and vice versa. I was not impressed by the water pressure in the waterfall style shower - not 100% sure I got all the conditioner out of my hair. The room service was amazing - they really have that figured out - whatever estimate they give you for delivery, they were spot on! The room service food options were pretty tasty as well.

The star of this hotel, however, is the sprawling pool, which was practically a water park. The pool was open 24 hours - after a long conference day, I loved being able to enjoy this amenity. This is definitely a family-oriented property, so there were always tons of kids around, and there is no adults-only private pool area, but I didn't mind. TIP: we left the pool area around midnight and they were starting to run out of towels, since there is no staff to refresh the supply overnight - so make sure to grab one earlier in the day if you're planning a late night dip.

On our last day, we took a quick trip over to Disney just for the morning before flying out. It's nice that the hotel runs a shuttle, but we discovered that Disney is so close, you don't really need it, especially if you want to move back and forth separate from the rigid shuttle schedule. We ended up taking a cab back, which was not very cost prohibitive.

The hotel had some solid dining options, although no shopping to speak of, but again Downtown Disney is right nearby. All of the staff were extremely courteous and helpful throughout our stay. I really enjoyed this hotel, except for the tons of mosquitoes. Not enough to keep me away from a resort property on a pleasure trip, but definitely a great choice while traveling on business. Also a solid choice for families.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank khp_infairfax

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (968)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Keller, Texas, United States
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

My 13 year old daughter and I stayed here for a family vacation to Disney and universal. It was a nice hotel although there is some evidence this hotel is older and needs a little refreshing, such as near the stairs above the restaurant. The swimming pool was amazing and we spent hours there. It has a slide that is monitored by staff, several waterfalls and an awesome cave. Our room was this spacious suite and the staff was wonderful. I would stay here again.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Eric C
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This was a very nice and clean hotel. I was there for a conference and took my husband and teenager. We ate at the hotel more than we would typically due to my schedule. The food was very, very good. Not close by to any restaurants without taking a taxi, which was frustrating - b/c of this reason I rated it as average. Pleasant staff, nice hotel bar - multiple restaurants on site. No airport shuttle or transport so you have to use taxi's a lot. Not worth paying extra for view of "Disney fireworks" as it's far away and hard to see - not very impressive.
Impressive swimming pool - bikes, small golf course, paddle boats.
Most of the concierge staff very helpful, especially the manager. One was grumpy and not helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Soosun3916
Dover, NH
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Wow, a beautiful sprawling resort with lots and lots of extras. This hotel has been around a while but has been well maintained. In typical Hyatt fashion, rooms are modern looking and fairly good sized. The lobby is not a warm and inviting place to hang out. However, the real gem here is the outdoor spaces. The pool area is one of the best around, with very comfortable chaise loungers, waterfalls and slide. Plus the hotel has miles of nature trails and offers complimentary use of bikes, paddle boats and rock climbing wall.
This hotel is relatively close to Downtown Disney, and offers complimentary shuttle service to the Disney theme parks.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mustravel4fun
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
We are glad you had a great time here and chose to review us with a five point rating. It is nice to read you loved the pool and feel it is the best around. You mention our lobby .... our new lobby floor will be completed in the next few months so I hope you come back to check it out.

Steven M Ballot
Guest Relations
Steven.Ballot@Hyatt.com
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We live in Miami and we go often to Orlando to entertain relatives visiting from Europe. We like the Hyatt Grand Cypress because room are large, clean and renovated, the resort is large, staff is friendly. It is a very big hotel, but the rooms are well insulated, and the beds are comfortable. For the price, it is a bargain, I will go again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PurosLoverUSA
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is a beautiful resort. The rooms are typical of any hyatt. Modern, nice decor. The bathroom layout is a bit odd, and no lock on the bathroom door could be improved. The restaurants have good food, and the staff is kind and attentive. The gem is the pool, its one of the best at any hotel I've stayed at (save maybe the Crane in Barbados). Like many hotels such as this the extra fees can be a little maddening. Internet costs extra, there is a daily "resort fee" of $25, plus $11 to self park, and $25 for valet. Personally I'd rather have a higher upfront cost per night and not all this nickel and diming me. Its just minutes front the Disney property and has some great activities for kids, even if the hotel is generally geared towards business travelers. (this is my second stay there in 4 years and I made sure to return)

Room Tip: If you get a pool view room you'll be able to see the fireworks over Epcot in the distance.