“this is a wonderful hotel”

Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #30 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 25 February 2012

we went in september with 2 other families . we found the hotel to be clean and very close to the magic kingdom . the rooms are modern but with all disney hotels they are very well laid out
i have stayed at several disney hotels and would definitely return to this hotel

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 February 2012

Loved our stay at Bay Lake Tower. The best park was being just a short walk away from the Magic Kingdom. We also enjoyed the convenience of the monorail. We stayed in a standard studio room and it was on the small side compared to the villas that we have stayed in the past. Also the noise level was high at times because the rooms are adjoined with other rooms and we could frequently hear the people staying in the room next to ours. Also the noise from the pool can be a little loud in the afternoon when we were attempting rest period for our 3 year old. We also enjoyed the dining options on site and the convenience of 24 hour room service. The cast members were extremely nice and helpful. The pool area was very nice and we enjoyed all of the amenities on site It was wonderful to see a view of the Magic Kingdom and Cinderella's Castle every time we walked over the walkway to the Contemporary.. We will definitely consider another stay here on our next trip to Disney.

Room Tip: We had a view of the bay but if we stay again we will definitely request a Magic Kingdom view room
6  Thank meagannm
Reviewed 9 February 2012

What an awesome location! A ten minute walk to Magic Kingdom and the first stop off the monorail when you come home. Stayed in a deluxe studio with our toddler. It had a bed and a sofa/pullout bed (they make them a lot better than they used to thank goodness), a small kitchenette w/ microwave and mini-fridge. There was also a mirror "vanity" area in the kitchenette which made it easy for me to do my hair/makeup while the bathroom was occupied. It was so much easy to catch the elevator here than in the contemporary and was quiet at night. The pool area is awesome and has a great slide and can only be used by Bay Lake occupants. Only con was they should provide a step stool for kids to reach the sink which seemed higher than normal.

The breezeway to the Contemporary was very short and you came in on the floor w/ a quick service restaurant which provided a reasonably priced breakfast and sandwiches. There was also a shop, market and arcade room.

The buses to the other parks came frequently and were convenient. From here you stopped at the Polynesian then went on to the park. On the way home from the parks you are the first spot they drop off.

Take advantage of the late park hours offered to those staying at Disney resorts. We had Magic Kingdom to ourselves one evening there wasn't a wait at any ride. And they didn't enforce the 40 inches. Our toddler (38 inches) rode Splash Mtn that night but they wouldn't let him on during the day. And yes, he loved it!

2  Thank CastrovilleTX
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Bay Lake is a beautiful resort but the customer service from the Contemporary is the worst. They allow someone who is drunk and disruptive at midnight continue their stay because they say he was accommodating but when you tell them the next morning they were moving patio furniture around til 2 am and the next morning your the one who is put out even though you were there all week. Doesn't matter if your a vacation club owner in this resort. We've had issues with attitude from the guy at the front desk at Bay Lake and getting our dining plan with this resort was a nightmare with changing your dining plan and your room keys. Will never stay here again.

My maid saw how upset I was and told me that they have given VIP service to people who just complained about a hair on the floor of the bathroom. She called her manager to make sure they know what is happening and for them to speak to the night manager because no guest should have their vacation ruined because someone wants to get drunk with the guys and bring them back to his room. This isn't Las Vegas, this is supposed to be a place for families.

Room Tip: The maid staff was excellent and very helpful through all of this!
4  Thank Tracey T
Reviewed 6 February 2012

The Bay Lake Tower is truly magical. The rooms are spacious and full of amenities - e.g. DVD player, full kitchen, W/D. The bathroom w/large whirlpool tub and separate shower is delightful. The decor is clean and simple yet the furnishings are quite comfortable.

The pool is great fun - second only to the Beach Club/Yacht Club's Stormalong Bay. There is a large waterslide for the big kids and also a small waterslide and sandy beach for younger ones. And of course there is a hot spa to warm you up afterward.

There is a lounge on the top of the hotel that serves drinks and serves as a fireworks viewing platform for those staying at the Bay Lake without a view of the Magic Kingdom from their room (though if you and your family are feeling lazy, the elevator lobbies provide an excellent view of the fireworks as well).

The dining at the Contemporary is varied and uniformly delicious (though it must be said, rather expensive). We love the California Grill and have visited it repeatedly over the years, but this trip we visited the Wave as well and were pleasantly surprised. Chef Mickey delivers quality a cut above it's buffet nature. And when you need a quick bite the Contempo Cafe does a fine job.

But best of all is the location - you can walk to the Magic Kingdom and monorail to EPCOT...so most of your trip will be 'bus-free'. And because the Contemporary is uniquely part of both the MK's monorail and water taxi service you can easily and quickly get to all of the other MK resorts as well.

Over the past few years Disney has decided to make their resorts destinations in their own right. So the easy trip by monorail or water taxi to all these resort restaurants (and perhaps more importantly with children, the quick ride home) helps make staying at the Bay Lake Tower a joy.

I have only three 'warnings' and they are more quibbles than truly warnings. First, there really is no 'fast casual' dining option at the Contemporary because the restaurant targeted to that niche - 'Chef Mickey' - is LOVED by all. So book ahead or prepare to wait. Second, food in the lounge atop the Bay Lake tower seems to have been an afterthought - I think it comes from a kitchen they added in the basement. So avoid anything that needs to be cooked and enjoy the drinks and snacks. And third, if you face the lake (and this includes some of the rooms inside the horseshoe of the hotel) keep in mind that there will be a water show late in the evening. Very cool, very pretty, but very capable of keeping little ones awake.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Leo M
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Convenient location for sure. We saw the castle every day when crossing the sky bridge. Had all the amenities we wanted and needed and then some more. The washer dryer is actually in a little laundry closet where empty suitcases can be stored. I liked that alot. Spacious one bedroom suite for 5 people, clean and decor was really nice. Extra pillows were missing for the sofa sleeper but I called the front desk and they appeared promptly. The sofa sleeper has little give so be prepared for a firm sleep. Our daughter (4) loved the chair sleeper and had no problems with it. The television airs Duffy bedtime stories which she loved. A/C unit kept the room comfortable.

Room Tip: We had a lake view which also overlooked the pool. The one bedroom can accommodate 5 people but jus...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Torymk
Reviewed 1 February 2012

For lots of reasons I never really thought I'd enjoy Disney. But my oldest keeps getting older and she is such a dreamy kid, still (at 10) loves fairies and princesses and all things sparkly and magical, so it seemed time to take the plunge. As a Disney newbie my learning curve was steep -- I had no idea all the details it paid to consider! I spent hours planning and researching the trip and it was truly amazing. I chose Bay Lake Tower and it couldn't have been better. The location is perfect, especially with younger kids because it is so close to Magic Kingdom (I hadn't even really realized that Disney encompasses a whole bunch of parks) and is right on the monorail. The room was smallish but clean, up to date in terms of design and amenities, and it had a kitchen! (a frig, microwave and coffee maker) Somehow I didn't realize this when I booked it but the tower I guess is part of the vacation club so they have some really special perks. I definitely would have brought along fruit and other healthy snacks and food options if I'd realized. Also, upstairs is a special room for vacation club folks and the people at the Tower -- we never made it up but heard the view for fireworks was awesome! There are a bunch of really wonderful dining options at the Contemporary -- we loved The Wave and my husband enjoyed sitting at the bar at the California Grill... the kids and I were too tuckered out from walking a thousand miles a day (again -- had no idea how much walking you do, even when you stick to just Epcot and Magic Kingdom) to eat anywhere too schmancy, but he LOVED it. If you plan far enough ahead, I would make dinner reservations there early enough to see the fireworks over the castle... we only had a 6 or 8 week lead time and I discovered many reservations were impossible to get at kid-friendly times. At The Wave we liked sitting in the cool round blue rooms by the bar -- the kids loved the ambiance (kind of like being inside Jeannie's bottle!) and the food was really good with fairly diverse options -- LOVED the edamame with sweet chili sauce -- genius! Could also get great coffee in the Contemporary lobby each morning. I was a little overwhelmed by the faster service option, but by the end (a little late!) I was starting to get the hang of the meal plan and learning the ropes in the Contempo Cafe -- you really can find healthy options, and we really had a hard time using our meal plan points. For us that was a waste, though I imagine if we went back I'd have a much better handle on it. I would advise talking with the concierge or someone in the cafe right at the beginning if you're new to it the way I was. For example, I didn't realize I could stock up on water bottles and fresh fruit under the plan, and so on. Another lovely thing was the two pools to choose from -- both with snack bars, hot tubs and water features for the kids. They often had special things in the evenings for the kids as well -- movies under the stars, roasting marshmallows on the beach, trivia games and dance parties. One evening we took the boat, right from the Contemporary dock, over to the Wilderness Lodge for dinner -- again, for the children, another magical adventure. Even with the proximity to the Magic Kingdom, believe it or not my best advice would be to bring a stroller -- I ended up renting one every day for my two kids (6 & 10)... we used it a lot of the time just for holding stuff, but both kids rode in it a lot as well, and it gave me a good place to sit every now and again! Finally, all the staff we came into contact with was wonderful, helpful and friendly: maintenance folks, the smiley life guards at the pools, boat drivers, monorail workers, hotel staff, everyone was lovely!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family