“Barely Disney-themed complex which needs improvements”

Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #32 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 6 February 2011

This "modern" contemporary style appartment complex, barely Disney-themed, is situated next to a calm lake in the extreme North of the Disney property. It is a 10 minute walk to Magic Kingdom, but one of the farthest situated from the other parks and areas.
The friendly and helpfull front desk is at the adjacent Contemporary Hotel, which is a 5 minute walk. Also the nearest restaurants, shops, monorail and bus stops are here.
Our room was upgraded to a disabled accessible studio. This had it's pros and cons! My preference for a higher floor was not assigned. Instead we received a half lake, half park view.
A park view has sight on a parking lot and in the distance the park. The disabled accessible studio is spacious and has in contrast with the studio the kitchenette separated from the bathroom sink. The brown grained kitchenette has a microwave, toaster and a small fridge. The spacious beige and green tinted bathroom with handrails has a shower, a seperate bath and a sink with space to stow away toiletry. The shower heads pressure is to strong for usage. The bathroom's stone floor is extremely slippery. The colourfull combined living and bed room has a very comfortable queen size bed, a medium sleeper sofa with foot bench and a table for two. On the tastefull design cabinet a flat screen, DVD-player and an Ipod dockstation, only for a Nano, are placed. The combined stowing place and closet is to low to hang up cloths. And there is no full size mirror in the studio.
The cleaning is average but done on-time. Usualy the bathroom amenities where not replaced or presented nicely with label front. Ones the bathroom's floor was not mopped and some towels where not folded.
This appartment complex is good, but less compared to hotels in the same price category. There is no "magic feeling" as there is hardly no obvious Disney theming. The cleaning could be more accurately, and some important room features have to be improved. This complex is not recommendable for people looking for the "magic feeling" nor for people expecting a top notch accomodation.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TomKuhne
Write a ReviewReviews (1,761)

Reviewed 3 February 2011

Stayed 7 nights in October. My children & grandchildren stayed in a 2BR MK view. We stayed in a Studio with MK view. We all had plenty of room & very comfortable accommodations. The kitchen in the 3 BR easily serviced the 9 of us. There is a Publix less than 10 minutes away which made getting food, beer & wine a breeze.
Our 10th floor view was partially of the Magic Kingdom & partially the side & rear of the Contemporary.
The rooms were very quiet but the noise from the loading area of the Contemporary was annoying. We were aroused every morning by delivery & garbage trucks backing in to the loading docks.
Everyone absolutely loved the facility. Watching the fireworks from your balconies every night was wonderful. We even got to watch them practice the Christmas show after the park was closed. The pool area and surrounding grounds are beautiful.
It was a bit inconvenient having to go to the Contemporary for everything, but it was overshadowed by the convenience of being on the Monorail & only a 5 minute walk from the MK.
I’ve read the service & cast members are not as nice here, but it seems when you treat them nicely, they can not do enough for you.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2011

#1 if you are going to the Magic Kingdom this is the BEST location you can find. It was GREAT.
#2 It SHOULD be a great resort. We have stayed at 4 other disney vacation club resorts and there were great. Everyone in our party was VERY impressed.
#3 The rooms are set up to comfortably fit a group by putting a full 3rd bathroom in a 2 bedroom condo and I believe a 2nd bathroom in the 1 bedroom units.

Now the bad. The service is HORRIBLE.
We felt like the ugly step children of the contemporary.
Unlike the other DVC resorts you don't have your own front desk, etc
We got off the magic express and walked over to the bay lake towers with our luggage only to find out we had to walk back to the contemporary. How did we find this our because a security guard finally told us in a very rude "you idiot tone" when we finally got him to speak to us. They were rude at the contemporary when we checked in. I got a fed ex package from work when I was there and they wouldn't bring it to my room but told me I would have to walk over to the contemporary......it just went on and on.

The only internet was in the masterbedroom. Of course NOT the room I was staying in.
AND it didn't work!
The repairman had to come 3 times to get it to work and every day it wouldn't work unless I called the service and got them to reset it. WHAT a PAIN!

Anyway, I would recommend this place but Disney needs to make some improvements in staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Traveler89675
Reviewed 30 January 2011

If you travel with young children, Bay Lake Tower is wonderful. The place is at a short walking distance from Magic Kingdom - kids would hop in the stroller in the bedroom, and did not have to get off until their first ride of the day. The one-bedroom condo we booked had a nice clean kitchen (including everything you need - even a dishwasher). There was also a washer and dryer in the room, with detergent.
With toddlers, you spend a lot of time in your room, so you might as well rent something comfortable and roomy, where you can rest and where they can play. You will love to be able to have dinner in your condo, instead of going to a restaurant with crying kids who do not want to stay still. You just need to walk to the Contemporary (very close), and get yourself some food to go! Or the Market at the Comtemporary can sell you some groceries (bread, bagels, jam, milk, peanut butter, frozen pizzas, beer, wine, etc etc etc), that you can conveniently eat and drink at the condo. Would we go back there? In a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank troisquatrecinq
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Went with my sister, brother in law, their 2 year old, my husband and our 3 children. Beautiful hotel. Recently built and what a wonderful view from the hotel. Loved that fact the train would go right through the hotel, just what you need after a day of running around the park and the kids are ready for bed.

Recommend to get the food package otherwise it is VERY expensive. At the end of our trip we were trying to use up all of our food credits.

Would go again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2011

As DVC members we have a home resort of Animal Kingdom and Bay towers, and have stayed at both a few times. AK is a better hotel as far as ammenities, HOWEVER the location requires a bus ride to go anywhere, there is no problem in getting a bus BUT it adds as much as an hour to get to some locations. For example getting from AK to another resort hotel for a dinner reservation (Hoop-De-Doo at Fort Wilderness Resort).

BLT through the contemporary has connection to the Mono Rail and buses. Not that the buses are any quicker but one can visit all the locations on the Mono Rail which takes only few minutes.

Room for room (1 BR) we no no issues with either, although we do like the more contemporary settings of BT.

When traveling with grandchildren we prefer BLT However when without we prefer the AK as commute time not as critical.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I am a DVC member and my girlfriend, also a DVC member, and I stayed at this resort in a studio for 4 nights. I have stayed in other DVC studios and this was by far the smallest. There was literally a foot between the bed and the pull out sofa. The galley kitchen / bathroom sink setup is also a little weird. I was worried about getting hair in the kitchen area while drying my hair. The floor in the bathroom was exceptionally slippery, although we managed. I would have been scared that a small child could easily fall because the bath mat just slid across the floor when when either of us stepped on it. I also think there is a weird, dark area of wasted space near the entry door. We stored my friend's owner locker and our suitcases there. As others have said, the furniture is already starting to chip and show signs of weird and tear. Its a modern, Ikea-esque, style.

So - despite the not so good, this was a fabulous place to stay because of LOCATION. Plus we were fortunate enough to have a room that faced the lake AND the Magic Kingdom. Watching fireworks from the balcony was the best. We loved walking to the MK and I really enjoyed the path that runs from BLT to MK and then along the lagoon. I felt like I had my own private running path. The balcony was huge, so whatever size they sacrificed in the room went into the balcony. Walking to and from the Halloween party can't be beat.

As DVC members staying on point, we had the luxury of being allowed to pool hop. While the BLT pool looks cool when standing 9 floors above it, it was a little under whelming up close. Plus it was very shallow. It's just an averaged themed pool, as far as Disney pools go. However, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at the Poly and the Grand Floridian pools. We also enjoyed the dining options at the adjacent Contemporary. The Wave is very good and so is the counter service option.

My friend and I both own at Saratoga Springs, so we are the type who love the sprawled out layout. I would say in terms of room appeal and size, Saratoga Springs and the Animal Kingdom appeal to me a lot more. But still, BLT is a great place to stay and if I had the points for a splurge I would definitely go back to stay in a one bedroom.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends